1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

The rise feels as high as my wool trousers but I needed to get them tapered to look right as they were straight all the way through.

I have a couple of pairs that I got based on the waist rather than the thigh and they fit too tightly - as a result I don't use them anymore but you live and learn!

2. katalyst

katalyst New Member

Hi all,

I'm going to have a couple of suits made, after a couple of years' hiatus, and I'd greatly appreciate some assistance with a few questions:

The last two that I had made were made by Adamo. I'm happy to consider other tailors for these next two (not to intimate that there was something wrong with the suits that were made, but I'd like to try others) is it still the case that the recommended trio are JH Cutler, Adamo and Sam Disano?

I read extensively before I had the first two made, but found that, when I arrived at Adamo's, I really still didn't know what I stylistically wanted; I couldn't have given instructions that would have resulted in anything like a coherent, elegant suit. I also found that I didn't know the full set of things that - style aside - I should have requested, as things that are appropriate to a bespoke suit or shirt. I was a little dissatisfied to find that, without having expressly specified details, things like buttons, surgeon's cuffs were omitted or of lesser quality. Any thoughts on where to start if I want to try and redress that this time? Style isn't something that I'm going to pick up in a week or so, but something like a list of things that ought to be done would be of great help.

Finally, I'll also have some shirts made. I've been generally pleased with Charles Nahkle, though I've had some problems, such as collars de-laminating. Who else is out there?

Thanks in advance!

Edit: I also noticed that Adamo's son seems to be doing most of the work now, with an assistant. Has anyone had any recent experience? Does an Adamo suit still have much to do with Adamo?

Last edited: May 26, 2013
  3. sliq

sliq Senior member

p johnson. suitshop.

4. Romp

Romp Senior member

Yeah the Pjohnson Napoli and Roma ranges would be worth consideration vs those above mentioned

5. jobro

jobro Senior member

I find the suitshop.com.au website/recommendations pretty useless. "To make an appointment please contact enquiries@suitshop.com.au" An appointment where?

6. TehBunny

TehBunny Senior member

Which fit did you go for by the way? From the tightness you experienced from going waist size guessing the m3?

7. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

Do herringbone still sell C&J? they seem to have disappeared from their online catalogue...

8. The False Prophet

The False Prophet Senior member

They do indeed: range seems to differ from place to place...

9. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

I went with the M3.

10. DartagnanRed

DartagnanRed Senior member

There don't seem to be many bespoke-ballers in this thread; certainly no one with experience beyond P Johnson so advice may be a bit thin. If you want to go true bespoke, the other I would look into (I have no experience, this comment is based purely on observation), have a look at Zink and Sons. I haven't seen anyone even mention Disano or Adamo since reading stuff posted by Sator years ago, it's all been about PJ since then. Have a look at their facebook for an idea of the kind of things they make: https://www.facebook.com/zinkandsons. Whatever choice you make, make sure you post photos! It would be great to see more posted about Australian bespoke tailoring, good luck!

11. coxaca

coxaca Senior member

Thanks, we went there. Great recommendation.

12. aussiejake

aussiejake Senior member

Email and find out ;)

13. jobro

jobro Senior member

A customer shouldn't have to email just to obtain basic information. The website lacks many details.

14. boff

boff Senior member

Matthew Lawrence. http://www.mlbespoke.com.au/

I have had a two piece, three piece, a sports jacket and a couple of odd pairs of slacks from him as well as a few shirts. All fully bespoke. Modern yet classic, bla bla bla. Incredible selection of fabric, gives good advice (e.g. don't fuck around with super light weights, they drape like shit and wear out fast). Expect things to take around a month to 6 weeks.

I heard he's closing down his Paddington shop which is a great shame as it was a lovely place to hide when the wife was shopping/whatever. But he will still keep the bespoke operation going.

15. g-banger

g-banger Senior member

Finally got some wearing time with the meermins over the weekend - sorry for the horrendous photo picture.

[​IMG]

also i got some shoe cleaning in.

[​IMG]

finally - if anyone is keen im selling my Herring Gorsforth II on the bay. They are a little big for me and dont get enough wear. sized 8.5 F if anyone wants to PM me if interested.
    Update: I couldn't do it i ended the listing, going to see if i can get a innersole to make bigger. Such a beautiful shoe.

Have a good week guys

16. PapaRubbery

PapaRubbery Senior member

No problems, mate!

Glad you liked it. Kinda fun and has a real 'Melbourne' feel to it. Not that I can actually define exactly what that is, or why it has it, but it just seems to work.

17. ovlov

ovlov Senior member

Depends on the market they're looking for. I agree the info should be easier to get but to be fair they're just starting out and seem to have quite a bit of business already just from word of mouth.
    I gotta say when you are trying to decide where to spend your money I reckon the amount of recommendations and goodwill for Suitshop on here is a lot more encouraging than a schmancy website.

I only just go measured so can't personally confirm the quality of their work yet. My point is just if you're going to be serious enough about your suit that you spend time signing up for SF and researching your options online, then don't be lazy about popping of a quick email.

18. Romp

Romp Senior member

I agree - the website is shit, not pretending its great - we have been running SuitShop for about a month now mainly via word of mouth so we can trial the business model and work out the best way to operate. It was designed to be temporary and its on a list of many things that we are addressing in coming months. Im happy to answer any questions via PM or email.

19. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

Sweet shoos my man - what are they?

20. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

They be Meermin Tassels in brown calf on the "Ron" last.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.