1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

No its not its too effing expensive, gas bills are absurd.

2. The False Prophet

The False Prophet Senior member

[​IMG]

Predictable fit: Herringbone, Finamore, Battistoni, G. Inglese.

With bonus iGent espresso shot:

[​IMG]

3. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

^^Looking good, tFP - but for bonus iGent points, you need to have your shoes in the same shot as the espresso (regardless of whether they are dress shoes, sockless loafers or cycling shoes). :)

4. Romp

Romp Senior member

I like how HC can keep his clothes always looking fresh and brand new

Mine always look lived in which isn't a bad thing but I mustn't be brushing or cleaning or pressing frequently enough

5. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Thanks man, I don't do anything particularly special to them, I'm pretty good with hanging them properly as soon as I get home and giving them a brush etc as well, but I rarely press trousers myself. The jacket I'm wearing today creases easily but they also fall out pretty well too.

I tend to try and wear a heavier cloth in the 3 cooler seasons which definitely helps.

Anyway, here is today -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Blazer: Herrinbgbone Sydney
    Shirt: Kamakura
    Tie: Henry Carter chocolate cashmere knit
    Trousers: HY flannel
    Shoes: Carmina
    PS: Random

6. fxh

fxh Senior member

I have nothing against grey jackets - I think I have around 4. Its just that for a 'beginner" , it's not what I would suggest as the 2nd jacket. I do find that I don't wear the grey as much as I might simply due to the fact that they are more restricted what they can be worn with.

I still look for and dream of the perfect grey shade of herringbone.

The "perfect" grey herringbone will go with khaki, white, bone and even jeans as some are want to do.

I agree that grey (top) looks good with off white (bottom) - or even white-. In general. I think blue trousers are best on sunny days when the blue is picked up and highlighted by the sunlight, on a dull day or bad inside light or night, blue is a bit of a loss. Theres millions of shades and tones of blue.

Houndstooth or herringbone jackets with a lot of white in them work best in my experience.

I also don't have as much fear of the broad monochrome look even though it is treated as the anti-Christ on forums. Shades of grey all over can look good - but it is harder to pull off than most think - hence the "rule" of not going monochromatic is probably a wise default idea in most cases. As an example - if you must, for reasons of workplace conformity, wear a dark suit with open necked shirt, then a careful put together monochrome look will always look better than the equivalent with a white or brightly coloured open necked business shirt or, "shudder" a large gingham checked pink or blue shirt.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2013
  7. fxh

fxh Senior member

As a general rule I prefer clothes to look a bit lived in - not always as much as the Alcoholic Geography Teacher but a bit more than HC/Jasons.

But it does bring up another issue.

For some reason - not all of them clear - some people are just much harder on clothes than others.

I am not hard on clothes - I don't think I have ever worn out a piece of clothing, or even shoes, other than some very very old shirts - and much of that is from washing. I now wash everything on gentle cycle and never use the dryer.

Sometimes its because some blokes are more active, other times its is because they don't rest their clothes and many times its because they don't wear them "appropriately"

A good friend who I used to work with always wore out his clothes. He would buy new suit each year, with two pair of pants and it would be worn out in a year. Then he'd buy another one. Then one year I actually worked in the same building and saw him most days. He started asking me about it. After a while it became clear we had substantial difference or lifestyle.

He was a thick set bloke - I'm not. His thighs rubbed against his trousers etc and wore. Mine didn't - I have no thighs. . If he put on weight he'd still wear the same clothes - unaltered. If my waist changed I'd have trousers let out or taken in.

He really only had one or two outfits - shoes included - he wore most days. I'd never wear the same thing twice in a row. I would get in the car and take off my jacket - he'd leave his on. I also discovered when he got home he'd pull his tie off roughly, take his jacket off and then either lay on couch and watch TV, or cook or clean or have a kick of footy or such in backyard with kids. Me - I'd change out of everything almost as soon as I got home and change into other clothes. If we were going on a long trip and perhaps looking at a building site - he'd wear his suit etc - I'd possibly wear (yes I admit it) jeans and chukkas.

If I was in car I would carefully lay my jacket on back seat or on hanger - in office I'd have a hanger behind the door - he'd hang his over the back of any chair or on a nail or hook - etc etc and so on.

