1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ennuis

Ennuis Member

What is the length like on the trousers? I wear a large size but I'm afraid they will be too long.

2. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Holy mackerel - after a few slow days, I check this thread in the morning, go to work and when I come back, there are about 80 new posts!

Good to see some pics of outfits.

Coxaca - I agree with the comments about the patterns. Mixing patterns is great and, done well, it can really elevate an outfit, but I don't think that the shirt is suited to the rest of the outfit. A plain white or sky blue shirt and a darker tie would have suited the jacket much more.

However, I really like the opal cufflinks - very nice.

I wore one of the shirts from my latest batch of Deer Style shirts today, and was very pleased with it. The Acorn oxford cloth is really excellent.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Details:
    - Suit by Herringbone;
    - Shirt by Deer Style, from Acorn cloth;
    - Lightly lined silk twill tie by G.Inglese, via Deer Style;
    - Pocket square by Kent Wang;
    - Socks by Pantherella; and
    - Shoes by Loake

3. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

I like your cufflinks. I have a similar pair but with sterling silver instead of yellow gold.

4. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

I've also got a similar pair of cufflinks to coxaca's and they were also from my father. Mine are oval bowls and opals, rather than triangles.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
  5. Romp

Romp Senior member

Never going to be perfect but id say the 38R is a better base for you.. Especially in length.. You could take in the arm width and maybe in the front waist where it's bunching on your right side. It may be a dropped right shoulder which causes the bunching.. Hard to tell from a photo.

6. billbro

billbro Active Member

Picked up the Tobias in navy and the Xavier earlier.

Is the Xavier actually green though? It looks grey in the photos and that is what I would prefer.

7. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Senior member

What loakes are those? Colour stands out

8. wurger

wurger Senior member

Loake Strand Burgundy

9. WhiteTigerElite

WhiteTigerElite Member

Thank God they're out of my size, I would've cried.

Yeah mainly polyester, but this is a temporary solution. fits perfectly OTR which is rare for me, Gerry you were right perhaps 2cm too short haha.

10. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

+1.

After I got them a few years back, I gave them a good going over with RM Williams' leather conditioner a couple of times before wearing, and then also gave them a polish with some slightly darker brown Saphir polish. I also gave the toecap and heel counter a polish with Saphir black polish, and then with mahogany polish to darken and distinguish the toe and heel a bit.

11. lennier

lennier Senior member

I'm going to try and drop in there today and check out the Xavier for colour. Almost did so a while back when it was first reduced, so glad I waited :)

12. lennier

lennier Senior member

BTW has anyone used MJ Bale's online delivery lately? Have they improved the handling of jackets? My one and only experience was awful, with things woefully poorly packaged and arriving in a terrible state. They told me at the time that they were going to improve it.

13. nabilmust

nabilmust Senior member

Still, too much for the office. Unless you're in advertising firm.

If it were a Tweed Run or a meetup of like minded dandies, you would have checked all the right boxes (sorry, couldn't help myself).

The shoulders on the 38 look a little too big for me. The shoulder seem should sit about 1-2 cm after the natural shoulder. The 38 seems to be about 3cm off. And shoulders are the most difficult/expensive part of the suit to alter.

Then again, the length of the 38 is better.

Oh dear. Wish I could be more helpful.

14. JohnsNotHere

JohnsNotHere Senior member

Thanks for the heads up... copped

15. boff

boff Senior member

Anyone going to the MJ Bale Birkenhead Point outlet? I'm heading there tomorrow lunchtime for the start of the sale.

16. Dusty Brogues

Dusty Brogues Senior member

Hi Lennier,

I experienced very similar to yourself, very poorly packaged, and the coat had more wrinkles than (insert name) However they went above and beyond to apologise and reassured me it will not happen again. Funnily enough l had an MJ suit sent up from Sydney DJ's that same week and it arrived in a suit bag, in perfect condition. If you in the business which includes significant online sales, delivery has to be bang on! Obviously a suit will not be as crisp if you pick it up from the store itself, but you know when something is sub standard.

17. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

Non-sartorial question for the Queensland brethren - where's a good place for a holiday? Been to Port Douglas, Palm Cove and Noosa in the recent past. Thinking about an island visit. Objectives are beach and relaxation. Looking for a good quality rest.

18. CHECKstar

CHECKstar Senior member

I've tried on the grey Tobias jacket on in store (after picking up the pants a couple of weeks earlier), thinking it was an easy way to pick up another decent cotton suit after already picking their blue Xavier suit. Despite what the measurements say, the Tobias jacket is cut very differently to the Xavier, and is even more casual. It was difficult to put my finger on what was wrong with it, but I think it was just the overall balance. It also doesn't button particularly well thanks to the uber-high button stance. The material was finished in a way that the jacket could only really ever be worn in a casual environment, IMHO. Also worth noting that the Tobia pants are very slim fitting, and has the typical MJ Bale low rise.

19. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Yeah that was my fear too looking at the images, the xavier suit looks all over much more balanced and similar in cut to my suit from them. And you and I are similar heights off memory so if it doesn't work for you then there it won't for me either. Thanks for posting.

20. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

I also have the Tobias jacket. Stupidly, bought it online thinking I knew my size in mj bales stuff.

The jacket is on the short side, and would be way too short for you Jason. It's main problem is it has a really poor fit in the shoulders which causes a massive amount of collar gap.

I would however recommend their chinos which are fantastic bang for buck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.