• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

There is supposed to be a brown. I was originally after the green but now I'm leaning towards the grey.
exactly what I am doing.. I pre ordered green but want grey now.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
JM, how would you go about comparing the pros and cons of Howard Yount or Pasotti over say, Fox?

When you say Fox, do you mean one of their steel-shaft (or "Fox frame") umbrellas?

You want solid wood
Key differences are
1) stemmed are lighter and I think 2 inches less diametre
2) full stick much more sturdy esp in wind
3) full stick will last longer
4) full stick has a nicer tip
I regret getting my stemmed one

I'm not sure if a full-stick umbrella will last longer, but they really are nicer than a metal-shaft umbrella. I guess that's pretty subjective, and it's not something that other people will necessarily care about it, but it certainly caused me to buy a full-stick umbrella.

By the way, for any popover enthusiasts, here is a photo of Charles Eames (of "Eames chair" fame) from "The impossible cool" blog, wearing a popover shirt and a bow tie:

http://theimpossiblecool.tumblr.com/image/37840877044

JimmyHoffa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You want solid wood
Key differences are
1) stemmed are lighter and I think 2 inches less diametre
2) full stick much more sturdy esp in wind
3) full stick will last longer
4) full stick has a nicer tip
I regret getting my stemmed one

The good news is that the wood is darn near indestructible.

Very lightweight too (I have a Fox Malacca wood from the early days of P Johnson)

Unfortunately, the metal spokes are as breakable as those on any umbrella.

Speaking of which, does anyone know where in Syd to get an umbrella repaired?

JimmyHoffa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The good news is that the wood is darn near indestructible.
Very lightweight too (I have a Fox Malacca wood from the early days of P Johnson)
Unfortunately, the metal spokes are as breakable as those on any umbrella.
Speaking of which, does anyone know where in Syd to get an umbrella repaired?
They do look a little 'flimsy'.

How did you damage it, may I ask?

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

going off the info member above have given, i'm deciding between two white shirts:

one by tm lewin http://www.tmlewin.com.au/Slim-Fit-..._AU,pd.html?start=1&cgid=Mens-Slim-Fit-Shirts

one by hilditch and key http://www.hilditchandkey.co.uk/Slim-Fit/Cutaway-Collar-Double-Cuff-White.aspx

obviously there is a price difference, i just want to know if the price difference is warranted or not?
thanks

I have never owned or know anyone who wears tm lewin so I cant comment on that. As for H&K I am a big fan of them in terms of british shirting and do have colleagues that wear wear them. So yes they are worth the extra and at 62 quid, at present there good value.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

going off the info member above have given, i'm deciding between two white shirts:

one by tm lewin http://www.tmlewin.com.au/Slim-Fit-..._AU,pd.html?start=1&cgid=Mens-Slim-Fit-Shirts

one by hilditch and key http://www.hilditchandkey.co.uk/Slim-Fit/Cutaway-Collar-Double-Cuff-White.aspx

obviously there is a price difference, i just want to know if the price difference is warranted or not?
thanks

I have never owned or know anyone who wears tm lewin so I cant comment on that. As for H&K I am a big fan of them in terms of british shirting and do have colleagues that wear wear them. So yes they are worth the extra and at 62 quid, at present there good value.

quar

Reaction score
I have a solid stick and a "Fox-Frame".

I wouldn't waste your time with the steel-shafted Umbrella. Mine didn't last long at all. The wind in Melbourne caused the shaft to bend.

lennier

Reaction score

I believe H&K are generally considered a small step up from Lewin quality wise, but I think I also recall reading that their 'slim fit' was anything but. If that's true then it depends which criterion is more important to you.

iSurg

Reaction score
Watched the 3 part BBC documentary "Inside Claridges". Amazing insights into the iconic luxury hotel and its staff and guests. Highly recommended if you have 3 hours to spend. Spotted as well, for a good 10 mins of the doco - whnay, who was there with his bride for their wedding reception. I pulled some screenshots: great black tie getups, a field jacket, tweed with repp tie, and even
foo.gif
had 10 secs of screen time.

Also, passed by Chaddy last night (shops open till midnight). It was utter chaos - super busy, long line-ups, etc. Looking forward to picking up some small gifts for others in a more relaxed environment and order a few things for myself this arvo down in south melb.

Enjoy the 21st!
Caramel popcorn -mmmmmm

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads