1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

Basically it depends how wide your feet are. In nearly all shoes I take a 9 1/2 UK, if not then usually a 10 UK.

I have the Common Projects Achilles in 9 UK (43). Length wise they are spot on, and they are fine width wise with thin or no socks. Think the 10 UK (44) would be a good fit too.

Not sure how much that helps you. I was in Incu today and they had some, on sale too. This was in Melbourne but the Sydney branch might have some too.

2. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

iPhone double post.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2013
  3. smeggett

smeggett Senior member

I saw it in 3D Wednesday night - not really sure why 3D was necessary...

Agree with the rest of your review though.

Oh, and I'm still wondering how you can turn such a short book into such a long movie and still miss out so much of the story!

4. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Cross-post from the thrift thread. Here's my op shop adventures for the day.
    [​IMG]
    Bunch of pocket squares/hankies.
    Top-to-bottom: Roberta di Camerino, Balmain, Dunhill, Dunhill, illegible brand, Calvin Klein, Nicole and an unbranded silk.There was also a couple of Ungaros that were exceedingly girly so I've already given them to some perfumistas I know.
    [​IMG]

Cartier Must de Cartier EDT, in its own leather pouch. Probably about 5-10 ml of juice left.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Burberry's DB jacket, gold buttons. looks near mint. Size not marked (does this indicate MTM?). My measurements suggest it's something like a 40R drop 6.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Brooks Brothers cotton trousers, my size. Is this the BBGF label?
    [​IMG]

Paul Smith shirt with contrast detail inside the cuff. Size 17.5/44.
    [​IMG]

Four Turnbull and Asser shirts FC. Size not marked, but they measure to around a 15.5/40 on my tape. The moron at the shop put the price tag through the collar points, causing a pinhole in each one. Can this be fixed with a wash/iron. steam etc?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

I had a similar experience. I'm a UK10.5E/EU45, and i sized down to a 44. They are great lengthwise, but I felt a bit cramped for width. I put them in shoe trees for a week and after that they were fine.

6. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Senior member

haha this was available in 3D? thats a crack up. Can't wait for Pride and prejudice 3D now

7. Nolvadex

Nolvadex Senior member

I had a look at a couple websites that were link and the shipping costs were pretty decent, I don't want to trouble you with more baggage on your trip. Thanks for the offer though, I appreciate it.

8. fxh

fxh Senior member

CD - noice haul. Hope you're not on my territory or I'll have to get the lads to put the frighteners on you.

Today one opshop one Hawes & Curtis OCBD striped as new =$4 right size.

Edit:: usually I find a wash fixes any holes in collar due to use of safety or pin in collar.

9. ColdEyedPugilist

ColdEyedPugilist Senior member

Thanks Quar.

And good call on suggesting the wider lapels. They do look better. Also had the rise increased and the a tad more break.

BTW have you seen his button-down shirts? The linen ones are superb!

10. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

1. A friend of mine wrote what I think is an excellent critique of the film (mentioning the good and the bad and how it relates to the book), which can be found here: http://kaleidoscopicphantasmagoria.blogspot.com.au/2013/06/cant-repeat-past-no-baz-you-cant.html

2. I'm planning on visiting the USA and Canada over their winter, when it's snowy. Walking around Mildura last night (when it was about 3-4 degrees), I relised that sneakers won't be enough in colder weather - I need some boots. Should I just grab some RMW, or do people have some recommendations for other boots that are sturdy, can work in other situations (as opposed to some Red Wing/White Mountaineering boots) and aren't super expensive (like Guidi, etc)?

11. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

Matt, would it not make more sense to get some boots over there? Unless you have use for them now too. RMs would work well as would a nice pair of chukka boots. I wear my suede pairs all the time (but they would be no good in the snow).

In other news, went for a bit of a look around the shops in the city yesterday. Surprisingly quite a bit to see in David Jones, and, with the sale, reasonable prices. Of note, some nice lightweight tweed jackets and a navy blazer (with brass buttons which would look better changed to horn) and some grey flannel trousers (not in my size unfortunately) from Ralph Lauren, some nice stuff from MJ Bale and Paul Smith upstairs, the new Denim and Supply stuff from Ralph Lauren (somewhere between RRL and Rugby) and a few other overpriced things (Zegna was one I tried on) down to more reasonable prices.

I ended up get a beautiful, quarter lined, Donegal tweed jacket for Hackett. It was reduced but still not cheap. Love fabric and a perfect off the rack fit on me. Also my wife loved it (which always helps). I have wanted another tweed jacket since my last one got too big (look out for it on B&S sometime in the future). They are so great for dress up a shirt and jeans and work really well with a pair of odd trousers and a nice knit tie too.

Will post some photographs later on, if I get around to it.

12. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

This may be true - but I really don't know. I would avoid chukka boots (simply because they'd be useless in the snow and I was hoping to get some boots for that weather, plus when it's colder here).

13. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

I've always been a bit on the fence about Hackett. On the one hand I really like their fabrics and their more modern cut. But on the other hand the quality can be hit and miss and their jackets are top dollar. Good if you can get them on sale though.

14. coxaca

coxaca Senior member

Wait until you get there to purchase. Allocate time on Day One of your visit to go to some kind of working-class outdoors/work gear store and buy yourself a really nice pair of lambswool-lined Sorels with removable (and therefore washable) inners. These are the ultimate cold-weather shoes for Canadian conditions and they are relatively cheap if purchased from a no-nonsense "regular guy" store. They may strike you as ungainly, but everybody wears them in the Canadian winter and of course, one removes them indoors. (All private homes are equipped with a selection of indoor slippers for inhabitants and guests, racked up just inside the front door.)

Do not underestimate the ferocity of the Canadian winter. It is not possible to be wearing too many clothes or too warm a garment, shoes included. Sorels have a particularly deeply-etched commando sole which will grip most types of snow. The idea of wearing RMs in these conditions is laughable - you will be flat on your back in 30 seconds and the shoes will be ruined in 5 minutes. Your Sorels OTOH may save your life. An Aussie slipped, fell into a tiny creek and froze to death in Niseko (Japan) last year - this was in a built-up area. Similar things happen in Canada, most of which gets a lot colder than Hokkaido. People break down in their cars, and they die. Happens there every winter.

If you're warmly dressed and suitably shod, it's fantastic to be walking around in minus 20 degree conditions, especially at night, or when it's sunny. (Yes, brilliant sunshine and minus 20. Expect this kind of shit.) Enjoy your trip.

15. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

Yes, sort of agree. This jacket was over $1000 originally which seemed too much. The fabric is beautiful (Robert Noble, Made in Scotland) and as it is quarter lined you can see the quality finishing. Nice cut, soft structured in a very British way if that makes any sense.

16. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

Matt, I think it really comes down to what you prefer aesthetically. Assuming your budget is around $350, your other options apart from elastic sided RMs are Cheaney or Loake brogue boots like the FS029 or bedale. Alden Indys' RRP is quite a bit more but some of the others here might know where to get them cheaper.

Another option might be the RM rigger boots, which have a similar look and would probably be quite good in the snow with a treaded sole and vesta leather. Also they're just shy of $300. Look good with jeans...

[​IMG]

17. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

18. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

Matt -

Even as an RM Williams fan I would tell you to be wary of their shoes unless you choose a model with a very heavy tread.

The ice and slush of snow makes footpaths very slippery. I ended up on my ass a few times in Finland/Amsterdam wearing dyna flex craftsman.

19. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

Well, I was going to try and get a commado/danite sole on whatever I grab.

The thing that's confusing is that many Americans recommend something such as Alden or Oak Street Bootmakers - fine shoes no doubt - but are they really better than RMW? Maybe so, but I'm unsure.

20. coxaca

coxaca Senior member

Sure, you could go with something like the above.

Then, after your femur has healed, you can hobble into a work-gear store and buy a pair of these:

[​IMG]

Or, if their lack of metrosexual finesse offends your SF-honed sensibilities, and you don't mind dropping a fair bit of extra coin, you could go online to hunt down a pair of these from your hospital bed:

[​IMG]

It's up to you. Just make sure you have travel insurance - orthopaedic surgery bills tend to mount up quickly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.