1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

I have one pair of flat front CR Stone chinos I bought six years ago still going strong, last time I looked at any of their trousers they were crap.

2. TehBunny

TehBunny Senior member

Dat intro on the LIV X KAMOSHITA interview! I like Kamoshita's relaxed style I.e. his polo shirt.
    Oli- I also agree with TBM the MJ's wouldn't look that out of place; but if not I would go with Bill's although in my opinion they are slightly expensive.
    To Nantucket red I think it is best saved for summer (boat shoes, pennies, bucks etc.) though if one really wants to wear them in Winter, why not just treat them like bright colored cords?

3. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Might not suit everyone, but I really like Land's End chinos. They can be dressed up or dressed down, look good with an OCBD shirt, knit tie, blazer and a pair of longwings, or with a t-shirt/polo shirt and sneakers or boat shoes.

4. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

Good call on Land's End, Journeyman. Unfortunately I'm one of those people who can't wear them without considerable alterations, but they're fantastic for the price if they do suit you.

5. Romp

Romp Senior member

Ditto I really admire kamoshita's style.. I think it's his shared preference for suede shoes :)

6. fxh

fxh Senior member

Other than for wearing at the gym and polishing shoes the only T Shirts a grownup should own are white and to be worn underneath a proper shirt.

I would never have imagined it was possible to use the words key ring/bottle opener and elegance in the same paragraph

Last edited: May 10, 2013
  7. lennier

lennier Senior member

Gonna have to disagree on that one :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Romp

Romp Senior member

Lol I almost pissed myself laughing at your bottle opener comment

Last edited: May 10, 2013
  9. DartagnanRed

DartagnanRed Senior member

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts about Kamakura, those shirts look great value. Can't wait until they release the knitted cotton one in the NY fit.

10. Nolvadex

Nolvadex Senior member

11. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

Should get my suit shop suit Tuesday/Wednesday this week :)

4 people like this.
  12. TehBunny

TehBunny Senior member

Holy shit Jas! Those Kamakura shirts are darn good value; $80 for a shirt with MOP buttons and great collar roll, great fabric as well as excellent customer service (wrote asking about fit). Hope your order turns out well; what fit did you choose may I ask? Also the pique shirts seem pretty cool; though I don't know what the use of it would be other than as a sub for a polo.
    Be sure to tell us how it is when you get it!
    T-shirts. I think a polo is generally more flattering so opt for them over t-shirts, though I bet for all you young guys they would also look great; I would personally go navy, grey(s) and white.
    Gerry; might I ask where you got you reversible belt which I remember you mentioned a while back?

13. aussiejake

aussiejake Senior member

Anyone have experience with the quality of the Kamakura ties, especially the grenadine options? $70 is quite a nice price if the quality is there.

14. iSurg

iSurg Senior member

Loved the Kamoshita x Liverano clip. Two very classy guys who embody menswear at its best. Also interested in HC's shirts when they come in.

15. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Hi guys yes I will definitely give a bit of a review when they arrive. I got the new York slim cut. Don't go the Tokyo unless you are a shorty, because the sleeves are quite a bit shorter.

I guess I wanted a BD that can be worn with a tie as well as open necked and I've been looking for a long time. Most BD's have inadequate spread (points are too close), not enough tie room and the roll is not all that good once the top button is done up. These seem to mimick the food old days of Brooks Brothers famous collar roll (no longer made) very well.

Just in case you are thinking of ordering, $100 and over gets free shipping where as its $20 for under that and seen as they have a good return policy I figured I'm better off getting 2 and if they don't work out return them both, but I'm quietly confident.

Jake I doubt you'll find anyone with experience in the brand in this thread as they only really just came to people's attention outside of Japan and more recently new york. Looking on there though I can see the ties are Satin tipped and very strangely seem to use silk as the interlining (wool and linen are the usual fabrics for this). Some nice grenadines though. Funny with the translation they claim to sell a grenadine repp, which is impossible because they are 2 different weaves.

Anyway you may be interested to know thative recently added some self tipped grenadines in 3 fold at a cheaper price point below. I've only got black and forest left at present but will be re-stocking all 5 colours (black, forest, navy, chocolate, burgundy) in the next 3-4 weeks and also adding 2 new colours in 7 fold in silver and plum.

http://henrycarter.com.au/products-page/ties/black-bambino-grenadine-3-fold/

http://henrycarter.com.au/products-page/ties/forest-green-bambino-grenadine-3-fold/

1 person likes this.
  16. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

I got it from Massimo Dutti and still using it a lot.

17. PapaRubbery

PapaRubbery Senior member

Hey Jason,

A quick review would be great, thanks!

I'll be sending an order your way for some grenadines in the very near future.

1 person likes this.
  18. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

How else does one open their VB elegantly? :(

19. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

One would use their teeth, if I'm not mistaken.

2 people like this.
  20. smeggett

smeggett Senior member

Or smash it on the nearest blunt object and strain the broken glass through one's teeth.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.