1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

+1 - makes me glad that I've got a beard! It takes about two minutes to shave my cheeks above my beard and my neck below my beard each morning.

2. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Well-Known Member

I use this stuff. It lathers clear so you can see what you're actually shaving, which is quite useful if you want to maintain a straight line on your beard etc. Lasts for ages as well.

3. Romp

Romp Well-Known Member

I think you will find all the shirts on the website - different lighting plays tricks on the eyes especially with stripes and the dove grey

http://www.pjohnsonshop.com/collections/shirts

4. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    I saw this the other day in THE AGE.

I cannot identify even ONE item of clothing this bloke is wearing that qualifies as MOD. Not even by "fashion" writer standards. Going further I cant even see where he has a post modernist (note small but extremely relevant word play) approximation of MOD look or attitude. Let alone "classic 60s mod". No neatness or well tailored look.

In general I have a laissez-faire attitude to what others wear - otherwise I'd be in hospital - but sometimes I think it should be like the law - especially if your photo is in a "fashion" shoot - ignorance (of history and actual clothes) should be no defence.

A side note: I always assume that like flying first class, only people who aren't using their own money shop at Harrolds.

http://news.google.com.au/newspaper...DAAAAIBAJ&pg=4362,4918&dq=mods+sharpies&hl=en

Last edited: May 14, 2013
  5. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Well-Known Member

^ Mod? not even remotely reminiscent of the Melbourne Mod revival 1980 looks more like Crystal Ballroom post punk on any Saturday night in 1981.

6. lachyzee

lachyzee Well-Known Member

I somehow doubt that he is buying Tom Ford at Harrolds on an audio engineer's salary...

7. tobiasj

tobiasj Well-Known Member

He sounds (and looks) like a complete knob. On the other hand, he is making an effort, and that is to be applauded.

8. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

In his favour, whilst it's not a great look (in my humble opinion), at least he looks interesting and looks as though he makes an effort, unlike so many people photographed for "street style" pages nowadays.

My particular bugbear is the street seen/scene (or whatever it's called) page in the free MX newspaper every week.

The women are sometimes interesting or well-dressed, but most of the men featured are wearing very ordinary shoes, very ordinary jeans/cotton pants/shorts, and a very ordinary shirt, and they say that the shop at Jay Jay's, Industrie or somewhere similar. How on earth are such people "stylish"? They're absolutely unexceptional, as they look like 99.9% of other, late-teen university students or shop assistants. Surely the "style" section should be used to show people who actually look stylish or, at the very least, look as though they make some effort to look a bit different from other people?

9. Romp

Romp Well-Known Member

he must have been auditioning for pulp fiction back in 94 and couldnt peel the clothes off since then

10. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

lachy - audio engineer - my arse.

Buggerising around with Pro Tools does not an audio engineer make

11. PapaRubbery

PapaRubbery Well-Known Member

Hey that's not fair! Some of us pay for our own first class trips!

At the actual first class cost to the airline, thanks to staff benefits :D

But agreed, he looks like a tool. Only shops at Harrolds. Lololololol

12. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Well-Known Member

I would have said undertaker.

MX... 'nuff said.

13. lachyzee

So...what's everyone planning on buying before the AUD crashes? I just bought an $800 watch (present, not for me)... pissed I didn't buy it a month ago!

14. EL84

EL84 Member

I'd have said Logic. After all it comes with loops and he's probably a producer too so they'd come in handy.

15. Romp

Romp Well-Known Member

There is a reason MX is free...

16. Archer

Archer Member

Ha. I know that guy. Aside from being an audio engineer he works at Jack London and is a semi-successful DJ in the seedy club scene.

Points for trying, agreed. Not a fan of the overall look. I'm assuming Harrolds is a "designer" label that is poor quality/style for a lot of money.

17. lachyzee

http://harrolds.com.au/

18. thebrownman

thebrownman Well-Known Member

I was in mX once, I think it was 2011. They fucked it up. Bad.

I told them I was wearing selvedge denim jeans, they wrote I was wearing 'salvaged denim'.

I talked about liking soft shoulders in my jackets since forever, wearing my clothes till they die and patch pockets, they wrote that 'patched jackets lend a more casual look.'

2 people like this.
  19. thebrownman

thebrownman Well-Known Member

20. lachyzee

FYI for anyone ordering CJ gloves - if you go for a button closure, you can opt for horn buttons for 3 quid extra - you need to add a lining that costs 3 pounds to your order, then email them afterwards and let them know you don't actually want the lining, but horn buttons instead. The default buttons are a cheap looking plastic.

My replacement order from them has shipped - no more cold hands. A week too late, though!

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.