It would not be uncommon for me to change clothes 3 times a day - depending on what I'm doing. F'rinstance I never wear a suit and tie around the house more than 10 mins - only coming or going.

Withing two months of buying a new suit he'd have baggy knees, bagging at elbows - etc. Then he'd dry clean every month - me once or twice a year or as needed. In addition he was sort of mildly accident prone - if eating he'd spill something on tie or suit - me I'd tuck tie or just not spill anything. He'd spill coffee at desk on trousers - me never. Or he'd cut himself shaving and bleed on shirt.

He wasn't a bumbling oaf by any means and is a very sensitive intelligent guy - just different.

It all makes a difference.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  8. fxh

fxh Senior member

re my mate - I meant to add that he/we - eventually - found a useful solution - he wasn't all that comfortable in suit and tie - so I helped him buy a bunch of more rugged "smart casual" clothes, cotton twill pants etc he could throw in wash, more rugged shirts like OCBD, ditto, and so on - - it worked - he looked smarter - felt better and saved his suit for when it was needed. In short he dressed as himself.

9. wishiwasricher

wishiwasricher Senior member

I just had to replace a whole heap of trousers becasue of the thigh/seat area. i havea herringbone suit which fits me perfectly and the pansts are almost done and im almost in tears at the thought of not wearing the suit again.

I have a lot more chino type trousers for wearing now which are sturdier.

10. g-banger

g-banger Senior member

Arh just got a quote for Speedmaster Professional Overhaul, $600. (includes Overhaul and bracelet/case polishing also)

i guess it comes with the territory.

Happy Hump Day

11. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

When you say that "the pants are almost done", what do you mean?

If they are wearing out between the upper thighs, it might be possible to have the fabric in that area replaced. It can also sometimes help to have a so-called "saddle" stitched inside the trousers at the top of the legs, so as to stop some rubbing from the inside. It could well be worth having a chat to a reputable tailor about it so as to see if the trousers can be salvaged.

12. teacher2

teacher2 Well-Known Member

I love how you all think Sydney and Melbourne have no fashion sense!! I live in Adelaide.

Speaking of Adelaide, a need two pairs of shoes re-soled (one now, one in maybe 6 months?)..... They have been Topyed, but I think I want a proper re-sole. One is goodyear welted, the other is Lloyds (so I'm pretty sure it is not).

ANYWHERE in Adelaide that do re-soles? Or is my best bet Sydney/Melbourne? If so, where? I tend to go to both Sydney and Melbourne once a year or so so may be able to work something out.

13. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

Why not send the trousers to Luxire to have them copied exactly?

14. wishiwasricher

wishiwasricher Senior member

Both good options. Will investigate. By almost done I mean there are beginning to get holes/breaks int he seat area. The saddle might eb a good option for prolonging but given they are already broken maybe i will look to replace with a new pair.

Will go to a tailor as well as see what they can do.

15. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

If the tailor can find/has in stock a similar cloth, they can cut a "v" shaped bit out of the top of each inner thigh (where the wear is worst) and stitch in two replacement pieces of cloth, and add a saddle inside at the same time.

I've had it done with a couple of pairs of trousers in the past. The replacement fabric doesn't even need to be an absolutely precise match unless a) you are particularly fussy or b) you sit like Al Bundy.

[​IMG]

16. coxaca

coxaca Senior member

That's cheap. I'm up for $1300 to replace a watch strap.

No, I'm not kidding.

17. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Erk. I have a Speedie Pro as well. How often is this kind of service necessary?

18. joiji

joiji Senior member

What part of Adelaide are you in? I use Roberto's Shoe Repairs on the parade, Norwood. Adrian the owner is a pretty good shoe repair man, happy to do welted footwear, although I havnt had anything resoled myself, Ive had some topy work done and some other stuff and been reasonably impressed.

19. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

Did you tell him he's dreaming?

20. boff

boff Senior member

When I have a suit or pair of odd trousers made up bespoke I ask for a 'triple pack crotch'. I have no idea what the correct term is, it just helps me in describing what I want. Which is basically an extra layer of fabric around the inside of the crotch and then the usual layer of lining on top (hence triple).

I don't know why, but I have a habit of wearing out that area and the extra layer of cloth means that the wear doesn't really get noticed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.