• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

lachyzee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Get the Strands. The Fifts Ave the cap is rather short. Which is kind of ugly IMO. Walnut is really light in person. I had to get used to wearing my strands at work. Attracts a lots of attentions. People will ask you what shoes you are wearing and/or compliment them.

I'm pretty sure the cap toe on the fifth ave/strand is the same length. (Actually no you're right, the strand is slightly longer) I have brown fifth aves, don't find the captoe short at all. It's longer than an equivalently sized park avenue.

Last edited:

aussiejake

Reaction score
Just confirming that Rekaris shoe repairs are on Russell Street yeah? Not Lonsdale (old shop)?

iSurg

Reaction score
Great minds?
cheers.gif

Woke up to what my weather app said was 9 degrees. So glad I packed this chunky db shawl cardigan.

I knew that, one day, this purchase would make sense (I bought this while I was still in Singapore).

Saw that one on the tumblr - one of many of my favourite looks
worship.gif
. Swap your ciggies for Cubans, and let's smoke up.

Inverallan stocklists include neighbour store, coggles (IIRC) and end clothing, among others (again, IIRC).

Inverallan* - looks damn nice. Which stockist did he get it from?

I kopped mine from an interesting company, Allevol.com http://www.allevol.com
It's run by a guy named Taka in the UK who is very pleasant to deal with. Picked up the last small size from him.
Part of the allure with this sweater company was the story - a bunch of fishermen's wives who decided to sell their knitting online. However, they cut back their email ordering, and the website was closed down. Stylefo members used to be able to order individualised hand-knitted sweaters at a good price (in the ~200 bracket), but now no longer. They still produce but tend to concentrate on larger orders with subsequent increase in their retail price (which is bad, I guess). But as far as I know, some little old Scottish fisherman's wife will still have knitted my sweater from start to finish in her homely cottage by the fireplace lol. Obviously not Inis Meáin or Lockie cashmere (or price either), but it's supposedly made of good quality, hard-wearing, non-China lambswool. What I enjoyed was going on an online journey reading about cashmere and the state of the current industry. Matt might be able to comment more than I can on knitwear...

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]In other news, my brother returned from his HK/Japan trip with suitcases full of goodies - AC shirts, YWY commissions, awesome Japanese items. Got to give him an A for effort, he managed to visit all 3 Ring Jacket stores. Tried on his RJ tweed blazer from the Osaka store and OMG, I just about died. Awesome fit for RTW and basically feels like MTM. Didn't need to alter the sleeves at all. Perfect soft shoulder and self-quarter-lined. High armholes but you can move your arms all round with the jacket staying still. Super-light. I am very jealous. Can't fault it except that the fabric feels more delicate that I expected - Ring Jacket "Balloon" fabric. He also got to meet some of my blog heroes - the Armoury guys, Mr. Nakagawa of Nackymade fame, the old Italian tailor from Tie Your Tie, etc. Makes me want to get back there again, but my wife won't hear it. Don't think I'll be in Hongers or Japan for a while. Instead, I'm working on preparing her for a visit to Al Bazaar and Liverano.... kekeke[/FONT]

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

I kopped mine from an interesting company, Allevol.com http://www.allevol.com
It's run by a guy named Taka in the UK who is very pleasant to deal with. Picked up the last small size from him. 
Part of the allure with this sweater company was the story - a bunch of fishermen's wives who decided to sell their knitting online. However, they cut back their email ordering, and the website was closed down. Stylefo members used to be able to order individualised hand-knitted sweaters at a good price (in the ~200 bracket), but now no longer. They still produce but tend to concentrate on larger orders with subsequent increase in their retail price (which is bad, I guess). But as far as I know, some little old Scottish fisherman's wife will still have knitted my sweater from start to finish in her homely cottage by the fireplace lol. Obviously not Inis [COLOR=222222]Meáin or Lockie cashmere (or price either), but it's supposedly made of good quality, hard-wearing, non-China lambswool.[/COLOR] [COLOR=222222]What I enjoyed was going on an[/COLOR][COLOR=222222] online journey reading about cashmere and the state of the current industry. Matt might be able to comment more than I can on knitwear...[/COLOR]

[COLOR=222222]In other news, my brother returned from his HK/Japan trip with suitcases full of goodies - AC shirts, YWY commissions, awesome Japanese items. Got to give him an A for effort, he managed to visit all 3 Ring Jacket stores. Tried on his RJ tweed blazer from the Osaka store and OMG, I just about died. Awesome fit for RTW and basically feels like MTM. Didn't need to alter the sleeves at all. Perfect soft shoulder and self-quarter-lined. High armholes but you can move your arms all round with the jacket staying still. Super-light. I am very jealous. Can't fault it except that the fabric feels more delicate that I expected - Ring Jacket "Balloon" fabric. He also got to meet some of my blog heroes - the Armoury guys, Mr. Nakagawa of Nackymade fame, the old Italian tailor from Tie Your Tie, etc. Makes me want to get back there again, but my wife won't hear it. Don't think I'll be in Hongers or Japan for a while. Instead, I'm working on preparing her for a visit to Al Bazaar and Liverano.... kekeke[/COLOR]

