Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Romp

Romp Affiliate Vendor

+1 .. I dont think you can truly gauge an items quality by where it is made. There has been sooo much investment in china that good quality stuff can be found quite easily nowdays,

Equally there is alot of "made in italy" stuff that is shocking quality.

Mjbale suits seem quite decent at the price point, perhaps too slim and the lapels too narrow but really thats an aesthetic thing. The materials used seem decent .. Not sure what the 2 for 1000 line use for cloth but ive seen loro piana swatch books in the cbd store (is there mtm?)

2. flexiflex

flexiflex Active Member

I understand the reason to offshore and have the suits made in China, as the labour cost is cheap. But why Japan? Thought the labour cost is comparable to Australia. Japan is renowned for quality products and having stuff made in Japan give me the same impression. Why MJ doesn't have their products made in Australia and they can put a stamp on their suit, (100% Aussie made)
    I already bought 2 suits from MJ, and I didn't look at Herringbone and they don't fit me very well. too loose. but thanks for the heads up Journeyman.

3. flexiflex

flexiflex Active Member

Do any of you guys meet up or anything like that? I think we are a bunch of niche as the state of Australian fashion is shocking. At least in Sydney, Melbourne is noticeably better.

I think due to the this fact the price of quality men fashion items in this country will continue be high, and will be difficult to find.

I haven't ordered anything (clothing items) online, but I think I will have to go down that path at some point.

4. blahman

blahman Senior member

Those two points are pretty much why I made my comment.
    First suits are usually just write offs. so let it be an inexpensive one.

5. Spandexter

Spandexter Senior member

She's a good looking girl and he's only human. No need for alarm.

6. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

There's a difference between inexpensive and a waste of money.

7. Selvaggio

Selvaggio Senior member

I was not born in Balmain. Most people who were born in Balmain have cashed in long ago and moved to Woy Woy - but have lived there for the last twenty years. So I know a lot of the businesses in the area. Jazma shoes in the Arcade are also good - shoe repair and a small retail section (Loakes, Wolverine Boots, Bartelesi).

I think first suits are only usually right-offs because the hapless owner doesn't know better. But it doesn't have to be that way.

Matt, I think an MJ Bale or Herringbone, on spesh, would be an excellent first suit. I'd go navy as I think it is more versatile and looks less like you've worn a 'business suit' on the weekend as a charcoal may. Lighter greys are okay for daytime, but might not be right for an evening function. Navy also goes with a broader range of complexions.

Some may not agree with this, but if you swap out the stock buttons to something like a horn button, you could probably wear the jacket as a blazer if you go with navy. You might get lucky and find a funky fabric - like, say a linen/wool blend wich has a bit of a casual edge, but is fine for the odd wedding/funeral/opening night/bah mitzvah/awards function/speech night etc. Go formal with a white poplin shirt and a dark tie or you could make it more casual with, say, a pink oxford cloth shirt and no tie.

I reckon if I only had one suit - it would be a decent OTR in solid navy. It is the Swiss army knife of suits.

8. md2010

md2010 Senior member

:rotflmao:

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013

9. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

Agree one hundred percent.

And Gillard has just named the election date WTF? I think my life as a government contractor is over. Time for a career change. (again, sigh)

Worse I don't think my bullshit detector will last till September.

As for AP contract couriers the same bloke has been doing my area for years and he is good at his job. If I am not home we have an agreed place where he can stash items, benefits of living in small rural city. Mind you my mate who lives in Potts Point is constantly going on about how useless the AP contractor is.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013

10. Selvaggio

Selvaggio Senior member

I've used Parcel Point a couple of time for deliveries now. Adds three bucks, but you get peace of mind and low hassle in return. I just get a text when the parcel has arrived and go an pick it up at the news agency in my building.

11. Romp

Romp Affiliate Vendor

FWIW Owen and James is an authorised Parcel Point retailer - all returns can be handled via Parcel Point for peace of mind.

12. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

Anybody here old enough to remember the song Election Day by Arcadia (Duran Duran)?

Days of boys in makeup and HUGE MFecking Shoulder Pads.

13. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

When I was little I used to sit on the fence and chat with the postman. My mum stopped thinking that was OK when I told him how old she was ...

14. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

15. Dusty Brogues

Dusty Brogues Senior member

So, who gets there milk delivered?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.