1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coxaca

coxaca Senior member

Beards:

Used to be, if I spotted a bloke with a full beard, he was either an amphetamine manufacturer or a rural-based white supremacist. Or both.

Lately though, big beards appear to have been fully commandeered. Now if I spot the W. G. Grace look, likely as not it's adorning the mug of a faux-bespoke shoe salesman or Let's-Reclaim-Flinders-Lane upstart "gentleman's outfitter".

Thoughts?

2. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

Great idea, CD!

Funny, I've been mulling over something like this as well but in the city ...

3. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

Got to see Gatsby tonight. I wasn't too impressed with the cut of the suits, well the suit jackets, really. And in particular, Gatsby's. A collar gap on display in every jacket he wears. And many have bowing lapels as they are far too tight. The pants are generally cut beautifully, with a nice high rise. Probably over Leo's belly button. I wouldn't be surprised if this film precipitates a return to a high rise pant among the general suit wearing population. It really is highlighted as he spends many scenes with his jacket off.

For me, the highlight was probably the semi casual outfits on display. A lot of lovely linen shirts and casual trousers.

I think Tom is probably the best dressed man in the film, actually.

Last edited: May 27, 2013
  4. fxh

fxh Senior member

Funnyhunnybunny has inspired me with his powers of recall and observation.

So in his honour tomorrow w I'm going the FULL ON PENSIONER GOING OUT FOR HOT DATE AND HOT LUNCH look. Neat and clean and a touch of the monochromatic.

Yup - all you "street" photographers can catch me around Chapel St - top end around lunch, Glenferrie Road Malvern - Personal Appearance at the Button Shop, and then perhaps CBD later in day.

Anderson Little SC - vintage mid 60s - brown check tweed w green window pane. 3 button, flap pockets, half lined, no darts, small hooked vent, modest swelled edges.
    LL BEAN Made in USA OCBD, Red blue checks mini horse blanket style, , floppy collar - vintage.
    High rise tan narrow wale cords - slim fit - narrow opening - no cuffs - flat front.
    Off white /cream OTC socks with herringbone black
    Tan Brogue shoes
    Plain watch with NATO band in subdued green and brown

Sorry - but I'm breaking the look with a Burgundy silk knit - square end natch.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. fxh

fxh Senior member

Some inspiration
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. streetminimal

streetminimal Senior member

You know SF has taken over your life when all you do is analyse the clothing when you go watch a movie. Damn :violin:

7. md2010

md2010 Senior member

say for example you have 1k in your account and you are trading $20k lot. Your margin is $100. So you have another $900 free in your account. For every cent that goes against you if aud/usd is around parity then you will loose $200. 1 cent =100 pips. So it is like $2 per pips. As trade goes against you your account will get lighter and if you have less than $200USD your trade will be liquidated. You can use stop loss to prevent your losses / control how much you want to risk and take profit to take profit to close out your trade at profit.

8. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

This idea is great. I'll actually be needing to grab some new shoes anyway. Seriously killer idea.

This idea is also great.

We should make one of them happen. Make it on the 29th of June and I'm definitely in, or the 13th of July 9but the June date is much better)

9. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

10. g-banger

g-banger Senior member

its bad aye

my contribution for today - i need to stop looking at SF during the day at work.

[​IMG]

Shirt: Cottonwork MTM
    Jacket: Calibre (about 3 years old)
    Pants: HY Mid-Grey Nailhead
    Shoes: AE Strands
    Bag: Filson Duffle

11. Gerry Nelson

12. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

Yes, that's all I did :facepalm:

13. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

Watched The Mask of Dimitrios (1944) the other night. Some amazing clothes in that movie.

14. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

If we're going with my idea, it would be a good idea to warn PJs and maybe Azzaro that we are coming. If we get onto Tom right away he ought to be able to keep that date/time free for us.

15. Romp

Romp Senior member

Im not sure tom will appreciate a group of guys "getting onto him" haha but im sure if you ask nicely he may want to show off the new showroom [​IMG]

16. BaldwinP

BaldwinP Senior member

Dunno why. Just as likely to be unable to think their way out of a wet paper bag, let alone out of the box. Being a dropout doesn't make you unconventional!

Speaking of people unable to think their way out of a wet paper bag, saw this morning that DJs is going to hold firm to the new strategy of less discounting and less sales and higher margins, apparently relying on the "too silly to buy the same stuff elsewhere cheaper" market. It's a shame because DJs could be a really convenient and central location for getting good menswear from good brands... but they are dead-set on keeping margins high by having high prices rather than reducing their costs and changing the way they do business.

17. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

18. Romp

Romp Senior member

Just found out O&J had a small appearance in Sharp Magazine for men...

[​IMG]

19. Gerry Nelson

Just a reminder that the new showroom is in Windsor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.