Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Romp

Romp Affiliate Vendor

Perhaps, but I think nice clothes are a universal topic regardless of orientation. I think there are always stylistic or fashion cues that are more common in various "tribes" depending on the "message" you are trying to send on-lookers

Even on this forum we have the older guys, the thrifter types, the country/RMWilliams enthusiasts, the lawyer/new job entrants, the bespoke-ballers etc etc

I dont think ive ever seen a Sydney "meet" but from the guys i have met/chatted to through here all have that common interest which is great.

2. PapaRubbery

PapaRubbery Senior member

Go out for Indian, and she'll be giving birth in the ambulance!

:p

3. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

Well said.

Is there is a marked difference between heterosexual and homosexual men's style? I've found you generally can't judge a book by its cover.

4. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

FTFY

5. deingesicht

deingesicht Senior member

I have a pair of tan coloured shoes (Tricker's) and have a matching tan belt (Oroton) which is slightly too light, any ideas on how I can make the belt darker given the shoes will only get darker with time?

Further, I think my belt stands out too much, any suggestions on a colour of a belt that could go well?

[​IMG]

6. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

Try a brown polish. Or a leather conditioner known to darken leather, like Obenauf's LP.

7. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

I never wear tan shoes with suits so I don't know if people match the belt? It would be pretty loud with a navy suit, that's for sure.

8. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

Speaking of suits, wife was very keen on a Canali double breasted navy chalk stripe. This is the best picture I could get from Google:

[​IMG]

Eventually passed, firstly because of price (HK$18000 before alterations), and secondly, not sure whether it stands out too much in Sydney. Also not sure whether I can pull off those massive lapels. Any fans?

9. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

Especially when there is zero break in your pants!
    Go for it Pete. If your lady friend likes it, that is all the endorsement you need. Big lapels mean bigger everything......send the right message.

Jason, great news re: the little one. Rob was elated with his new little princess, he had an O&J extravaganza! It is only fair you do the same. That orange tie of yours has got me frothing from ear to ear.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  10. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

Pete, I think this is one of those decisions that if you can't make your mind up on your own then you need to find an honest, knowledgeable and faithful friend who will go in to the shop and give you a blunt assessment - good or bad.

In theory a navy, chalk stripe, double breasted suit sounds fantastic. I would love one myself. But so much would depend on your body shape, the fit, the cut etc that I don't think you can really crowd source an informed view (though no doubt everyone on here will have an opinion!).

11. Dusty Brogues

Dusty Brogues Senior member

This is all diabolical all this innuendo and conjecture! .... It is is probably true though [​IMG]

Mr Sy being the consumate gentleman that l am, l am leaving Valentines Day in the capable hands of Mrs DB....

Over to you now...Who's drink do you intend on spiking? On that note Be Quick! you will need to stock up on roofy's! I'm thinking maybe you could make your move on one of the many Irish Backpacker bars on George street... Leave your classic menswear at home or they'll read your intentions a mile away - it's time to get the Tarocash pants back, and in honour of the very sharp Nabilmust rip off the belt loops!

12. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

I vote "yes".

I've got a Caruso navy chalkstripe in a lightweight flannel that (in my opinion) looks excellent. The stripes on my suit are slightly less widely spaced than the stripes in that picture, but the suit in the picture looks excellent, at least given the part that is visible.

Of course, I suppose that some people might tease you and say that you look like Michael Corleone, but I'd just ignore them!

I just remembered that I've posted some pictures of my DB navy chalkstripe suit in the past - see here, here and here.

13. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

Matt who?

14. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

Nothing like water from the top end.

If I am to hit up an Irish Bar, I will need you as my wingman. There is no way I will have the courage to pull this one off alone:

Belt loops, OFF! Tarocash, ON!

15. Selvaggio

Selvaggio Senior member

Not so sure about this. It may be that the straight members of the forum, or Aussie ones to be more precise, don't think twice about a reference to their significant other, whereas for the gay members such a reference is always loaded - so they may choose not to make such a reference. In other words there may be plenty of gay members, but you just might not know that from their contributions. (As an aside, I have noticed a trend amongst the yanks on the forum of extravagant displays of sexism, almost like they use it as a shield against any suggestion that they might not be straighty-180)

Also, it is a fairly small group of members who actively contribute to this thread - not sure you are getting to statistical significance.

I can see the logic of your view. Discussing style is not something readily done in Australian (straight male) society - so this forum, as an kind of outlet, is going to be of more use to straight guys who loke clothing but don't have anyone to talk to about it. I think that is fairly accurate.

Whereas, style, or fashion if you like, is a more acceptable as a topic of conversation in gay circles. Trouble with this is it is a bit too reliant on stereo-types - real life often doesn't conform.

Some of my gay fiends have no sense of style at all - zip. Some of my straight friends are actually pretty well-dressed a lot of the time. I don't talk to any of them, regardless of their sexuality or style-sense, about clothes - or certainly not to the niche level of detail discussed here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.