1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oli2012

Oli2012 Well-Known Member

Nice! Thought you had them in suede tho :(

2. suttonzach

suttonzach Well-Known Member

All - I have some black AE Strands in 10B which I acquired online under the mistaken assumption that they were D width - they're too narrow for me and was wondering if anyone here would be interested in them before I put them on the general market. They are brand new, first quality, but shipped without a box. Will take $200 ONO. (I will put up some pictures tonight once I get home)

3. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Well-Known Member

No the Clarks DB are in a brown chocolate suede Marbles rocked up on Saturday wearing the Clarks DB in Ambergold the colour is lot more vibrant than how its depicted on line.

I am going to get a pair of RMW Rigger boots MTO in Camel need a new pair of lace up brown boots.

4. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Well-Known Member

They would be dry cleanable wouldnt they? Its a good point you make though. I know only 2 ppl have given opinions but I expected there to be a strong sway to navy, I am a little surprised by the beige love hrmm decisions.

5. Romp

Romp Well-Known Member

yup

~$460 for bench,
    ~$560 for hand

dont remember exact pricing but its roughly in those range

6. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

Another vote for beige here - I've got a Burberry trench in the "classic" beige (or "taupe", as I think Burberry call it) colour and I wouldn't have it in any other colour.

7. thebrownman

thebrownman Well-Known Member

Hi Gents,

I'm selling a few things, please PM me for further information:

1. Crockett & Jones Belgrave Handgrade shoes in Antique Chestnut Calf, Size 9E UK, brand new in box

2. MJ Bale Blue Grey Flannel Suit, size 40R, brand new with tags, $350 including shipping

3. MJ Bale Mudgee Weave Grey Trousers, brand new with tags, $110 including domestic shipping

4. Herringbone Sydney white OCBD shirt, size L slim fit, brand new with tags, $60 including domestic shipping

More stuff to be put up, particularly Herringbone shirts in size 39 neck or slim fit large. If there's something in particular that you're after, PM me and I may be able to assist :)

8. Osiris2012

Cheers, sounds like SF has spoken, only two votes for Navy were from some non SF'ers.

Its a good looking suit hope it disappears quick at that price, I would have grabbed it when you had it at a higher price but I just don't think those trousers will tailor well from a 34 to a 31.

9. Romp

Romp Well-Known Member

10. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

It might be simpler to wash your wrists!

Basically anything can be washed. Wool trousers, shirts, shoes suede and leather - etc. (and btw Dry cleaning isn't DRY). It just depends how careful you are with washing and in many cases the drying.

Mostly - washing (gently) by hand in blood temperature water with no or mild soap and rinsing well , then drying flat on a towel or wiping down first and not in front of a heat source will work for anything. Your desert boots, your Meerkat shoes, your suit, your socks, undies, shirt or overcoat. I wouldn't wash a tailored jacket unless I was feeling courageous but it can be done. Most harm in washing is done in the drying - if that doesn't sound too silly. Best practice is do not wash in hot water, hand wash not machine wash, machine wash only on gentle, do not spin dry, dry flat, do not dry near heat source.

In general soap just makes water more watery. And lets it soak in and remove dirt. Too much soap just defeats the purpose and can (will) grease up the water. Most detergent manufacturers recommend you use too much soap in wash machines - they would wouldn't they - that why theres a grease build up in machines. As a general tip use half recommended dose in a machine.

Soaking the material is what really gets rid of most stains. It loosens the threads and allows trapped dirt to escape with bit of rubbing. So soaking - at least over night - will often preform miracles.

Strictly speaking, if you want your shirts to last and be easily clean, when you take them off each day/night, you should chuck them in a bucket or tub of water - straight away and leave until you are washing next. I assume you do wash regularly every 2 or 3 days. Washing shirts in cold water or warm is better for them than sending to dry cleaners - not to mention cheaper. This assumes you do not chuck them in the dryer. Ideally do not let machine to spin dry either and hang out to drip dry.

My two long overcoats get a wash every now and then. (not once a year)

The beige one has detailed and long instructions on washing on the lable - the navy one has DRY CLEAN ONLY. They are both made by the same company with the same 65%/ 35% cotton poly mix. The beige one has a heavy zip out lining which I never use anyway - so it doesn't get washed with the coat. The navy one has sewn in "normal" lining and a few washes haven't hurt it. The Navy one is calf length and the FULL Inspector Gadget - epaulets, sleeve belts, double breasted, rear button up long vent, shoulder flaps ,buttons everywhere. The beige one is also long but fly fronted - more a Colombo.

11. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Well-Known Member

TBM can you please fatten up and extend your feet, then go and buy a whole bunch of this stuff and sell it here....one size too small for me. Oh well, easy to resist temptation.

Congratulations (you look so proud).

12. nabilmust

nabilmust Well-Known Member

That navy trench (second from right) looks nice

13. nabilmust

nabilmust Well-Known Member

Having said that though, the first trench I got was a beige one.

Thrifted the vintage Dior it off ebay:

[​IMG]

14. Osiris2012

That was an informative post fxh but the inspector gadget reference was priceless hadn't considered that with some of the coats :p
    Just a standard Burberry trench, both on the right are just burberry ones. Those are just from ebay reasonably priced, don't think I could part with the cash for retail burberry, unless they were on sale perhaps. The one on the left is all cotton though, lined.

15. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

Overcoats.

What you think you look like:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

What others see:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

16. lachyzee

lachyzee Well-Known Member

I much prefer simple Macs... much less fuss. Or, if not, then a minimalist model like Kent Wang's navy trench.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2013
  17. Oli2012

Oli2012 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

A bit overcast this morning, but my polished up boots wanted to say 'Hi'.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2013
  18. Osiris2012

haha well played :)

19. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Well-Known Member

You forgot the dirty old man sitting on the park bench.

1 person likes this.
  20. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

You are welcome to post a selfie!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.