I really admire Simone righi from tie your tie. Does he have a store in japan too? I met him in his store in florence 2 yrs ago

Edit: liverano only great if u can go a few times for fittings etc. you are better off visiting frasi tie your tie and if you are in milan for lino's al bazar then go a tad further to torino check out jack emerson .. They are more fruitful for holiday rtw purchases:)

Last edited:

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Also who on here is behind harrison fjord/agoodman.com.au? I stumbled across the website and its pretty cool.. They reference styleforum a few times

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I really admire Simone righi from tie your tie. Does he have a store in japan too? I met him in his store in florence 2 yrs ago

My understanding is he never owned the tie your tie name, it's a Japanese company. But the shop was always his, and it is now named frasi. He still sells the tie your tie knit ties though. There was an article on permanent style recently.

JimmyHoffa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I kopped mine from an interesting company, Allevol.com http://www.allevol.com
Part of the allure with this sweater company was the story - a bunch of fishermen's wives who decided to sell their knitting online. However, they cut back their email ordering, and the website was closed down. Stylefo members used to be able to order individualised hand-knitted sweaters at a good price (in the ~200 bracket), but now no longer. They still produce but tend to concentrate on larger orders with subsequent increase in their retail price (which is bad, I guess). But as far as I know, some little old Scottish fisherman's wife will still have knitted my sweater from start to finish in her homely cottage by the fireplace lol. Obviously not Inis Meáin or Lockie cashmere (or price either), but it's supposedly made of good quality, hard-wearing, non-China lambswool. What I enjoyed was going on an online journey reading about cashmere and the state of the current industry. Matt might be able to comment more than I can on knitwear...
Hmmm sounds pretty damn good. I needed a cardigan, and went with one from Epaulet - currently in transit. If only I knew about this crowd! Epaulet must charging a huge markup?

elisiX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone dealt with luxius in Neutral Bay, Sydney before?

Looking to get almost all of my shirts tailored (shortened sleeves and body) and am hoping to find someone local.

Gilmour

Reaction score
Call it a Topy and it's a chunky piece of rubber suffocating your delicate leather shoes; add "Élysée" to the name and it's the latest stylish addition to your bog standard clodhoppers, allowing you to safely navigate French cobblestones while puffing on your Gauloises and having your photo blogged leaning on a fixie... It's all in the marketing you see
laugh.gif

FWIW, I think Topyd shoes can look as well, if not better, than the original leather soles - if done properly. Not to mention the obvious longevity benefits already discussed.

I don't topy all my shoes straight away though, I usually wait until it's time to get the first heel replacement done at the same time.
I like this idea can you get Elysee topys done in Aus

nabilmust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Anytime.

Quote:

Sounds like an awesome trip.

I found the same (feedback on fit) to be true for RJ, when I was in Hong Kong, as well as Boggi, in Florence. I brought back a navy hopsack 3-roll-2 from Boggi to my tailor get the sleeves shortened, and she was quite taken aback at how well the jacket fit, OTR (she knows how oddly shaped my body is).

This chimes with what GW has said before - that Italian and Japanese RTW brands fit the Asian physique quite well.

According to Gianfranco (I'm just making up his name, I can't remember it), Italian OTR shirts are made with more room in the front, and a darted back because "we Italians love eating pasta and pizza, we enjoy life". Works great for me, if the shirts fit me as well as they did, fresh off the rack.

dsvelte

Reaction score
Besides Mensbiz, is there anywhere else that stocks Penhaligon's fragrances for a competitive price?

I noticed that Harrolds at Westfield Sydney had Penhaligon's fragrances at 30% off the other day, I am not sure how their prices compare with other sources.

They also had some remaining new Saint Laurent stock that looked like it could fit an skinny 12 year old.

Has anyone checked out the new Dior? A bit underwhelming to me but their giant glass and metal stairway down to men's suiting is like the hellmouth version of the Apple Store stair.

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hey guys

This will be Owen and James' final week as an official Style Forum sponsor so feel free to take advantage of the members discount and also the Chino sale while they are active. Unfortunately we only have a small marketing budget so we are looking to try some other options to get more reach.

Ill still be around to handle any questions etc and also hopefully soon be able to let you know about a new MTM suit project that I am working on.
biggrin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads