1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

Only on weekends.

2. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Yeah my preference is for a wider spread on BD's with some tie space so they can be worn with a tie (important when you're in my business!) like you said personal preference though. Roll is one thing, but it's having the combo of good roll, tie space and an appropriate spread that makes a good BD. I'll likely wear them mostly with knit ties and possibly some wool and maybe a few repps.

3. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

+1. Land's End OCBD shirts also have some good tie space and a very nice collar roll. I was pleased to see recently that after an absence of some years, LE have finally reintroduced a fine pink-and-white university stripe OCBD in their "Hyde Park" shirt range.

4. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

A lot of people on AAAC used to rave about the LE Hyde Park range I bought a white, blue and green country check a couple of years ago. I notice its not currently listed goes good with with corduroys on the weekend. Hadn't considered the knit tie option with it must investigate.

Last edited: May 16, 2013
  5. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

GF, I wear them almost exclusively with knit ties and they look excellent (if I do say so myself).

6. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

+1

7. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

Kind've gone off shoe polishing lately. I stripped the mirror shine off a couple of pairs of shoes using Saphir Renovateur and am now just letting them get scuffed up.

8. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

Sports coat or suit? I am thinking (excuse required) of getting a new sports coat in a brown as for patten not sure at present.

And that wind is coming straight up from Falls Creek goes straight through you.

9. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

I've worn a black silk knit tie with a white OCBD shirt and charcoal suit with a white linen pocket square and black, captoe balmoral shoes in a rather conservative, US "trad" style previously.

However, I usually wear my knit ties and OCBD shirts with odd jackets and trousers - sometimes wool trousers, but also cotton and corduroy trousers.

10. Romp

Romp Senior member

The way to wear a black knit tie...

[​IMG]

11. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

Speaking of which: I have a modest new collection of silk and wool knit ties now up at www.hightied.com. Please check them out; there are some fantastic colourways this time around, along with staples like navy, black and green.

Oh and the code 'freeship' should get you free shipping (within Australia only).

Feel free to PM me any questions/problems.

Thanks
    Toby.

12. fxh

fxh Senior member

lachy - sort of true - but there is something mystical about the roll.

One of the problems is that when you get down to it there is a few different ideas about what is the most desirable roll. (I think theres s recent thread started here with participation by infamous SF conservative posters and cult figures that illustrates the lack of consensus)

To put it simply there are those who like a symmetrical roll , like a normal 3 st dev graph curve, and those who like a less disciplined roll.
    The "true old school BB roll" desired is undisciplined and will look different at the end of the day to the start and will roll differently on different days (and don't we all) and with and without a tie. And one side/peak will roll differently to the other.

(There is also the "European" Button down which tends toward flat and almost no roll) And theres those who aim for something in between.

The "authentic" BB roll usually needs unstructured collars and collar bands to get the floppy roll.

The length of points is important but so is height of collar, height of collar band, slope of collar band at front , placement of point buttons, spread of points, placement of point button holes, tie space, placement of first front button down from top and a few etcs..

Hence the focus on the mystical art - getting all these right is more difficult than it might seem.

The LE Hyde Park used to be a good option. Not just cheaper but a pretty bloody good shirt. Strangely, in my mind, I have two NON IRON ones (uni stripe - one pink - one blue) that are nicer shirts than the others.

BUT.
    And its a big but.
    LE in the last year or so has altered the collar and instead of being 3" peaks with 1"&7/8" collars - they are now 2.5" and 1" & 6/8" collars.

It makes them now just another reasonably good OCBD.
    Theres a rumor that due to pressure from a few obsessives they will revert to to the old size. No news yet.

My "vintage" BB and LL BEAN OCBDs are 2" collars with 3" & 2/8" peaks.

The peak length does make a huge difference and it is possibly the most important variable in a good roll but it isn't the only consideration.

edit: and yeah I very often wear an OCBD and tie. Never with a suit although I do with a linen suit. I did notice in Tokyo recently that around 75% of all men in suits were wearing Button Down shirt. The young blokes with contrasting buttons and stitching. And possibly 60% of all men on the street were wearing suits.

13. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

Romp, if you cannot decide between Sydney or Melbourne, you will have to settle for Canberra.

14. meister

meister Senior member

Wife says to husband "You only ever want sex when you're drunk".
    Husband says "that's not true .. sometimes I want a kebab"

The missus asked if she pleased me in bed?
    I said "yes, I love that trick you do with your mouth." . . .
    "What trick?" she asked?
    "The one where you shut the fuck up and go to sleep!"

A man approaches a young woman in a shop.
    He says "I can't find my wife, can I talk to you for a few minutes?"
    The woman says "Sure, but do you have any idea where your wife is?"
    "Not a clue," he says, "but whenever I talk to a woman with tits like yours, she appears out of nowhere!"

1 person likes this.
  15. sliq

sliq Senior member

MJ Bale now have 2 suits for $1,500. it looks like their "collection" labelled suits are now half canvas. for around the $750 figure i'd rather a MTM suit from suitshop.

16. burnso

burnso Senior member

Hey Lachyzee you've had experience with Luxire shirts haven't you?
    I've decided I should get a few business shirts made up, and have measured 2 shirts that fit well (I think), and will use a combination or average of them both.

Thinking these ones:
    http://luxire.com/collections/blue/products/white-blue-pinstripe
    http://luxire.com/collections/blue/products/blue-almost-invisible-stripes
    http://luxire.com/collections/blue/products/grey-blue-royal-oxford

Any opinions on fabric, or things to note in general about Luxire orders (ie do they ship quickly so only order 1 initially)?
    I haven't even looked at collars or anything else yet, would want a standard type business shirt...

17. TehBunny

TehBunny Senior member

Hey guys....this is me as an american/italian industrialist

[​IMG]
    Also great tie Toby; my first knit! OCBD's and Knits; have I wont the Aus Members thread today?

1 person likes this.
  18. BaldwinP

BaldwinP Senior member

I must admit that I find the OCBD look with a tie to be very American and that button-downs are not proper business shirts in these parts. Perhaps that comes from being in the lawyering game. I do own button-downs, but not to wear with a suit and tie.

19. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

They don't ship that quickly. Might be three weeks til you get them, I'd think.

I recommend just ordering one shirt, or one shirt and some accessories to get over 100$, in the expectation that your first one won't fit quite right.

A foolproof way to do it would be to send a shirt you love to them to get it copied. Saves a lot of pain,

I haven't got any of those fabrics, I do have another one of their Royal Oxfords though and it's nice, perfectly fine for suit & tie.

Their default collars are pretty good, really.

20. Robert Meredith

Robert Meredith Well-Known Member

I wear OCBDs all the time in court. I'd probably even run a knit tie, although I don't have any yet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.