Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blahman

blahman Senior member

I do it with my Puma runners, shorts and my Futurama tshirt. :slayer:

In all seriousness, your stuff is already pretty dirty if you wear your stuff anywhere in public, sit down on any chair, rest your arms on anything. I always wear a collar shirt with my tailored stuff anyway for comfort.

2. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

That is shocking, and shouldn't be done. The same goes for people that dress for 2 climates at the same time. 4 layers on top, 1 on the bottom and thongs.

I would politely ask, "what gave you the idea of combining your pub shirt with your formal wear"? They'll be able to put two and two together.

A large Islander woman stopped me in the street recently, and said, "Only losers still wear Onitsuka Tigers. This isn't 2008". That was a difficult situation for me to handle.

3. Selvaggio

Selvaggio Senior member

Holy heck! Yes, I can see that is the kind of thing which could set you on your backside in a therapist's chair for quite some time.

Could have been worse though. You could have been wearing Camper pelotas...

4. click here

click here Senior member

My workmate wore a tweed hat to the office today. The whole office gave him a hard time

5. John Appleseed

John Appleseed Well-Known Member

haha I just checked out Joseph's at the Strand Arcade... how the fuck does this place stay in business? goddamn they are rude

6. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Or Gola's!

7. gpt293

gpt293 Member

I have a question for the shoe experts around. I recently bought a pair of C&Js from the American Tailor sale. I haven't owned C&J before but I have owned AEs, Loakes and Meermins.

The issue is that the top layer of the sole seems to be peeling off at the toe. I've never had this issue with any of my other shoes. Is this going to be a problem going forward? Is it an easy fix for a cobbler or is it something I should be returning them over? Here are the pictures for reference:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

Not the Collection ones unfortunately, although Paolo was showing them to me. I went in around midday yesterday and the store was packed.

I picked up a grey POW in cotton (unlined) and a heavy blue/grey flannel with peak lapels and a prominent chalkstripe - it was a one-off sample from last winter.

9. Simon at Elite

Simon at Elite Affiliate Vendor

A 40% Return rate??? They must operate at a massive markup. I'd certainly go broke at the margins I operate on.

Each month I set a budget for refunds, alteration credits and replacements based on the previous months sales. While 90% of the problems are caused by the customers getting their measurements wrong (although we catch most of them in our checking system) the tailors occasionally make errors and as much as I hate to admit it there have been instances where I've stuffed up as well.

I don't think I have ever spent the full budget for any month even though I'm fairly flexible in working with a customer on their first suit. If we get the first suit reasonably close we have a template for future purchases. The fact that we are generous with remakes or alterations on the first suit is the reason we get so much repeat business.

While we don't do too many refunds once the suit has been made, preferring either a remake or alterations, we do the odd one here and there if the circumstances warrant it. However like Romp, I'd say our problem rate is only around the 5-10% mark which those who know the MTM business tell is is very good. The pleasing thing is I get a lot more emails from customers each month telling me how much they like their suit and that they are looking forward to buying their next one than emails about problems.

Paypal will reverse their fees if you do a refund but I think there is a 45 day time limit.

10. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

My sentiments exactly.

They act as if they sell the world's best shoes, and they are doing you a favour by existing.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013

11. Romp

Romp Affiliate Vendor

+100

ive been in there a couple times - first time they treated this guy really badly so then he felt uncomfy and walked out.. and then one sales person said to the other.. see told you that person was just a time waster!

but theyve done this to me too - ive been in and completely ignored. Couldnt get service if i wanted it - they probably thought i wasnt a potential customer (well I wasnt by the time I helped myself to a church chukka marked at $669 - online it was about $300!)

now when i walk past the guy just stands there looking incredibly bored with zero customers going in. Cant last forever...

12. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Yeah I don't understand either. Same with in the QVB, there's this shop across from Ralph Lauren which sells the most god awful 80's style stuff, and the 2 guys just stand out the front all day dressed like Don Johnson. They were there when I worked for RL 10 years ago, and they are still there now I think. I can't understand with the rents in there how they last either.

13. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

Sounds like time for a Sydney SF flash mob.

14. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

It's a classic look that not even those stupid, creepy masks can spoil.

15. CHECKstar

CHECKstar Senior member

I have a single breasted (albeit 3 piece) in this very cloth and can recommend it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.