1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TehBunny

TehBunny Senior member

Hnnnnnggggg!

2. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

Where did you 'copy and paste' that from Fxh? [​IMG]

Well said, I feel like I know more already.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  3. meister

meister Senior member

The Grandmaster does not need to "cut and paste".

4. fxh

fxh Senior member

Michael - I just banged a rant out off the top of my head while watching QI then the ABBA doco.

I'm not sure it says what I want but I think the general idea is there.

Its just an expansion of some of the other issues in skills based artisan trade work. I've also had a long interest in the schemozzle that is/was the Australian Wool Industry, from inside and as a consumer. The best fine wool in the world comes from here yet we have no high end suiting etc textile industry. Its not clear why. I'm also inclined to blame, at least partly or even mainly, the Wool Politics Industry (protectionism, mercantilism and the floor price fiasco as well as other issues) for the decline in worldwide consumer demand for wool garments in the 60, 70s etc. Not to mention the associated machinations in te market withteh floor price leading to loss of trust between the Italian textiles industry, the Japanese and even the English mills that is still effecting us..

5. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

You're an ABC man. That says it all. How are the Doc Martin repeats treating you?

I wish I could comment on other apsects of your post, but it'd just highlight my ignorance in the area.

What I have found growing up in Sydney, is that there is a hell of a lot of 'children of immigrants'. Many of them, under the heavy influence of their parents, are opting to head into: law, medicine, financial services, marketing, journalism etc. Where I have grown up, the idea of leaving in year 10 and pursuing any kind of trade was not pushed at all, infact, it was almost silently frowned upon. This is my observation in the last 10 years. I look around at University, my course in particular, and there are a hell of a lot of people that shouldn't be there. It must be easier to get into university than ever before, and the trades are feeling that. 15 years ago, a builder/plumber/sparky wouldn't have treated you the way they do today. Trades aren't popular at the moment, getting a degree is.

6. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

MS, I don't understand what you mean here.

7. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

I did the same but as you said, pics will come soon.

8. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

A lot of people joke about the fact that you don't need to attend a lecture to pass a subject.

You can get a degree, albeit passes, when you don't even put much effort in.

You'd expect people that are diligent, studious and hardworking to be at university. It just isn't the case for a large portion.

What proportion of high school leavers went on to to get a university degree 40 years ago? What proportion of high school leavers go on to get a university degree today? That difference is the swing from trades to tertiary. Tailoring is a trade that will and has been the first to go - it isn't an essential trade.

The government has made it pretty clear. Australia's future lays in innovation, not manual skills. They want people to go to school for longer and get more qualifications.

9. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Couldn't have put it better myself!

10. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

Not necessarily; people's reasons for attending university vary. Some are interested in the (noble) acquisition of knowledge, for others it's just something they have to do to get the job they want and they couldn't care less for it. There are scores of other reasons, I guess.

11. ColdEyedPugilist

ColdEyedPugilist Senior member

Now that brings back memories... And reminds me of my age. :)

12. oldsberg

oldsberg Well-Known Member

Picked up a shirt from Charles Nakhle earlier today and I am very satisfied with the result. If there are any Sydneysiders searching for some good shirts, look no further.

Off to Melbourne tomorrow for a long weekend. Anything special one shouldnt miss going there?

13. Gerry Nelson

Double Monk for shoes, Huxtaburger and Chin Chin for food.

14. oldsberg

oldsberg Well-Known Member

Cheers!

15. Gerry Nelson

No worries. I'm sure others will chime in soon enough [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.