• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

El QUaG

Reaction score

I'm staying in Sydney for a while and I'm eager to get a shirt made by Charles Nakhle. Is there a minimum number of shirts you have to comission being a first time customer?

No minimum amount required. Charles will have no issues with measuring up for you. No booking required either, so just roll on through.

deingesicht

Reaction score
most investment bank guys look the same. OTR dark suit plain or with chalk stripes, white or blue shirt with french cuffs. If you are in equities its no tie, IB is tie. No PS - ever but occasional banker cuff/collar. Any deviation from this gets the "alpha males" aka neanderthals worked up
Spot on!

For equities, I only wear a tie when I have an external meeting. However, we did have a guy who used to wear a tie everyday to work, but he was more the exception than the rule.

charliechan

Reaction score
Spot on!

For equities, I only wear a tie when I have an external meeting. However, we did have a guy who used to wear a tie everyday to work, but he was more the exception than the rule.

I hear that in IBs if you wear a banker collar you get the feedback "Who the f*k do you think you are, Gordon Gekko?!"

AriGold

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I hear that in IBs if you wear a banker collar you get the feedback "Who the f*k do you think you are, Gordon Gekko?!"

Haha that's funny, but us young guys in the office make it a weekly thing. We have "BSD Fridays" or "Gordon Gekko Wednesdays" where we all put on the bankers shirt and even had one colleague wear a pair of red suspenders:

Last edited:

burnso

Reaction score
had one colleague wear a pair of red suspenders:

"He wore CK Crimson suspenders. Beautiful. I grew light headed and sweaty. I wore the same pair in Navy I had purchased the day before, and they didn't look half as nice."

Last edited:

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Gekko Quote:

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Haha that's funny, but us young guys in the office make it a weekly thing. We have "BSD Fridays" or "Gordon Gekko Wednesdays" where we all put on the bankers shirt and even had one colleague wear a pair of red suspenders:

Investment banking sounds like a barrel of laughs! (Joking, joking!)

Anyway, here's yesterday's outfit:

Details:

- MTO grey, sharkskin suit by Deer Style Brisbane;
- MTO blue, gingham check shirt by Deer Style Brisbane;
- White silk/cotton pocket square with blue borders by Herringbone Sydney;
- Brown neat silk print tie by Drake's;
- Chestnut C&J Audleys.

*Note: I am wearing blue-and-white-striped Albert Thurston braces under the jacket.

Last edited:

ryans724

Reaction score
Any of you guys have any hookups for some temporary work? Canadian on a working holiday visa looking to find some work that isn't male prostitution. In Brisbane now but will fly to wherever if the job is legit. Retail management background with some office as well.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Any of you guys have any hookups for some temporary work? Canadian on a working holiday visa looking to find some work that isn't male prostitution. In Brisbane now but will fly to wherever if the job is legit. Retail management background with some office as well.

Can't help in regard to temp work, but if you're interested in meeting some Brisbane people, I'll let you know when we're next catching up for coffee or lunch and you can come along, if you would like.

deingesicht

Reaction score
I was thinking of getting a new secretary, but given your restriction it probably won't work out

Last edited:

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Potentially - I've been caught up with a zillion things and no net access (which i didn't anticipate). I have something at 6pm, so I might only be around at the start (if we met at 5pm, for example) or later (if you guys met at 7).

It was suggested that some drinks on Spring Street might work, and I certainly think that'd be easily done.

What do you guys think?

Supper club at 5pm (is it open then?)?

I am WAY out of the loop with places to go, though!

Mind also blown, Rob. Eagerly awaiting your announcement.

For Melb guys, it seems Gerry and TBM may show up if there is a meetup. Matt is double booked but may drop by. I'm pretty keen. Should we hash out the details? Realistically, I can only get out of work at 6. Siglo/supper club if no other suggestions? There is another drinks place next to gin palace which is quite good, as another option...

Since nobody seems to be hashing out anything, let's go with Melbourne Supper Club from 5pm onwards.
smile.gif

The address is Level 1/161 Spring St.

Last edited:

deingesicht

Reaction score
I suspect that the Loake would be perfectly fine, for a couple of reasons.

Firstly, it's from the 1880 line and the quality is, in my experience, actually quite reasonable.
Secondly, the part of the vamp that gets the most wear is made from suede and, given that suede doesn't crease as visibly as calf leather, the quality of the leather used isn't as important as it might otherwise be.

If you have a look around, you might be able to find some other makers. I have a pair of very similar shoes that were made by Alfred Sargent for Peal & Co for Brooks Brothers - there are a couple of photos here and here. However, they're not part of BB's current line up and I don't know if AS is offering them under their own name at present, either.

A quick internet search reveals that Barker Black (a separate firm from Barker, I believe) makes a similar model, which no doubt costs a bundle - see here.

Also, Skoaktiebolaget's (a shoe store in Sweden) website shows that they expect a Carmina spectator to arrive in March, but they have no further details.
Thanks for the reply. I love the Barker Black, but not at that price. I noticed that a couple have sold on the B&S forum, so I might just keep my eye out.

Is there any place in Melbourne where I can try on Barkers?

tobiasj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Since nobody seems to be hashing out anything, let's go with Melbourne Supper Club from 5pm onwards. :)

The address is Level 1/161 Spring St.

Thanks for taking the reins GN. I will endeavour to put in an appearance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads