• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So I just need a sanity check here. I ordered a couple of V-necks from Lands' End which arrived today...

(It's kind of hard to see but those labels both say S 34-36.)

I've checked the page and I didn't choose the "big & tall" option (and even if I did, that's pretty damn big and tall)... so is this a mistake as obvious as I think it is, or is there really this much of a difference in size between the merino and cashmere knits?

LE are fantastic on returns - best to either set it up by chatting online by text or use their free phone call and talk direct. Look up their hours. Look up "reviews" on their site as others may have had the same problem. Check the numbers on labels, web site and order form. Just be prepared and polite when talking.

Or just email them the photos and a query.

Most likely they'll send a replacement before you send the return. Their sizing variations between model numbers can be weird. Is one perhaps "canvas"?

edit:: it is a pretty funny disparity though - funny haha as well as funny peculiar. Which one is about the right fit?

Last edited:

FredAstaire1899

Reaction score
+100

ive been in there a couple times - first time they treated this guy really badly so then he felt uncomfy and walked out.. and then one sales person said to the other.. see told you that person was just a time waster!

but theyve done this to me too - ive been in and completely ignored. Couldnt get service if i wanted it - they probably thought i wasnt a potential customer (well I wasnt by the time I helped myself to a church chukka marked at $669 - online it was about $300!)

now when i walk past the guy just stands there looking incredibly bored with zero customers going in. Cant last forever...

I've been in there (and their other shop) several times over the years, and yes they can be very rude. My father has bought one or two things from them. When a man with an English accent in shorts and sneakers came in and asked why the price for Loakes was so much higher than in England, a middle aged salesman said that if you want them from England you have to buy a plain ticket, and when he left the staff back chatted about him not being the type to wear such shoes. Ridiculously unaware of modern competition. When my father complained that he thought the fit of Sioux shoes (I know, but he won't wear anything else) wasn't consistent across the various countries of manufacture, the salesman says "Sorry, can't help your sir" in a loud voice.

On the contrary, one of the younger and middle aged women working there are usually helpful, and reasonably knowledgeable. The middle aged woman offered me and another couple champagne because she couldn't open it - I politely declined. But when you charge $950 for Church's, $350 for Lloyds and $150 for shoe trees, forget it.

Mind you, I think that DJs charging $800 for Zegna/Bally shoes is equally ridiculous. Even worse is Ferragamo who charge $1100 for corrected grain Tramezzas.

Petepan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very little comments on fragrances in the Aussie Thread. I know we are all naturally lovely smelling creatures in our lovely sunny part of the world.

Nevertheless, I tried out the Creed scents in DJ today. Bois du Portugal is nice, but I think that style has been done to death over and over. Tabarome is quite interesting. But Vetiver really smells like laundry detergent.

As a testament to DJs customer service, I was not approached by any SAs at all during my entire time at the counter.

A list of memorable scents to me:

Drakkar Noir (memories of 80s- shoulder pads, skinny ties, pink shirts)
Tuscany
Acqua di Gio Homme (I finished two big bottles of this. I have never finished any others.)
Orange Sanguine
Trefle Pur

I have heard the Endymion by Penhaligon's is sensational. When I pass HB Sydney one day, I will sniff that out.

FredAstaire1899

Reaction score
That is shocking, and shouldn't be done. The same goes for people that dress for 2 climates at the same time. 4 layers on top, 1 on the bottom and thongs.

I would politely ask, "what gave you the idea of combining your pub shirt with your formal wear"? They'll be able to put two and two together.

A large Islander woman stopped me in the street recently, and said, "Only losers still wear Onitsuka Tigers. This isn't 2008". That was a difficult situation for me to handle.

When a friend posted on Facebook about good contemporary suits, I suggested looking at Zegna on sale. A girl replied "Who would want to wear last season's Zegna suit?".

FredAstaire1899

Reaction score
You could always check out some half price Gran Sasso at Vince Maloney as consolation. Their un-advertised sale is on at the moment, before their advertised sale next week.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Tuscany 
Acqua di Gio Homme (I finished two big bottles of this.  I have never finished any others.)
Orange Sanguine
Trefle Pur

I know that Acqua di Gio comes in for some criticism on SF and other places, but it seems (to me, at least) that a fair amount of the criticism is snobbery, because AdG is popular and very well-known.

