1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ovlov

ovlov Senior member

Did you follow http://www.styleforum.net/a/what-should-i-ask-my-groomsmen-to-wear perchance? I'm copping flack from all sides atm for even suggesting we don't all hire the same matching suit and ties.

Actually I though HC ties were all standard imports so no variation. I may have another poke around or drop Jason an email.

2. acinod

acinod Senior member

Yeah everyone says its dry but I tried conditioning my hair every day but after a few hours it just dries back up. To make it worse my hair has been naturally grey since age 6. I guess the good thing is that I have a lot of hair; my grandpa was >70 but still have a full head of hair.

Going to get my haircut at the crappy asian hairdresser again, i'll tell her to cut it really short since I guess that's the only option I have right now..

3. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Ovlov I'll send you a PM later on, but yes I do quite a few special orders for weddings, and as mentioned can do custom embroidery on the keeper, tipping etc with date, names etc. It's something I'm going to expand in to more in the coming year. It of course takes time so depends on when the wedding is.

I've also just got a new stock silver 7 Fold Grenadine just gone up which is a perfect wedding tie. The smaller weave I do makes it quite formal.

[​IMG]

4. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

I'm sorry to criticise Jason but they aren't traditional wedding ties per se.

[​IMG]

I get that in Australia it is an effort enough to get someone in a tie for their own wedding let alone a proper macclesfield wedding tie, and that there are many ties that can look tasteful at a wedding. But some traditions are worth keeping IMO.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
  5. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

You've been reading too much of that Manton blokes book again!

Seriously though, that's ok, everyone is entitled to there own opinion but I don't really believe in the saying that there is a set of "proper wedding ties", nor do I buy in to the whole Macclesfield thing. A "Macclesfield" tie is a widely misused term, especially in wedding tie terms. It actually means that the silk is woven or in most cases with Macclesfields, printed in the Macclesfield area in England, no more no less.

I'm a big fan of cream ties for weddings, and wore one for my own too and I think the vast majority of cream & silver ties that are in discreet and plainer patterns are perfectly acceptable for weddings for the groom and party to wear, as long as a white shirt & PS is involved at all times.

6. ovlov

ovlov Senior member

Ha! I think ill let you two more knowledgeable gentlemen duke it out and just follow the final decision. ;)

Side note. Had any old man stop me in gawler place this afternoon to tell me how nice my shoes were and that "they don't make them like that anymore". Still feeling a little awkward that this pretty much made my whole day.
    Even if he did ask if they were churches.[​IMG]

7. joiji

joiji Senior member

8. punchdrunkwelle

punchdrunkwelle Active Member

The glen plaid.

9. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

do not want to sound unpatriotic but a bit meh about Samantha Stosur at Wimbledon when we have 2 exciting young stars in Monica Puig and Laura Robson. If I am a betting man, my money is on this two to do very well in the years to come. Plus easy on the eye, and most importantly, no stupid screams and grunts even though they engage in power play.

1 person likes this.
  10. PapaRubbery

PapaRubbery Senior member

I always get compliments on my shoes - definitely makes your day!

Even got the name of some bootmaker in Footscray by some random at the train station. Bitch was mirin' hard.

11. TehBunny

TehBunny Senior member

Haha getting comments on shoes is great....sadly none from workplace these days (been there too long :p) yet every now and then get stopped in the street; feels good :)

TBM- What happened with the Belgraves, sizing? Remember being excited for you when you grabbed them from DM; bad luck dude.

Chinos- Wouldn't recommend getting Green Suede Chukkas as a shoe as it seems your fairly new to clothes, not that versatile IMO Especially the crepe sole, though the Christian Kimber one looks pretty versatile as its not too saturated.

Wedding Ties- as long as the ties are in the colour scheme (ala Jason's comment; grey, silver) they should be fine, but hell if your wearing a tie your doing darn good :) Also wouldn't recomend blowing the cash on Drakes, just start simple(hell I have a couple polyester ties and they tie great knots!).

12. streetminimal

streetminimal Senior member

Not to be a wet blanket but if getting compliments about your shoes makes your day then you need to check your lifestyle. They're just shoes. I mean yes, they are much better than what grown men in Australia wear to work but come...on.

13. Duxnuts

Duxnuts Active Member

Thanks guys! End up with this odd oxblood brown colour in a soft leather loafer. Looks really good, I look for something in green like the chukkas but couldn't find any :/

14. Duxnuts

Duxnuts Active Member

Sorry have another question that I meant to ask earlier. Got an awards night coming up, just wondering if a young guy can pull off a double breasted suit or if I will just look weird? All of my suits (3) are single breasted 2 buttons but I just wear them to work and felt like I should go out and buy a new one for the occasion! If I win an award I have to be looking sharp!

15. iSurg

iSurg Senior member

So much love for Liverano from The Armoury. Looking forward to this.

PS. DB rocks. Get it. Wear the eff out of it.

16. hasnostyle

hasnostyle Active Member

Nothing wrong with feeling good about getting complimented on what you are wearing.

17. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

I completely agree with this.

18. wurger

wurger Senior member

We should cherish the few that appreciate the subtle finer things in life.:slayer:

19. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

I completely disagree. Of all the things I'd splash out on it would be ties and pocket squares - they're the focal point of an outfit and unlike shoes, shirts, suits etc aren't subject to wear. Also a little ($100-150) goes a long way.

I'd rather own 6-8 stunning ties than 20+ of polyester crap. Alongside a black and navy grenadine (the ties of the novus homo) a wedding tie would definitely be top of that list.

20. fxh

fxh Senior member

I get complimented all the time - by stunning models who are just gagging for it

Ties should not be "stunning" thats First level = Donald Trump, Real Estate agents in general - and 5th level.
    Most people here should be in between levels.

Ties should be subversive not obvious.

I have over 150 ties. + two more square end knits FREE given to me today.

If I'm honest (a rare occurrence for me) I wear around 8 regularly.
    Two of these are polyester paisley

No one notices.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.