• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimmyHoffa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
T shirts or polos?

The special fabric from Vastrm (an affiliate) is excellent. I have Sunspel polos and Vastrm polos and the fit and material of Vastrm is superior. I am comparing a small Sunspel to a small Vastrm. Sunspel is noticeably more expensive.

lennier

Reaction score

T shirts or polos?

The special fabric from Vastrm (an affiliate) is excellent. I have Sunspel polos and Vastrm polos and the fit and material of Vastrm is superior. I am comparing a small Sunspel to a small Vastrm. Sunspel is noticeably more expensive.

Thanks, but was specifically looking for t-shirts, not polos.

AriGold

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Sydney siders, a few quick questions!

1. Anyone give recommendations for a tailor in the sydney conservative business dress for alterations for a suit? Looking for quality of work, value and their ability to provide good guidance with regards to what i need done. The tailoring work involves:
a. Taking in the waist of a new suit
b. letting out the waist of a suit that has previously been taken in
c. Lowering of the collar to remove rolls on the back.
d. Lengthening of the sleeves by 0.5".

2. Can anyone provide guidance as to how much I should expect to pay for such alterations? I have not visited a tailor in almost 2 years (blasphemy! i know)

3. If i previously taken in the waist of the suit jacket around 2 years ago, and i have since gained weight, is it possible to let it out again?

Many thanks guys.

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hi Sydney siders, a few quick questions!
1. Anyone give recommendations for a tailor in the sydney conservative business dress for alterations for a suit? Looking for quality of work, value and their ability to provide good guidance with regards to what i need done. The tailoring work involves:
a. Taking in the waist of a new suit
b. letting out the waist of a suit that has previously been taken in
c. Lowering of the collar to remove rolls on the back.
d. Lengthening of the sleeves by 0.5".
2. Can anyone provide guidance as to how much I should expect to pay for such alterations? I have not visited a tailor in almost 2 years (blasphemy! i know)
3. If i previously taken in the waist of the suit jacket around 2 years ago, and i have since gained weight, is it possible to let it out again?
Many thanks guys.

Ill let others chime in with tailor suggestions however the waist suppression should be able to be let back out. I use to hate altering OTR suits because I never found a tailor that could maintain a nice shape/drape and keep it clean

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
T shirts or polos?

Cool just checked out Vastrm and the site is promising however do you have a pic of the actual shirt? seems like only CGI on their website

JimmyHoffa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cool just checked out Vastrm and the site is promising however do you have a pic of the actual shirt? seems like only CGI on their website
Hey Rob

Thanks for replying :).

I am waiting on this damn Canon camera from shopping square, so I can start taking some photos! It still hasn't arrived.

When it does arrive, I will take quite a few photos. I've tried all the different hems, collar types and weaves. In the meantime, my best description would be: Sunspel weave is the most like 'chain mail' - meshy with holes. It makes the shirt very cool to wear, but isn't as crisp as a more 'stitched weave'. Also, don't expect sunspel to be tight around the bicep - because of that 'cool feel' the Sunspel is very roomy in the arms.

For Vastrm, the Lacoste Mesh is closest to the Sunspel polo however, it is noticeably less meshy. The Soft interlock is a lot closer to a 't-shirt weave', which I don't like. The Limited fabric is the absolute best, it is unique and crisp. I like Vastrm because: you can get the contrasting plaket, which is very cool, no logo on the outside of the shirt, and no irritating tag whilst wearing the shirt.

Pictures will come. I need something new for Facebook.

Last edited:

JimmyHoffa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We had an Amiga. Good times.
Back to matters sartorial--my Sperrys:
All the kids on social-media would coin those as 'Boat Ready'. That's the new go-to phrase for good Mens clothing :p.

Having said that, do you sail?

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hey Rob

Thanks for replying :).

I am waiting on this damn Canon camera from shopping square, so I can start taking some photos! It still hasn't arrived.

When it does arrive, I will take quite a few photos. I've tried all the different hems, collar types and weaves. In the meantime, my best description would be: Sunspel weave is the most like 'chain mail' - meshy with holes. It makes the shirt very cool to wear, but isn't as crisp as a more 'stitched weave'. Also, don't expect sunspel to be tight around the bicep - because of that 'cool feel' the Sunspel is very roomy in the arms.

For Vastrm, the Lacoste Mesh is closest to the Sunspel polo however, it is noticeably less meshy. The Soft interlock is a lot closer to a 't-shirt weave', which I don't like. The Limited fabric is the absolute best, it is unique and crisp. I like Vastrm because: you can get the contrasting plaket, which is very cool, no logo on the outside of the shirt, and no irritating tag whilst wearing the shirt.

Pictures will come. I need something new for Facebook.

Ah - yeah i just want a plain polo with long sleeves which i discovered they do not do. Lacoste italian and slim fit polo's do me fine for short sleeve.

Nicholas D C

Reaction score
So to conclude my briefcase meanderings, I cancelled my Fossil Estate Doc. briefcase order as a friend linked me to this insane deal (http://www.thomaslyte.com/byron-briefcase-calf-leather-chocolate.html) on a Thomas Lyte briefcase. Managed to snag a usually $1300 AUD product for about $500. Looks absolutely beautiful and I'm sure it would last me a lot longer than a Fossil cheapie would.

Thanks to meister for some great recommendations previously in the thread however, they were also very helpful.

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Has anyone seen this article about PJohnson?
http://thehundreds.com/rob/2012/12/27/patrick-johnson-tailors/
Some quotes which left me a bit perplexed about the knowledge of the author
The guy is making some humour ... kanye etc etc

Rob, are you still heading to Florence for pitti?
Not with the little one this year, Andy is there right now though representin' :) Lucky guy.

He at least speaks italian which helps alot. Determined to find a good M65 jacket for this winter.

tobiasj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

All the kids on social-media would coin those as 'Boat Ready'. That's the new go-to phrase for good Mens clothing :p.

Having said that, do you sail?

Nah, I'm just too well-dressed for Havaianas and not enough of a wanker not cool enough for driving mocs :D

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Nah, I'm just too well-dressed for Havaianas and not enough of a wanker not cool enough for driving mocs
biggrin.gif

Tobias can this wanker/cool guy please order a black and a bottle green knit tie? Ill promise to grace them only with driving shoes and take lots of selfies in my mocs and your tie.

Honestly though - one black and one green please. Thanks

Oli2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you guys use to hang you 7-folds? I have a wooden tie rack from big-w but the space between the metal makes them a pain ********** to get in/out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads