1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lancedefrance

lancedefrance Member

Hi

Thanks for all the helpful replies regarding getting a quality suit from Melbourne.

I would like to frame the question differently, where would I go to get a suit altered or adjusted. I am not talking about the local dry clean shop or alterations shop in a local mall. I want someone who can look at me wearing my suit and can say I think we need to have the following done to make the suit look better.

Basically I want a quality tailor who can tell me what needs to be adjusted, he do quality work for a reasonable price preferably based in the city but I am happy to make an appointment with him on a weekend and go see him.

2. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

There's not really a reason to use KW here in Aus anymore now that Romp's business is off the ground, is there?

3. Romp

Romp Senior member

Thanks for the support guys!

Feel free to email us at enquiries@suitshop.com.au and I can direct you to Remy in Sydney or Matt in Melbourne.

Our website will hopefully be infinitely better in a few months once complete :)

Fyi Oli thoe were smoked mother of pearl buttons on the jacket ;)

4. blahman

blahman Senior member

Though the problem with men's shop is that they severely lack in sizes. I have not once clicked on a suit I like and find my size available.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
  5. FredAstaire1899

FredAstaire1899 Senior member

I don't really think there is any reason to use KW anymore in Australia, especially since the dollar has gone down, apart from pocket squares and odd tie bars. Henry Carter is definitely higher quality in ties.

6. md2010

md2010 Senior member

Hi Gents,
    Any good tailor recommendation in Sydney's west ? Maybe around Parramatta area. To alter suit jackets/blazers .I had a good tailor in Hornsby .... but since I moved to Sydney's wild west its a bit far to travel. I also no longer work in CBD.

And just a quick review on cbd alteration tailor.

I have once used con varnavas classic tailoring in town hall arcade. This guy is old and I don't think he has good eye sight(anymore). Stuffed my PRL jacket. Rear vent stitched unevenly and stitched with a f*ing fold(one of the rear vent instead of one fold now there are two fold!). buttons on sleeves un even ..one button over laping other , one button hanging with thread - he used 1 single thread and stitched all buttons from the front side so you can see the threads going from one to another. Button hanging so much out that the brass buttons rings as I walk ! . He has done the same $hit job to my Friend's jacket around the same time . Same un even stitching every part that he altered. Plus parts of it stitched up with a ugly fold. This guy butchered my jacket. This guy don't even press the garments when the job is done. And give in correct completion date . Such a shame this was one of my nicest jacket and I paid him $150 to destroy it.

ash

7. FredAstaire1899

FredAstaire1899 Senior member

Sam Disano is in Parramatta. He is quite old too, but his work has been highly reviewed in the past. Only thing was, his bespoke prices were extremely high, and I think he miscalculated that a fully canvassed suit would be $1950 with an Asian cloth, but $4500 with Dormeuil or Holland and Sherry!!! His shop also smelled a bit 'cheap' - not the aroma of European clothes one expects from a tailors store.

8. jmills

jmills Senior member

That's great, cheers TFP. [​IMG]

Going to try some of these Sunspel polos...

9. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Senior member

You know until I joined styleforum I think the only thing I use to notice about how other guys dressed was all the public servants wearing poorly fitting suits. Im not sure its a good thing to actually be noticing now as yesterday in Sydney, meeting with banking and finance execs for the day, I thought I was going to see a lot of nice shoes and suits but instead I saw so many disappointing things...I think I may have paid more attention to the footwear disasters than some of the meetings >.<

10. md2010

md2010 Senior member

thanks mate. i will check him out.
    ]

11. Orchie

Orchie Well-Known Member

Wandered into HB yesterday to have a look at the sale. None of the pieces I've been eyeing off were even on the rack, although I did pick up a couple of pairs of P&S chinos which I'm rather partial to. Noticed that they recoup some of the money from the sale by charging for simple alterations.

Grant

12. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

What's your opinion of the CT corduroy trousers? What sort of weight are they? Good value for money? I got up at 6.30am and it was -6c currently -1c.

13. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

Thanks Plestor. Northern NSW is a bit of mystery to me so in some ways it has an attraction. I suspect Byron is a bit frantic most of the year? I don't surf but me and the boy do like to get in among the smaller stuff for a good dunking.

14. Ennuis

Ennuis Member

Hi,

Anyone have any tips on where I should get some quality trousers with larger waist sizes and shorter lengths? Prefer not to bring to an alteration service to shorten.

I've never had any really good quality ones and I'd like to invest up to $150 for a pair that will function as a comfortable 'everyday' pair. Linen pants seem pretty comfortable, so I open to anything.

Don't mind getting bespoke trousers (if I can get them at that price).

Thanks

EDIT: live in melbourne if that helps

15. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

You wont get anything bespoke at that price locally, probably not even MTM. Maybe Luxire online might be able to make you something around that price.

16. Ennuis

Ennuis Member

On the site, it recommends that I use my best fitting trousers - sad to say that I don't really have one. Do you think I should go to a local tailor to get measured up and then punch in the numbers on luxire?

thanks

17. nabilmust

nabilmust Senior member

Yep, just fill up the form, and wait for the DHL dude to come and pick it up. No cost at all to you.

I've met KW, he's a polite chap - but I really wish his products were as stand-up as him.

1 person likes this.
  18. nabilmust

nabilmust Senior member

What you'll end up with are measurements only - but no idea if those measurements will translate into your best fitting trousers.

Your options:

(A) Make one here with one of the better tailors. Keep that as a reference.

(B) Take your best fitting trousers, alter as close to well-fitting, and then use that as a reference.

Bear in mind that option (B) may not be as cost effective as it may appear. Some aspects of a trouser cannot be altered too well, or too cheaply.

19. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

I've only got a couple of knit ties and a few pocket squares from Kent, and they're all good. The bicolour knit ties are excellent.

I've no idea at all about his made-to-measure suits, though.

20. Plestor

Plestor Senior member

No really that hectic outside of say the peak of summer holidays and the bluesfest (Easter), the rest of the north coast is much less developed and has more of a small community feel. Early summer is good for the smaller stuff, the coral sea and you're unlikely to get to much from the trades either. You will however get the NE winds which can make things unpleasant if they get up too much.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.