1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Windowpane1967

Windowpane1967 Senior member

Yes exactly, 8 - 9cm is my preferred choice of width. The usual at Zegna, ie the tie wall is 6 from memory and even less when David Jones used to sell them here, they seemed quite narrow and stupid looking.

In my humble view I think Drakes have the best; they have a range that comes in at 9cm, beautiful width especially given the nice textures, stripes and patterns they are using. By far my favourite ties. Am still paying off the credit card from the damage I did at the Armoury....still was great fun, they have a very good selection.

2. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

Rockit is the Melbourne members go to. I was there this morning. No bookings usual little to no wait. $30. Beer and conversation if you want it (for a long time I had plans to open a shop called Mute Barbers). They do quiffs (probably their speciality, I usually have to push my fringe down a bit after I leave, the styling can be a little too much). Great haircuts all in all. Recommended.

3. Windowpane1967

Loving the book suggestion. Am a bit of a book horder...!!

Was reading about the Metro last night, looking forward to that, will be an experience Im sure.

Will look out for cufflinks, good suggestion.

4. Windowpane1967

Hmm, will keep this in mind too. Am in need of a couple of new scarves.

Think I will have sometime at the back end of the trip to take in the Taj, should be an experience and a half.

5. Windowpane1967

Am I there in cricket season? Or is this just the dumbest question ever? Its cricket season all year round Im guessing. Anyway, yes, I will look into this too. Stadium full of fanatics will be something else Im sure

6. Dusty Brogues

Dusty Brogues Senior member

dp : (

Last edited: May 16, 2013
  7. Dusty Brogues

C

Certainly is! No illegal betting please : )

Have you read Shantaram? Epic read, it does mention a few interesting landmarks....

8. fxh

fxh Senior member

I have my own sekret hair shop - its a local and $25 - its why I always look sauve.

Rockit is good - but depending where your mate is staying - there are a multitude of similar good places in all the hipster and inner areas. Richmond, Fitzroy, Brunswick, etc. And also the suburbs now.

Mens only - usually call themselves barbers not hairdressers, a beer is included in price or a good coffee in some , they will have a turntable playing vinyl in the shop with old retro speakers etc. Johnny Cash is a favourite. Old soul music .The barbers will be inked up to the max. All seem to have a big rockabilly gene in their DNA. so good hairdos are a specialty. Due to the infestation of hipsters they also do beards well.

9. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

You and your MBB (Mystery Bespoke Barber).

Should a man ever reveal his tailor or his barber?

10. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

Very nice. That type of oxford cloth - royal oxford I think it's called - is my favourite cloth. Very hardwearing, warm when it needs to be, reasonably iron friendly, and breathes as well. Basically your year-round, all-round, versatile shirt. Shame they are all sold out on their website!

11. nabilmust

nabilmust Senior member

+1

12. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

That's pinpoint oxford, I believe. The only Royal Oxfords that it seems Kamakura sells are spread collars, which fits my general impression that Royal = business, pinpoint = business/casual, standard Oxford = casual.

Nice looking shirts, though.

People seem to stand in awe of the mystical "roll" of some manufacturer's OCBDs, like it's a giant living in the hillside. It's simply a matter of long enough collar points (3 inches plus), and an unfused and maybe even unlined collar, no secrets.

*edit not in Court so I've also got my OCBD game going today... Epaulet's model.

The points are closer together than a Kamakura, meaing that it "stands up" a bit more when unbuttoned. I like this, but it's all a matter of personal preference. On the other hand, a wider spread like the Kamakura looks better to my eye when done up with a tie. The points then tuck nicely under your lapels. I never wear OCBDs with ties, myself.

[​IMG]

no shave Friday :slayer:

stock:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

v Kamakura:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. CHECKstar

CHECKstar Senior member

I now make sure I visit Rockit just before I go to the gym - that way I can 'fix things up' afterwards...

14. CHECKstar

CHECKstar Senior member

I now make sure I visit Rockit just before I go to the gym - that way I can 'fix things up' afterwards...

15. CHECKstar

CHECKstar Senior member

DP

16. Windowpane1967

I havent read it DB, but, I now have it in my hand. GD Roberts. It certainly looks like an epic read. Cant wait to start it. Thanks for the heads up

17. Dusty Brogues

Pleasure WP1967! In my opinion it is one of the great contemporary reads - l could not put it down. I'm sure it once you have read it, it will no doubt heighten your experience of the sub continent.

18. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

Apologies, you are right of course. This is royal oxford:

[​IMG]

And I thought it looked the same as the Kamakura fabric, but the latter is definitely a simpler weave. Well picked up Lachy.

[​IMG]

19. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

Oh no worries I wasn't calling you out - we don't do that here.

Royal Oxford has more of a sheen, definitely.

1 person likes this.
  20. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

LachyZee, are you Macklemore?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.