1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

I really like brown suits, and I've got a couple in the wardrobe at the moment - a reasonably dark brown, small-scale glen plaid without an overcheck, and a light brown, larger scale glen plaid with a light blue overcheck.

I used to have a chocolate brown suit made from a lovely, light flannel cloth that I purchased in Tokyo some years ago. It was great but it became too small for me (or I became too large for it!).

2. boff

boff Senior member

Digging all the brown love. Weirdly, I'm wearing a darkish brown three piece today.

Last edited: May 21, 2013
  3. ovlov

ovlov Senior member

That is a beautiful suit. I'm hopefully getting measured up for a suitshop in a couple of days. It's my 2nd suit so was planning on something navy to follow conventional sf wisdom, but man this is tempting. What do you guys reckon? Start with the basics right?

4. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Really, it depends where you work and what you do.

Certainly, most of the time I'd recommend that people get some navy, charcoal or mid-grey suits first, before branching out into other colours or patterns.

However, if you don't work in a very conservative setting, or if you wear a suit more for pleasure than because you have to for work, then you may well be able to get away with a brown suit as a second suit.

5. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

You can get a navy suit just about anywhere... finding a nice brown suit though is more difficult. You're going MTM, so why not get something you can't get at the shops?

6. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

Just wanted to follow up on this. I'm a bit unconvinced by the Woolovers cardis. They certainly look reasonable and are cheap, but for layering under a jacket, or wearing to work in general really, you want a close fit and a thin fabric. To me this means merino, a slim cut, and no pockets. (The Woolovers ones are lambswool and have pockets, and I'm not sure the cut is very slim.) Here is a bit of info on lambswool vs merino: Merino wool is thinner, cooler, and tends to have less pilling. Regularly used in high-end performance athletic wear, Merino wool is much preferred over synthetics. “Merino” is the name of the special breed of sheep credited with having the softest wool and best dance moves. Lambswool is warmer, a bit itchier, and tends to drape and hold its shape better. The main distinction of lambswool is its “virgin” status. Harvested at the first shearing of a seven-month-old lamb, it has incredible spinning qualities allowing for truly beautiful knits. I have a Uniqlo lambswool cardi which I like a lot, but it is not suitable for layering and wearing to work. It is more the traditional "strolling around the garden smoking a pipe" type of cardi, if you will.

1 person likes this.
  7. ColdEyedPugilist

ColdEyedPugilist Senior member

Hey Romp, those wide lapels look fantastic. Do you have an MTM setup in Sydney yet?

8. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

Today (with a Uniqlo cardigan - label just says Pure New Wool):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Looking good, Gerry.

I must admit that I never used to be a fan of single monkstrap shoes, as a lot of models tend to look rather "blobby", but those single monks look very nice.

10. Manuhiri

Manuhiri Well-Known Member

I think this has been asked before but does anybody have any recent experience with Austen Brothers shirts? They are coming in to work today and I'm keen to know if it is worth checking out their swatch book.

11. UnnamedPlayer

UnnamedPlayer Senior member

$285?

What are they made out of, Mithril?

The price is MTM based on measurements taken by you guys or more of a Luxire type arangement?

12. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Have you ever bought a suit?

If so, have you ever thought of how much you are paying for trousers as part of a suit?

From what I've heard from various tailors, the cost of making a suit is roughly 60% for the jacket and 40% for the trousers.

Hence, when you purchase a $1000 suit, your suit trousers cost you $400.

In that context, $285 doesn't sound too bad. In fact, given the cost of good cloth, it's very reasonable and in-line with most "in person" (rather than on-line) made-to-measure places that I know.

13. Gerry Nelson

Thanks, JM. Those are C&J monks on the 348 last, hence their non-blobbiness.

14. fxh

fxh Senior member

15. ovlov

ovlov Senior member

Yeah I agree with both sentiments. Ill be starting work as a solicitor in a small suburban practice. I guess going with the basics is a safer bet. Hopefully 6 months from now ill be able to add a 3rd to the rotation and go for one then.

16. Archer

Archer Member

Thanks Tobiasj. So lambswool would be better suited for a chunky cardigan to wear instead of another jacket. Thank you for that distinction. I might order one chunky one for winter and then be happy with that.

Unsure of the care factor but Tie Rack has just gone to 70% off most merchandise.

17. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

A couple of recent looks.

Weekend Wear
    [​IMG]

Sportcoat, Cardigan & PS: Herringbone Sydney (2008-10)
    Shirt: Brooks Brothers
    Chinos (not seen): Uniqlo
    Shoes (not seen): Common Projects Chukka

"Work wear"
    [​IMG]

Sportcoat, Shirt, Cardigan, PS & Tie: Herringbone Sydney (2008-11)

2 people like this.
  18. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

This cardigan thing has really taken off.

19. Gerry Nelson

Looks great, TBM! Brilliant tie!

20. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

It has. Mind you, I've pretty much dressed the same since I got these clothes from 2008-11. I get cold, man!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.