1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

Thanks for letting us know that, LachyZee! :)

I'll be placing an order with them, although my current cashmere-lined leather gloves do serve me well.

2. Archer

Archer Member

I remember them advertising playing Bar Century - 2-3 years ago now. Still going though, unsure where.

Harrolds looks... interesting. I'll stick to what I know - my untrained eye doesn't know what is bad about it. Except suits with no socks. They bad.

3. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

Nice work.

4. UnnamedPlayer

UnnamedPlayer Senior member

chinstrap != beard

5. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

The type of response one would expect from a (ageing ) Northern Beaches Surf Punk

6. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

Never trust a journalist. I did a hour long interview on being a domestic Dad in 2002 and found my self reduced to 2 paragraphs which said basically nothing.

Sinatra was quoted correctly. (over 50 joke)

Last edited: May 14, 2013
  7. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

100% wow.

Did you grab them from OS? I think I need to some more shoes, but I don't want to spend lots of $$$.

8. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

My mother always told me to beware of flatterers.

9. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

Man, this whole falling dollar thing is annoying the hell out of me, considering government and business have been pretty much engineering its demise.

Meanwhile CR, DJs and other non competitive retailers are practically frothing at the mouth at the expense of consumers.

Last edited: May 14, 2013
  10. g-banger

g-banger Senior member

Yep i did mate - i paid about $270 shipped as they were factory seconds, i think there was some marks on them but who cares.

Looking back im glad i went with the factory seconds AE's, but if 270 is too much i reckon go for meermin, im still gobsmacked by the quality of my tassel loafers. (yet to wear as I've been recovering at home from minor op)

If you have a US post forwarding service and want a pair of AE factory seconds email shoebank@allenedmonds.com. my crappy loyd black oxfords need a new sole but would prefer invest in a pair of AE's or Meermin cap toes, so we can spilt shipping if your keen. im leaning towards meermin, have a think

11. meister

meister Senior member

It will get you everywhere....:lol:

12. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

Is that just because the Meermins are higher quality?

I'll probably pick some up in a month or two (new shoes)

13. g-banger

g-banger Senior member

yes in my opinion - i think the AE inner leather is better than meermins. but price/quality ratio definitely meermins. Also a note you should leave yourself a month with meermins as it takes a while if they are out of stock.

btw is that epic brewery still open in mildura?

Last edited: May 15, 2013
  14. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

The Mildura Brewery is still open and does excellent food.

15. Romp

Romp Senior member

This comment really doesnt make alot of sense since Australia has very little local sourcing and therefore the COGS line of most retailers is currency related - a rapid devaluation in currency will drop straight through to the gross profit margins of retailers here. So while many local clothing retailers have had no sales growth over the past 6 years, they have had rising gross margins.

This of course will drop straight through to the bottom line and a currency move from $1.05 to $0.85 AUD/USD would wipe around 6-8% off gross margins and guess what most retailers dont have more than 6-8% at the bottom line to wear the change.

So how does one offset the currency move? Prices will have to go back up - but do all retailers have pricing power? id suggest not in the short term

16. The False Prophet

The False Prophet Senior member

Usually done in five-ten mins if I do it right. Helped by a pre-wetting of the brush and then mixing lather while drinking a coffee and watching the news.

These blades are damn sharp so a pass is done quick. Although I have a bad habit of refilling my (small) sink between passes to get hot, clean water.

The best post-shave balm for me (I've tried heaps) is $12 Olay moisturizing lotion from Coles!

Don't, repeat don't, get the UV stuff: it stains collars, at least with the hard water here in Brissie...

17. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

Interesting take. Why do retail groups always complain about the low dollar and internet shopping then? It seems lose-lose.

18. Nolvadex

Nolvadex Senior member

Got some shoes topy'ed yesterday and stubbed my toe on the way home today. Now the topy is loose fuuuuuu!

19. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

Also, for SF lawyers...

Anyone know of a good place that does professional resumes/practice interviewing?

I've written my own CVs and Resumes based on the 'Cover Letter Magic' and 'Resume Magic' series but I'm worried they might be too close to the American market.

Clerkships are vicious these days, and I only get one shot.

20. The False Prophet

The False Prophet Senior member

Wouldn't pay anyone to tinker with your resume, to be honest. If you wanna kick it my way, I'll give it a look, for what it's worth (currently in Government practice but have come from and am just about to go back to private). In strictest confidence, of course...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.