I haven't worn AdG for about twelve years, but I remember liking it a lot - it had a nice scent and I've got to say that women really liked it and, after all, isn't that one of the main reasons that we wear cologne?!

FredAstaire1899

Reaction score
I recently bought a 300 ml bottle of Tabac Original EDC on Ebay for $35. Smell is fresh, spicy and masculine but unobtrusive, lasts quite a while too. IMHO, some of the aforementioned expensive men's Cologne's are far too strong and 'loud'. I think it's worth trying out some of the classic drug store or tobacconist colognes, they are probably old fashioned enough that people won't recognise them as common.

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I know that Acqua di Gio comes in for some criticism on SF and other places, but it seems (to me, at least) that a fair amount of the criticism is snobbery, because AdG is popular and very well-known.

I haven't worn AdG for about twelve years, but I remember liking it a lot - it had a nice scent and I've got to say that women really liked it and, after all, isn't that one of the main reasons that we wear cologne?!

You are right. AdG is too popular. I like the smell. I have used this exclusively for over 10 years. I have few other in my rotation now. Only thing I don’t like about this is it can get quite acidic.

TehBunny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I just need a sanity check here. I ordered a couple of V-necks from Lands' End which arrived today... one merino V-neck in fir heather, and one cashmere in dark mahogany heather. I ordered both in what's listed on the site as "S (34-36)".

Anyway, they arrived today and this is what they look like...

Too bad...Do you have any comments on Lands End's cashmere quality? Looking to grab the velvet plum; just never tried there cashmere before.

Petepan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You are right. AdG is too popular. I like the smell. I have used this exclusively for over 10 years. I have few other in my rotation now. Only thing I don’t like about this is it can get quite acidic.

Yes, I remember at one stage smelling AdG everywhere. I think that was when I decided not to buy my third bottle!! I am not sure of the meaning of acidic, but I did notice that there were some variations, between different occasions, to the fragrance's character after a few hours. It could mellow out smoothly and elegantly, but sometimes it would just be verging on something-not-quite-right.

THIS.

I'm deciding between Sartoria and Endymion. I can't find a tie-breaker to tear the 2 apart.
Mate, buy both!! Once you decided which one you like better, give me the other one.
lol8[1].gif

Last edited:

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Very little comments on fragrances in the Aussie Thread.  I know we are all naturally lovely smelling creatures in our lovely sunny part of the world.

Nevertheless, I tried out the Creed scents in DJ today.  Bois du Portugal is nice, but I think that style has been done to death over and over. Tabarome is quite interesting. But Vetiver really smells like laundry detergent.

As a testament to DJs customer service, I was not approached by any SAs at all during my entire time at the counter.

Tuscany 
Acqua di Gio Homme (I finished two big bottles of this.  I have never finished any others.)
Orange Sanguine
Trefle Pur

I have heard the Endymion by Penhaligon's is sensational.  When I pass HB Sydney one day, I will sniff that out.

Petepan

I do recommend the Opus 1870 very impressive tired it at HB the other day and it motivated me to get some samples from Menbiz, ordered them yesterday arrived today before 8am, wearing the BB its a very elegant scent. Not sure if its me, learning towards buying Opus 1870 if I can buy it at a reasonable price. Menbiz $169 same as HB for 100ml have looked at getting it direct from UK but they want 60 quid shipping, forget that.

They also sent a strip with Endymion (sealed in plastic) and to be honest not impressed there is something in the background that bring back bad memories of the middle 90's and working with waiters who would douse themselves in that whole Eternity, Issey Miyake, Tommy Hilfiger sameness colonge. (shudder)

A staple for me over the years has been Eauu Sauvage I did wear Tuscany for a few years and Grey Flannel (sigh memories of drop dead gorgeous Greek Egyptian girlfriend)

Do you happen to know where could one try Creed Irish Tweed in Sydney?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads