• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

flexiflex

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am new to the forum and been reading it quite a bit lately.

I bought two suits for 1k special from MJ Bale. The material feels good and I have been told they are all 100% Australian Marina wool. I paid another $100 for the extra trouser for each suit so 4 in total.

To my horror they have made mistakes twice for my pants hem shortening. first time was too long, it was probably because at the first measurement I was wearing loafer. 2nd time guess what, they were too short. it was to the extend the socks reveal without any break. I took it back to the flagship store and the manager was very nice and sorted it for me. at final last!

Two suits are the exact same cut. As you would expect the fit isn't perfect and there are a couple of adjustments to be made to make them look smart on me. I think the cut is a Italian style, with minimal padding on the shoulder. I prefer a slim style suits. Both suits are mainly for work purpose. I think I would need the following done:
- shorten the sleeves about an inch
- shorten the length of the jacket, about an inch as well
- Trouser is a bit too loose and needs to be slimmed down
- waist is a bit tight. I can button up but after a big meal I would struggle

So here are some of the questions I have:
- what people think about the quality of MJ Bale suits and their quality of the wool material? they claim they are 100% Australian Marina wool. They don't tell you if they are super 120 or something like that, just 100% wool...
- Most importantly, can someone recommend me a good tailor that can do a good job on suit alteration in Sydney without charging too much. I really don't know how much I should expect to pay for jobs described above.
- I have done a search on this forum (trust me I really tried), and some people recommend:

- Hayel & Son Alteration & Tailoring

Any other suggestions? I got a couple of shirts need to be altered as well (shortening sleeves)

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance for any input.

Cheers

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So I have two wedding invitations this year, and I currently own 0 suits. Neither wedding is black/white tie - so a simple suit should suffice.

Thinking back over the discussions I've read, I can recall two major options for suiting in Australia:
- MJ Bale (plus alteration)
- PJ MTM

I know Romp's hinted at some other stuff, and people have mentioned Azzaro in Melbourne a few times as a place with some options (although the other retailers like American Tailors, and Henry Bucks are usually 'overpriced', correct?).

I suppose I'm tossing up whether it's worth going the MTM route (which is most money, but from reports of higher quality) or OTR + alterations (presuming the suits can be altered appropriately).

Some of the things that are attracting me to PJ are:
- Choice of cloth (since I sweat a lot and often feel 'too warm)
- Measurements done by someone who is (presumably) competent (I don't know a decent tailor, nor do I have much of an idea about what makes a good suit)
- Options (in terms of colours, construction, detailing)

How does that compare with MJ Bale? Have I missed any options that are worth considering?

I'd rather just get a cheapy from Zara or Topman or something on sale. Hardly worth dropping a lot of dough on a first suit that you're just going to wear twice a year. Go cheap to begin with then go baller later.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Austpost contractors arereally a big disgrace. Couple of months ago I waited on a package in the morning with door wide open and computer screen refreshing status every 5seconds. Literally saw when the status changed to attempted delivery. No van drove by, no card left until late afternoon. The Guy probably went straight to the pub after picking up packages.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Austpost contractors arereally a big disgrace. Couple of months ago I waited on a package in the morning with door wide open and computer screen refreshing status every 5seconds. Literally saw when the status changed to attempted delivery. No van drove by, no card left until late afternoon. The Guy probably went straight to the pub after picking up packages.

burnso

Reaction score
Yes...DHL now forward their packages to Auspost....

Herring shoes uses DHL now...major downgrade from UPS.
I feel the opposite, loving DHL: mainly due to the exceptionally quick delivery from UK to here (ie ordered Mon night, receive Fri morn) and they work throughout the weekends.

I have had DHL forward parcels to AP over the weekend. I just assumed it was because of the large volumes on the weekend. Im sure they've personally delivered during the week...

I also had Aus postie issue: with no delivery attempt and leaving parcels unattended. Rang Auspost, put in a quick and standard complaint, issue sorted...

Last edited:

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I feel the opposite, loving DHL: mainly due to the exceptionally quick delivery from UK to here (ie ordered Mon night, receive Fri morn) and they work throughout the weekends.

I have had DHL forward parcels to AP over the weekend. I just assumed it was because of the large volumes on the weekend. Im sure they've personally delivered during the week...

I also had Aus postie issue: with no delivery attempt and leaving parcels unattended. Rang Auspost, put in a quick and standard complaint, issue sorted...

DHL offers few different services . If you use DHL EXPRESS then they will do they delivery . Most people confuses DHL express with other services that they offers. I have used most dhl services. DHL track and trace is a good service but takes about 1 week and au post delivers. Worst service they provide is the parcel(dhl packet) . That takes about 20 working days- and au post delivers the goods.

Last edited:

DartagnanRed

Reaction score
I have now added that suits wiki in my sig to newbies asking about suits. It's nothing special and for some reason the layout of the page is screwed up since last time I looked at it, but use it as a start point.

In regards to the endless alterations in Sydney question: Con Varnavas in Town Hall Arcade is a good, classic tailor who does great alterations. Common prices are $20-25 for hemmed pants, $50 to have a jacket taken in at the back and $50 for really good quality crotch repair for pants that have worn through. Not sure about sleeve altering on suits or shirts, but he's generally pretty reasonable. Here's a link: http://www.truelocal.com.au/business/con-varnavas-classic-tailoring/sydney

Appreciate that he is old fashioned, don't expect him to call you when things are done. The basic process is: you walk in, he looks skeptically at you, you tell him what you want, he pins you or makes some markings on ****, he shoos you out with a vague estimate of when things will be done, you come back then, try **** on and realise he's done it perfectly (in my experience) and walk out bewildered. Only after multiple repetitions of this process will you get any inkling that he likes you.

JimmyHoffa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Red Dart to the rescue!

If you live in the Inner West/West, and don't want to travel to the city for alterations try Amy's Alteration in Balmain:
http://www.yellowpages.com.au/nsw/balmain/amy-alteration-and-tailoring-14173777-listing.html

Raiza is a good tailor who is quite honest and open. He is an Afghan refugee who has been here for about 9 years. Prices are very reasonable. The experience will be pretty similar to that of DR above.

My biggest piece of advice: don't try and save $5 by shopping around for tailoring. Go to someone who is close, someone who is good. I paid $20 to get my pants hemmed, you paid $15, woopty-*******-doo.

Pink Socks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After the discussion over the weekend (the white shirt saga etc) I could not help myself when choosing a shirt this morning. Very casual outfit of royal blue cotton trousers with grey socks, brown leather penny loafers and a brown leather belt. No tie, no jacket (as a Scotsman it is hot enough for that in Melbourne just now). I had to choose a WHITE full spread collar shirt with FRENCH CUFFS (worn rolled admittedly). I think it looks fine (for the casual look it is) and feel very comfortable in it.

Oh dear, oh dear...

Pink Socks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My biggest piece of advice: don't try and save $5 by shopping around for tailoring. Go to someone who is close, someone who is good. I paid $20 to get my pants hemmed, you paid $15, woopty-*******-doo.

Woopty-*******-doo exactly.

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

After the discussion over the weekend (the white shirt saga etc) I could not help myself when choosing a shirt this morning. Very casual outfit of royal blue cotton trousers with grey socks, brown leather penny loafers and a brown leather belt. No tie, no jacket (as a Scotsman it is hot enough for that in Melbourne just now). I had to choose a WHITE full spread collar shirt with FRENCH CUFFS (worn rolled admittedly). I think it looks fine (for the casual look it is) and feel very comfortable in it.

Oh dear, oh dear...

Whatever you do don't post a fit of it in a bar.

lennier

Reaction score

I decided to stay home today in order to sign for a parcel. The tracking page has just updated, and is now showing delivery was apparently attempted at a time when I was at home. No delivery card can be found placed in the door or in with the mail. The parcel is now stuck at the local, which opens late and closes early, so there is no hope of collecting it in the next few days. Is it common for these Australia Post delivery drivers say "screw it" and lie about attempting delivery?

And yes, this was an expensive courier company that decided to forward the parcel on.

:censored:

Yes, in my and other's experience it's very common for courier drivers to simply not bother and then claim they 'attempted' delivery. I know someone who was home and actually saw the courier stop briefly outside his house to chuck a card in his letterbox then drive off. Didn't even try ringing the bell. God knows why they think the few minutes saved in such a situation is worth risking their job over if they're caught.

lennier

Reaction score

Yes...DHL now forward their packages to Auspost....

Herring shoes uses DHL now...major downgrade from UPS.

That's a real shame. That said, I got running shoes from the States via DHL (and presumably AusPost) in about 4 days door to door, which was surprising and impressive.

Edit: this was DHL Express, which from another post sounds like it is all DHL, no AusPost.

Last edited:

nabilmust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been biting my tongue on this philosophical discussion, but there is a comment I would like to make.

If Foo or Manton were to relocate to the Arctic Circle or to the Sahara Desert, do you think they would continue to insist on "the rules", or do you reckon they might start to adopt some of the local ways of dressing? I suspect that bespoke Rubinacci suits might fall out of favour pretty darn quick.

My point is that appropriate dress has a cultural and environmental context that the utra-fastidious do not take into account. I do not believe that either Foo or Manton has spent enough time in Australia to warrant them being held up as experts that we must copy.

"The rules", such as they are, seem to be largely derived from the way English people dressed about 100 years ago. The business, social and climatic environment we live in is totally different to that, and sometimes following "the rules" can only lead us into days of massive personal discomfort when dealing with conditions that these gents have probably never had to dress for.

Ahh, you made the dangerous assumption that Luca isn't prepared for the Arctic Circle.

Or the Sahara

For the avoidance of doubt, this is meant in jest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads