• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

joiji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let me just say.

You will not find in Australia anyone who will hand stitch a resole.

You will find very few in other countries who will hand stitch a resole.

I never said it would be easy to find. I was reasonably sure I implied it would be difficult, actually.

I agree with your position on Topy's, as well as the need for people to recognise the difference between brands. Not that Topy is the only choice, as I believe Vibram makes a similar range of sole guards. Unfortunately I have yet to find a cobbler in Adelaide who uses either of these. Apparently the brand 'Ausy' or somesuch is quite popular.

aKula

Reaction score

Nice post, fxh!

If anyone in Melbourne knows where they use < 1.8mm thick Topy Elysee, please do let me know. That said, 1.8mm is fine. I've had it done on many pairs of shoes and have no qualms doing it again.

Now, fxh don't go requoting that last line in a whole other context.

I have Delos make me a new pair of shoes when the sole wears out. No need for topy.

/bigtimer :foo:

jmills

Reaction score
Vanda, Rubinacci direct (depending on the ET stock), ASW has few interesting reprint H&H designs by drakes, Charvet for the
foo.gif
square, Sam hober if you can find nice designs, some of the new Kent Wangs are nice too.

Thanks very much, plenty of ideas there to try. Vanda's ones are particularly nice.

What's the foo square? I tried searching and I can't turn up anything, possibly a bit of SF history I've missed?

Plestor

Reaction score
Vanda, Rubinacci direct (depending on the ET stock), ASW has few interesting reprint H

Thanks very much, plenty of ideas there to try. Vanda's ones are particularly nice.

What's the foo square? I tried searching and I can't turn up anything, possibly a bit of SF history I've missed?

Cream silk. He hates white linen and uses cream silk in the same way.

Last edited:

thebrownman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Who here has had OTR double-cuffed shirts converted to button cuff without a new cuff being made from new fabric? I.e. You've had to use whatever's there for the new cuff.

burnso

Reaction score
I agree with your position on Topy's, as well as the need for people to recognise the difference between brands. Not that Topy is the only choice, as I believe Vibram makes a similar range of sole guards. Unfortunately I have yet to find a cobbler in Adelaide who uses either of these. Apparently the brand 'Ausy' or somesuch is quite popular.
One and the same it appears?
Both my topyd shoes have 'Ausy' in some spots, and 'Topy' in others, on the same strip of rubber...

sliq

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With this wet weather lately I'm thinking about topying my business shoes, as I'll be walking around a reasonable amount and would prefer avoiding death by cobblestones. Tried using the 'search this thread' feature, but not much luck; where can I get a good topy job done in Sydney?
i get mine done at parramatta since i work out that way. close to the station there's a Hungry Jacks. Behind the hungry jacks is an arcade. Inside the arcade there is a cobbler named Simon.

Petepan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

With this wet weather lately I'm thinking about topying my business shoes, as I'll be walking around a reasonable amount and would prefer avoiding death by cobblestones. Tried using the 'search this thread' feature, but not much luck; where can I get a good topy job done in Sydney? 

Coombs at Strand Arcade and Brices on Castlereagh are old establishments worth trying. I do mine at Kev's Shoe Repairs in the Telstra building on Pitt Street near World Square. My wife used a cobbler in Cronulla who also did a decent job on some of her boots.

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Code:
Browsing the internet for pocket squares - it seems that HC's web server has detonated again, currently having a look at Drake's and Exquisite Trimmings, any other suggestions/reccomendations?

Yes sorry this is the 4th time in 3 weeks it's crashed, it's seriously giving me the ***** to say the least, especially when I'm powerless to do anything about it until the it gets back to me. Hopefully will be back up directly.

Nicholas D C

Reaction score
Coombs at Strand Arcade and Brices on Castlereagh are old establishments worth trying. I do mine at Kev's Shoe Repairs in the Telstra building on Pitt Street near World Square. My wife used a cobbler in Cronulla who also did a decent job on some of her boots.

i get mine done at parramatta since i work out that way. close to the station there's a Hungry Jacks. Behind the hungry jacks is an arcade. Inside the arcade there is a cobbler named Simon.

Thanks guys. I think Coombs will be closest to my workplace so I'll give them a go. Would I be looking at $30 or so per pair?

JimmyHoffa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I think Coombs will be closest to my workplace so I'll give them a go. Would I be looking at $30 or so per pair?
You'd be looking at $45 to $50 per pair.

As I have said before, the Cobbler's Association have banded together on the pricing of Topy in Sydney.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads