• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Appleseed

Reaction score
What sort of price should I expect to pay for a shirt by Charles Nakhles @ Paramatta? I need several standard, every-day plain white business shirts. I am wasting too much money trying to find a OTR brand with a good fit and just wondering if it would be more cost effective to go the bespoke route. I am just asking for ball park prices here, I realise a lot of variables come into play. I have read about $250 which would be the sweet spot for me.... but that information may be outdated.

TehBunny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry no idea John; but I think having a single pale blue shirt made with those whites would add more versatility.

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I can't wear pants without pleats as I have a pretty big ass and thighs; I must come flash my pleats at you some time :p I switch between double and single when I feel like it but it doesn't really seem to me that either one particularly looks better on bigger men; rather that they just look better on bigger men and only sometimes on thinner builds.
Edit: Beijing does them splendidly!

Like Mr Bean when he finally dried his pants? :p

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What sort of price should I expect to pay for a shirt by Charles Nakhles @ Paramatta? I need several standard, every-day plain white business shirts. I am wasting too much money trying to find a OTR brand with a good fit and just wondering if it would be more cost effective to go the bespoke route. I am just asking for ball park prices here, I realise a lot of variables come into play. I have read about $250 which would be the sweet spot for me.... but that information may be outdated.

Why don't you give him a call and find out?

JimmyHoffa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
DR going in for Carminas. I am not sure whether to C&J or Carminas for my next shoe :\.

Marbles

Reaction score
What sort of price should I expect to pay for a shirt by Charles Nakhles @ Paramatta? I need several standard, every-day plain white business shirts. I am wasting too much money trying to find a OTR brand with a good fit and just wondering if it would be more cost effective to go the bespoke route. I am just asking for ball park prices here, I realise a lot of variables come into play. I have read about $250 which would be the sweet spot for me.... but that information may be outdated.

May be worth checking out the online MTM offerings first - you can get pretty good results and decent fabrics for $60-$80 each (down to $40 if you prefer, but I don't know what the fabric is like), or as high as you'd like.

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Brice's Shoe Repair in Castlereagh St.  Best in Sydney IMHO.

Don't know if they are the best. I have used Brice's and also Coombs Shoe Service @ Strand Arcade. Both do good job. Both will charge you $45.
But again anyone can apply topy with the right tools.

FredAstaire1899

Reaction score
Where in Castlereagh St is he, out of interest?
155 Castlereagh street just outside the Piccadilly Arcade on the DJ's men's side (they used to be in the old Imperial Arcade). Mr. Brice doesn't own the store, it was bought from him ~ 50 years ago by a late (very nice) gentleman called Michelle. Michelle also bought Coomb's in the Strand Arcade from Mr. Coomb. I personally believe the service and work done at Brice's to be better, although some of the repairer's do move between the two shops, and Coomb's is still good too. They also sell all the Collonil conditioners, creams and sprays and Angelus shoe polish.

With regards to a Topy sole, you can choose the colour of the rubber and whether or not you want the sole to be stained or inked. You can also choose between all rubber heel toplifts (some have a red dot for Topy which I don't like - so specify against me thinks) or 1/2 leather 1/2 rubber ones. Expect to pay about 40-50 for the Topy, ~70 for Topy and toplift.

For what its worth, my family has used them for at least 30 years and the work is almost always spot on and neatly done straight away. If there is a subsequent problem, they'll fix it up for free without any hassle whatsoever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads