• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

TehBunny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You know your on styleforum when you hear...."Lustre on the Nacre is incredible" :p

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Sadly the linen cotton mixes I saw were dreadful to feel and I sent them back."

Really? I have two pairs of LE cotton/linen trou and like them a lot. I have a navy pair I wear once/week and a very light cream pair I haven't been game to wear at all yet :embar:

I think I had a rush to the head - maybe meister was involved - and I had this idea I've long entertained - and I wanted 2 x cheap suits for summer - semi casual - blue and tan that would work by swapping jackets and trousers. Getting whole warm week out of the two outfits. So I ordered a McNutt linen suite in tan(ish) and a blue suit (the only blue available was linen /cotton) from LE on sale and + discount making them around $250 or less each I think. Trouble was the blue wasn't the same as the linen in material, cut, style, feel etc.

So my only real experience was this one particular suit. As I had said - LE varies a lot.

Word of warning for young players:: Be wary of light coloured non wool trousers at work - linen and cotton.
It is not a good look to get up from a meeting, go to toilet , wash hands and have tap spray a fine spray all over your lap area and then walk back into meeting.

Its so bad as to suggest making a rule like - Do NOT ever wear light coloured cotton or linen trousers to a meeting of any sort.

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
You know your on styleforum when you hear...."Lustre on the Nacre is incredible" :p
yeah not sure if nacre technically applies here but heck its awesome haha

aussiejake

Reaction score
Recommendations for business shirts in the range of $50-100? I'm looking at TM Lewin as a starter in their Fully Fitted cut, but have heard mixed things.

I'll check out MJ Bale's too when I head in.

Last edited:

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Talking about linen.
I had a quick squiz in a Gazman shop today - lots of sale items and some surprisingly good range of linen shirts - I think sadly only in S,M,L XL, etc but seemed good quality and at around $50 - $60 and in a range of colours not too shabby at all. Some buttondowns, some uni stripes, some plain french blue two flap pockets etc - made me feel uplifted in a way as its rare to see a mainstream store with good stuff and not expensive. (I do hesitate to point out that they are probably on sale because the average punter doesn't want them)

They have a small range of linen /cotton 5 pocket trousers - seemed alright but can't tell if low rise or not with a quick squiz.

They have some linen jackets marked down to $150 or so too. Might be worth a try on for some.

Last edited:

Windowpane1967

Reaction score
Its so bad as to suggest making a rule like - Do NOT ever wear light coloured cotton or linen trousers to a meeting of any sort.
Absolutely true in every sense FHX. Have not yet seen in 20 years any light coloured cotton or linen trouser wearers or short sleeves shirt supporters for that matter get promotions to the good/serious jobs.

Hello colleagues - great to be back in 2013, now with ring on left hand, Murray River wedding was a an absolute blast.

Quick question for those of you who are Barbour aficionados and from reading here for a while I know there are a few of you. Which model jacket did you end up with and why? Am looking at the range on the Barbour site. Have several trips planned this year and a Barbour could be very handy. I tried tracking down a store with a decent Drizabone jacket collection after one of our members here (whom I cannot recall sorry) posted a pic of a great looking Drizabone jacket similar to the Barbours some weeks back.

Have narrowed down to these in order of preference in lui of not being able to find a decent stockist of Drizabone's that aren't like something from A Man from Snowy River....I just dont have a horse!!

Rexton - not sure about the US flag. Love the jacket, just not sure about a US flag in some of the countries I be heading this year.

Mountain Parka

and finally the Corbridge

Any recommendations be gratefully appreciated. I had a quick flash through DJs in Collins Street, but as usual was underwhelmed by the variety they stock, understand why they not have many, apart from the extreme heat we all experiencing now.

Windowpane1967

Reaction score
Recommendations for business shirts in the range of $50-100? I'm looking at TM Lewin as a starter in their Fully Fitted cut, but have heard mixed things.

I'll check out MJ Bale's too when I head in.
Lewin are ok. On rotation (about 4 shirts) they should see you through a year, maybe two. After this they look raggy (is that an actual word?). They have sale on now, 4 for $160 if I recall correctly.

Brooks Brothers much better quality shirts for everyday wearing. Have almost given away all my TM Lewins now, replaced with BB.

aussiejake

Reaction score
Lewin are ok. On rotation (about 4 shirts) they should see you through a year, maybe two. After this they look raggy (is that an actual word?). They have sale on now, 4 for $160 if I recall correctly.

Brooks Brothers much better quality shirts for everyday wearing. Have almost given away all my TM Lewins now, replaced with BB.

Any particular models for Brooks Brothers? I might try out one of the $44 sale shirts if shipping isn't too expensive.

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You may be referring to my Drizabone Jacana:

I also have a Barbour Beaufort which I really like. It's meant to be a shooting jacket and it's a different look from the Drizabone I have which is a biker's jacket. The Bedale or Beaufort are the jackets that come to mind when I think of Barbour and the Beaufort is longer which is why I got that one.

I'll be honest - I really liked the look when I saw this: http://dieworkwear.com/post/20533537473/asians-in-barbours

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always get lots of compliments from women on both my length and width.

sarcasm.gif

This is very witty because you think he's talking about his tie but he's really referring to his nose.

Windowpane1967

Reaction score
Any particular models for Brooks Brothers? I might try out one of the $44 sale shirts if shipping isn't too expensive.
Cant go wrong. I wear the button down oxford fabrics, they always come up looking great and the spread collar shirts in the 'luxury dress shirt' range - am a french cuff wearer so like this style. Again, they come up looking very sharp time and time again. Lewin's, you can kind of see the quality deteriorating. I also send all my shirts to the cleaning/ironing lady which may have something to do with them looking sharp, she is very good. For those of you in BNE, she down on Macquarie Street, Tennerife.

Windowpane1967

Reaction score
You may be referring to my Drizabone Jacana:

I also have a Barbour Beaufort which I really like. It's meant to be a shooting jacket and it's a different look from the Drizabone I have which is a biker's jacket. The Bedale or Beaufort are the jackets that come to mind when I think of Barbour and the Beaufort is longer which is why I got that one.

I'll be honest - I really liked the look when I saw this: http://dieworkwear.com/post/20533537473/asians-in-barbours
Yes, exactly GN, this was the jacket I searched for over the break throughout country Victoria as I passed through, not exhaustively but did try to find something like it. Sorry I couldn't recall you posting this one, should have known.

Like the Beauford, its a classic.

Windowpane1967

Reaction score
Quote: Yes, me too. I had no idea the style had transitioned to street wear quite as accomplished as in these pictures. Some fo these 'get ups' look very good. Here was I thinking I was trying something different in style....geesh!!!

TehBunny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If your set on the ones you've chosen I'd go for the mountain parka ( heard lots of good things about the tiki to range on the Barbour thread).
If your on the shorter side and it will be worn in urban situations mostly I'd go for the beadle over the Beaufort .
Edit: Gerry the Asians n Barbours article was the same one which made me get mine :p

Last edited:

JimmyHoffa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Absolutely true in every sense FHX. Have not yet seen in 20 years any light coloured cotton or linen trouser wearers or short sleeves shirt supporters for that matter get promotions to the good/serious jobs.

I wear a short sleeve polo to casual friday? Should I stop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads