• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmills

Reaction score

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

All is good except for point numero uno.

I kind of understand it but the point is without context, i.e it depends on what industry you work in. One thing I cannot stand is a polo with dress trousers, such a travelling salesman/account manager kind of look (and I am an account manager). Unfortunately for me due to lets say, a mis-spent early 20's I've got a couple of tattoo's that are visible when wearing short sleeve polo's/shirts, so I don't wear them at work as a general rule. Button up shirt with the sleeves rolled up is always a good alternative when it's hot.

Anyway, here is today's fit -

Suit: MJ Bale
Shirt: Henry Carter Blue Check
Tie: Henry Carter Red w/navy dot knit
PS: Random
Shoes: Meermin MTO Black captoe

tobiasj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I kind of understand it but the point is without context, i.e it depends on what industry you work in. One thing I cannot stand is a polo with dress trousers, such a travelling salesman/account manager kind of look (and I am an account manager). Unfortunately for me due to lets say, a mis-spent early 20's I've got a couple of tattoo's that are visible when wearing short sleeve polo's/shirts, so I don't wear them at work as a general rule. Button up shirt with the sleeves rolled up is always a good alternative when it's hot.
Anyway, here is today's fit -

Suit: MJ Bale
Shirt: Henry Carter Blue Check
Tie: Henry Carter Red w/navy dot knit
PS: Random
Shoes: Meermin MTO Black captoe

This is a great shirt/tie combo. Love it.

Osiris2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Knitted ties aren't usually my thing but really like it with the outfit you have happening there :)

Heya anyone here ever returned anything large to amazon? I want to send back this pair of AE's I purchased but seems shipping would be quite expensive?

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

sliq

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Knitted ties aren't usually my thing but really like it with the outfit you have happening there :)

Heya anyone here ever returned anything large to amazon? I want to send back this pair of AE's I purchased but seems shipping would be quite expensive?

i understand it is. try flogging them off here

Marbles

Reaction score

Might be worth trying to sell them locally first?

FWIW I think PTO are on point with just about all that is posted, however you must be mindful that it's got a US slant to most of the content. TBH if you're wearing a polo shirt to any office job I think it shows a fundamental lack of knowlegde & care for dressing at least competently if not well. Obviously this is an indictment of attitude to dress in modern workplaces, but it's still down to the individuals to raise the standard.

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
matt - its all cool and just online.
In real life one of my best workers is a bloke who is over 6 foot, mostly wears 3/4 denim short/longs, white athletic shoes with no socks, black polos and huge leg and arm tattoos, and shaves every other day or so. Hes clean, intelligent and funny and a great worker. He takes the piss out of me and I take the piss out of him re dress. I don't send him on certain missions though. It all depends.

Oh, I didn't realise it was mostly in jest, my bad.

Osiris2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Might be worth trying to sell them locally first?

Yeah I expected I would have to do that, just thought id check to see if I wasn't missing some viable option first, seems not to be the case :)

Cheers

El QUaG

Reaction score

4 months on and I'm still looking for longwing derbys (like these http://blog.leffot.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/dsc_00321.jpg). Life is getting harder by the day.

Alden Longwings Blucher are worth the price. You will rarely ever find a pair on sale, but definitely worth figuring out your shoe size and making the purchase.

As mentioned already, you will not find any retailers that stock in Australia.

I own a similar pair in Ravello Cordovan, and have been stomping around in them for over a year now and they are not only comfortable (despite the double leather sole) but very hard wearing and quite versatile (can be worn with denim, chinos and cotton pants).

I intend on purchasing another pair but still have yet to decide material/colour, but I definitely intend on buying a pair with a single oil water locked sole. Hopefully from here: Alden Of Carmel, as their custom order make ups often feature this.

Last edited:

thebrownman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought my Alden Cigar Shell Longwings from Alden of Carmel two years ago. They are worth it. However, Alden's longwing is clunkier than Carmina's recent offering. The same can be said of all Alden styles contrasted with Carmina shoes.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads