1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Thanks and glad you are happy with it. Will have a look for you for the burgundy stripe when choosing next seasons stuff. Talking about Borelli & SF, my tie makers in Naples while being not huge company, also make for the likes of Brioni and Ralph Lauren, which gives you an idea of the sort of quality they stand up against. Jason

2. FredAstaire1899

FredAstaire1899 Senior member

Sorry, I mean't gold/yellow stripes on burgundy, similar to my pic, but more densely stripped. Cheers for having a look.

Have you ever thought about doing a 'couture' line of ties or do the 7 folds already represent this?

3. coxaca

coxaca Senior member

I have only bought one item from R&B, but it's a beauty. A three-piece suit in charcoal grey with a self-coloured windowpane pattern. They may still have them on special now. Sold as a two-piece with the waistcoat as optional extra, but I would regard it as an essential part of the design.

This suit gets so many insults. People tell it "Why are you, a thing of such beauty and refinement, draped over that appalling tosser?"

Most of their stuff is not my style. Shirts seem like good quality but they all have huge stripes or chequerboards on them. Oh, for a plain shirt.

4. coxaca

coxaca Senior member

I'm sure the coffee would be superb, but it's not going to be espresso. Some people just like espresso (and milk coffees based on espresso). Plus you get to fiddle with the machine, which is tactile and sexual in a way that pushing on a plunger will never be.

5. coxaca

coxaca Senior member

Santoni have an online sale right now. Lots of loafers and other weird'n'wunnerful stuff. A few classics too.

I would pull the trigger on these -

[​IMG]

- except that I just took delivery of some G&G double monks. Love the antiquing on these Santonis though. They refer to this colour as "mud". Gotta love that.

[sigh] I wish I had an endless credit card. Really need to go find a rich old Hong Kong heiress to perform feng shui on.

6. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

Brogued double monks. I don't know cox, I couldn't see Katter wearing it at all.

7. coxaca

coxaca Senior member

Should Katter be my style guru?

Enquiring minds wish to know.

8. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

You're right, he might not be conservative enough either, and thus my search for a conservative style icon goes on :(

Serious though, beautiful shoe, but a bit too bling for me.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2013
  9. meister

meister Senior member

I reckon Tie Rack started to lose it about 4 years ago. I remember when I went in there and some dickhead at HQ decided to arrange the ties on the basis of price rather than colour.

I remember writing an email to them in the hope they would see sense but obviously I was ignored (!).

The inevitable failure to take my advice had brought the company down.

There is a lesson there somewhere....

Is it that easy? :facepalm:

10. Henry Carter

No worries I get what you mean, all good.

The 7 fold do represent the top line for me and tend to sell the best when compared to 3 fold, but then I carry a lot more 7 folds so that skews it a bit. I can do 9 folds and have thought about doing a few limited editions, but they'd be pretty pricey at around $140. $100 is a good sweet spot for the Australian market so its not a big priority if I'm being honest.

11. coxaca

coxaca Senior member

What's with Topying shoes?

If I want wet-weather shoes I'll buy storm-welted Dainite.

Topy just seems all wrong to me. Like condoms.

12. fxh

fxh Senior member

I passed the shop in n Australia hotel/arcade today, going out of business, no wonder, the bloke their seems to dress like a refugee from the 70s Grateful Dead concerts, in beanie, tie dyed tops and happy pants. Anyway Meister their ties were arranged by colour, mostly shiney pale pastels. But i did get 3 ok silk pocket hankies and a black cotton knit tie for $10 all up.

13. Stebbin

Stebbin Senior member

I find topying increases the life of leather soled shoes and reduces slip. They also help when you're wearing leather soled shoes to after work drinks at pubs where god knows what has been spilled/splashed on floors. I don't like the idea of that stuff soaking into my leather soles.

14. wurger

wurger Senior member

I topy all of my shoes, and yeah, like condoms, it provides safe walking and lesser maintenance.

15. fxh

fxh Senior member

Katter actually does scrub up pretty good for an Australian pollie.

I have you pegged as the sort of bloke who'd think Sophie Miribella was a hot, ethical intellectual.

16. fxh

fxh Senior member

I suppose that would make sense if your walking life is as lacking in variety and serendipity as your sex life.

1 person likes this.
  17. Henry Carter

I just had my first pair done last week. I've always been against them and didn't do it to make them a wet weather shoe (already have those).

I replace the heel rubber and metal toe taps of my shoes about every 12-18 months and this makes a big difference to wearing life but my cobbler talked me in to trying it for 1 pair. I have to say as a former critic I'm really impressed. Good grip and he has done a great job of fitting them flush, and installed new taps over them very cleanly. Prob worth mentioning also that dainite, while good for keeping water out doesn't grip very well on slippery surfaces. Topy grips much better.

18. wurger

wurger Senior member

Having topy done on shoes will not affect aesthetic of the shoe at all when viewing from the top, nor will it change fit of the shoes other than make it more grippy.

And I don't' see how a worn leather sole is better looking than a rubber topy? Keeping the original leather look would be the only reason for not topying.

19. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

Oh Lordy, can we not have this conversation again? Flares up once every few weeks when a new shoe enthusiast shows up.

20. wishiwasricher

wishiwasricher Senior member

Did you use thesun a cobbler jase?

I've topied a couple just to prolong their life and have toe taps on others. I know some people are against them aesthetically but to be honest- I don't get too many comments about how good the soles of my shoes look.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.