1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

Yeah, that was me.

But I was asking for split toes, not for him to spit on my toes.

2. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

Split toes? That's a harsh punishment. What sartorial sin was committed?

3. Plestor

Plestor Senior member

Th idea is that you're closing market imperfections -- misallocations of capital -- which is then actually creating value.Anything you can create and investment hypothesis about is hardly gambling. I can post more if people really care but I'd rather avoid the topic.

4. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

I disagree, but this is not the forum to debate this issue.

5. Dusty Brogues

Dusty Brogues Senior member

No Love for the "Split toe"... How so? Carmina obviously have a few in their Bluchers and Loafers...

IMO it's more of an Italian/Spanish aethestic than English, and l like it......

However l have seen a few Alden split toes, and they were not so flash.....

So could l be slightly correct in saying the split toe befits a more aggressive/sleek last, than a more traditional last.

Last edited: May 26, 2013
  6. TehBunny

TehBunny Senior member

Dover........Split toes are my favourite non-chukka casual shoe by far! If I where to own only one blucher it would be a Dover which fits me perfectly; sadly I've not money to spend on EG and if I had I would probably be wiser to go for the Chelsea. But I guess it's all subjective...

How bout a discussion?
    What are your thoughts on Ivy in Aus?

I tend to get closest to an Ivy look when I dress casually. Something like boat shoes, loafers, classic sneakers and comfy footwear (DB's etc.) with OCBD's and other casual shirting, with a jumper or shirt jacket thrown over and when cold something for the wet.
    Though my casual way of dressing isn't distinctly Ivy I enjoy the aesthetic, though I know many who find it frumpy and boring. I still find it fits quite easily into Australian sensibilities as I don't notice any stares and such.
    What are your thoughts?
    Been reading some of the 'Talk Ivy' stuff on Film Noir Buff and enjoying it so much that I wanted to as your thoughts on it.

7. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Re split toes - Would love me a pair of EG Dovers one day. Saw them in person at Leather Soul and they are a great looking shoe. Would wear with odd trousers though not suits. Carmina have a nice one too that I think the Armoury carries.

8. Dusty Brogues

[​IMG]

^^^ This^^^

9. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Skoaktiebolaget in Stockholm also carry a couple of Carmina split-toe models, which look nice (although the shell cordovan might be better if it were a little darker, in my subjective opinion):

- Suede on a crepe sole, on the Soller last:

- Saddle shell cordovan on a "York" combination sole, on the Queens last.

10. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

I've never been a huge fan of STBs but if I were to ever have enough shoes in other styles then I'd go for the G&G Hove...

[​IMG]

11. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

Also, the EG Ecton on the 888 last is a nice shoe... I prefer the longer vamp compared to the Dover, combined with the more squared toe.

[​IMG]

12. TehBunny

TehBunny Senior member

Would probably grab the Dover in a textured leather if given the chance rather than something smooth. Thoughts on Ivy guys? (Ref to my previous post)
    Edit: This was on the EG thread recently, probably my ideal though I might prefer a slightly lighter version as it's inherently casual but hell it's sublime!
    [​IMG]

13. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

Beautiful! Is that the EG Dover? I want split-toe derby in a darker leather someday.

14. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

Yum.

15. Dusty Brogues

Tis Gerry. A lovely piece of shoe!

Little question for you Mr Nelson.... What camera do you use? We have had this discussion some time back....

Looking at a Fuji x10 - obviously there's a lot north of that on the the grand scale of quality. It appears to be quite some bang for the buck.

Cheers

16. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Bunny, I've got a pair of grainy leather, split-toe loafers in a mid-brown by Ferragamo and I'll see if I can get a nice, close-up shot of them soon. Whilst a chocolatey colour is nice, I do agree that a lighter, mid-brown colour looks great.

DB, I've got an X10 (which is on loan to The False Prophet at the moment so he can see if he likes the camera). I like it a lot. One of the reasons I bought it is because it has an optical viewfinder, although I do prefer the optical viewfinder in the X10's "big brother", the X100, as the X100's optical viewfinder has an overlay that gives you info on focussing etc, whereas the X10's viewfinder is a pure viewfinder so if you decide to go manual, rather than using auto-focus, you have to use the camera a fair bit to get a good feel for it.

On that note, Fujifilm is about to release - or has just released - an upgrade to the X10 model, the X20. I think that the X20 actually does have an optical viewfinder with an overlay like the X100 and thus fixes that "issue" with the X10.

I've posted a few photos taken with the X10 to my Tumblr blog (see link in my sig below) so if you'd like to see some of what the X10 can do (although I'm hardly a great photographer), please have a look!

If you've got any questions about the X10, please feel free to ask away.

17. Gerry Nelson

Hi DB, I use a Sony RX10 - no optical viewfinder but the sensor is larger that compact cameras of that size and it's very portable (which is the big draw for me - I can fit it in my jacket pocket with no issue). I've been very happy with the photos that I've taken with it.

18. Dusty Brogues

Thanks Gentlemen : )

Maybe l can get a Cordovan leather case for one [​IMG]

19. Gerry Nelson

Correction - I use the RX100

20. __PG__

__PG__ Senior member

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.