• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have done polo collar with my cotton sport coat but I agree it's gross have neck on suit contact. Mainly I've seen guys do this for "fashun" and it's usually a cheap jacket

But I doubt these people think or care about the grubbiness

I do it with my Puma runners, shorts and my Futurama tshirt. :slayer:

In all seriousness, your stuff is already pretty dirty if you wear your stuff anywhere in public, sit down on any chair, rest your arms on anything. I always wear a collar shirt with my tailored stuff anyway for comfort.

JimmyHoffa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
However I see lots of people, men even, although mainly boys and women,, wearing tailored jackets, mainly orphaned suit coats from what I can see, with V necked (shudder) or crew necked T shirts.
That is shocking, and shouldn't be done. The same goes for people that dress for 2 climates at the same time. 4 layers on top, 1 on the bottom and thongs.

I would politely ask, "what gave you the idea of combining your pub shirt with your formal wear"? They'll be able to put two and two together.

A large Islander woman stopped me in the street recently, and said, "Only losers still wear Onitsuka Tigers. This isn't 2008". That was a difficult situation for me to handle.

Selvaggio

Reaction score

A large Islander woman stopped me in the street recently, and said, "Only losers still wear Onitsuka Tigers. This isn't 2008". That was a difficult situation for me to handle.

Holy heck! Yes, I can see that is the kind of thing which could set you on your backside in a therapist's chair for quite some time.

Could have been worse though. You could have been wearing Camper pelotas...

click here

Reaction score
My workmate wore a tweed hat to the office today. The whole office gave him a hard time

John Appleseed

Reaction score
haha I just checked out Joseph's at the Strand Arcade... how the **** does this place stay in business? goddamn they are rude

gpt293

Reaction score
I have a question for the shoe experts around. I recently bought a pair of C&Js from the American Tailor sale. I haven't owned C&J before but I have owned AEs, Loakes and Meermins.

The issue is that the top layer of the sole seems to be peeling off at the toe. I've never had this issue with any of my other shoes. Is this going to be a problem going forward? Is it an easy fix for a cobbler or is it something I should be returning them over? Here are the pictures for reference:

thebrownman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

colmar and marseille?

Waddya go with?

Not the Collection ones unfortunately, although Paolo was showing them to me. I went in around midday yesterday and the store was packed.

I picked up a grey POW in cotton (unlined) and a heavy blue/grey flannel with peak lapels and a prominent chalkstripe - it was a one-off sample from last winter.

Simon at Elite

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I saw a stat yesterday that in the UK 50% of online goods are returned. I know suitsupply is about 30-40% and iconic and ASOS are about 40% too. At Owen & James our return rate is sub 5% luckily because we dont charge shipping on the exchanged goods and for an international order I lose money sometimes

So based on those odds there is a good chance the goods you buy have been tried on and shipped around the world a few times by the time you get it.

But re:paypal - im pretty sure if I refund somebody, the paypal fees are reversed! so the $30 charge is a blatant rort imo. Jase can you confirm this is the case?

A 40% Return rate??? They must operate at a massive markup. I'd certainly go broke at the margins I operate on.

Each month I set a budget for refunds, alteration credits and replacements based on the previous months sales. While 90% of the problems are caused by the customers getting their measurements wrong (although we catch most of them in our checking system) the tailors occasionally make errors and as much as I hate to admit it there have been instances where I've stuffed up as well.

I don't think I have ever spent the full budget for any month even though I'm fairly flexible in working with a customer on their first suit. If we get the first suit reasonably close we have a template for future purchases. The fact that we are generous with remakes or alterations on the first suit is the reason we get so much repeat business.

While we don't do too many refunds once the suit has been made, preferring either a remake or alterations, we do the odd one here and there if the circumstances warrant it. However like Romp, I'd say our problem rate is only around the 5-10% mark which those who know the MTM business tell is is very good. The pleasing thing is I get a lot more emails from customers each month telling me how much they like their suit and that they are looking forward to buying their next one than emails about problems.

Paypal will reverse their fees if you do a refund but I think there is a 45 day time limit.

JimmyHoffa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
haha I just checked out Joseph's at the Strand Arcade... how the **** does this place stay in business? goddamn they are rude
My sentiments exactly.

They act as if they sell the world's best shoes, and they are doing you a favour by existing.

Last edited:

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

My sentiments exactly.

They act as if they sell the world's best shoes, and they are doing you a favour by existing.

+100

ive been in there a couple times - first time they treated this guy really badly so then he felt uncomfy and walked out.. and then one sales person said to the other.. see told you that person was just a time waster!

but theyve done this to me too - ive been in and completely ignored. Couldnt get service if i wanted it - they probably thought i wasnt a potential customer (well I wasnt by the time I helped myself to a church chukka marked at $669 - online it was about $300!)

now when i walk past the guy just stands there looking incredibly bored with zero customers going in. Cant last forever...

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah I don't understand either. Same with in the QVB, there's this shop across from Ralph Lauren which sells the most god awful 80's style stuff, and the 2 guys just stand out the front all day dressed like Don Johnson. They were there when I worked for RL 10 years ago, and they are still there now I think. I can't understand with the rents in there how they last either.

The Ernesto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

+100

ive been in there a couple times - first time they treated this guy really badly so then he felt uncomfy and walked out.. and then one sales person said to the other.. see told you that person was just a time waster!

but theyve done this to me too - ive been in and completely ignored. Couldnt get service if i wanted it - they probably thought i wasnt a potential customer (well I wasnt by the time I helped myself to a church chukka marked at $669 - online it was about $300!)

now when i walk past the guy just stands there looking incredibly bored with zero customers going in. Cant last forever...

Sounds like time for a Sydney SF flash mob.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads