1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

Yeah I was gonna say, they're everywhere now and look pretty gross.

Btw, if anyone's after a real Aussie chukka RMW can do the kingsvale with a medium-narrow or wide toe instead of the standard chisel.

2. Stebbin

Stebbin Senior member

I just placed my order for a pair of custom RMW Macquarie boots in french calf and a brass screw sole the other day after seeing Princeofpaisley's pair. Hope I don't slip on those soles!

3. TehBunny

TehBunny Senior member

Thanks Oli! Will do first needa pop into my local store and get sized (5 mins from house booyah!); good to hear Stebbin hope they turn out great!
    Edit: I like moleskine trousers and sketchbooks; never tried a jacket but would it be that much different to a suede bomber? And I like sueded bombers....

4. Plestor

Plestor Senior member

I hope you walk very very carefully. Due to the lack of sole acting as a "bumper" screw sole based shoes tend to scratch and scuff very easily.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
  5. Stebbin

Stebbin Senior member

Haha, I consider that a tradeoff for the extra sleekness. I've got a few jars of Saphir so maybe having a mirror polish may mitigate that to some extent.

6. ColdEyedPugilist

ColdEyedPugilist Senior member

My goto leather jacket is a reversible A2 bomber with tan suede on one side and navy leather on the other. It's from some Italian maker called Schiatti. Had it for years and intend to keep it for many more...

7. TehBunny

TehBunny Senior member

DIS SHIT ABSOLUTELY CRAY!

1 person likes this.
  8. Mr Engineer

Mr Engineer Senior member

Can you guys recommend me some Austrailians websites for suits and sportscoats? I just know of Herringbone Sydney

9. Stebbin

Stebbin Senior member

Depends on your budget and what you're looking for. MJ Bale, TM Lewin are some options if you are looking for off the rack. The benefit is there are stores where you can have a better gauge for the sizing.

For MTM, there's Patrick Johnson and Suitshop which seems to have a dedicated following in this thread.

I've also personally had some success with Elite Suits but you will find that opinions here are mixed.

10. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

I've seen some Schiatti jackets in Japan. They looked very nice, but they certainly weren't cheap - I think that they were priced at around $2000. The leather on the one that I looked at was lovely and buttery soft.

11. nabilmust

nabilmust Senior member

1 person likes this.
  12. meister

meister Senior member

My cobbler in Manly Nick Pascuzzo - who is new to the area and (despite being only 36) is a fully trained cordwainer/cobbler was telling me the shoemaking apprenticeship course at TAFE has closed.

He said he was amazed but a sign of the times that no one sees a future in what is a very lucrative business. He has so much work in Manly he really needs

1. A bigger shop.
    2. An apprentice which he does not want because of the cost and trouble accommodating one in his small shop.

13. ColdEyedPugilist

I was lucky with this one; Varino, a Sydney habadashery similar to Harrolds was having their EOFY sale, and the price was reduced significantly. As I recall, there was also a model with dark brown suede on one side and sky blue leather on the other.

I have not seen anything similar since.

14. ColdEyedPugilist

Good to know there are still skilled craftsmen doing well here in Oz. May he stay profitable for many years more.

15. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Has anyone else had trouble uploading photos over the last couple of days, by the way?

I've been trying to upload a few pics to this thread, but after I've selected a picture from my photos folder and clicked on upload, nothing further happens.

I'm using a relatively new iMac, and I was able to upload photos last week, but can't do it this week.

Does anyone have any idea why that might be the case? I can still upload pics to Tumblr, but not to SF, so I'm guessing that it's something to do with the way the Forum's software interacts with the Mac's OS.

I've put a post in the "Forum technical issues feedback thread", but don't know how often it will take to receive any sort of response, so I thought that I'd at least see whether anyone else here had been experiencing issues.

16. ColdEyedPugilist

Let's give it a try.

Pics of my new PJ and the Schiatti:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  17. ColdEyedPugilist

Probably the Mac (just managed to upload some photos^).

That said, I find that with some networked PCs, you can't upload either...

18. DartagnanRed

DartagnanRed Senior member

19. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

Re Cobblers Roger's on Redfern St and Chalmers St Redfern does excellent work. I had a pair of RM re soled by him 15 years ago and there still going strong. Had the elastic replaced by RM 4 years ago the soles came back with a tick of approval.

20. mattc

mattc Member

I was wondering where the hell he was working. Nathan's an old mate of mine from the west. He used to run an alternative club over here (Sin for those who remember).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.