1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Romp

Romp Senior member

happy bday - Nice EG's .. 88s? thats going to be the nicest pair of shoes on that shoe rack in the background! I hope they get an honourary position! [​IMG]

2. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Nice shoes, Orlov, and a great birthday present to yourself!

Speaking of shoes, I'm wearing a pair of blue suede tassel loafers today, along with a pair of Nantucket red trousers, a navy knit tie with little white flecks, a white OCDB shirt and a mid-blue linen jacket in a glen plaid pattern.

No photos as yet, but hopefully I'll find the time to take some later in the day.

3. Romp

Romp Senior member

Love nantucket red ... i also wore a similar combo with the O&J red chinos and my navy jacket but I felt like a walking flag ... interested to see the mid blue soften it

[​IMG]

4. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Good point!

I do have a pair of "fire engine" red trousers that I wear from time to time, but these trousers are a softer, somewhat faded red.

5. The False Prophet

The False Prophet Senior member

Thanks for the tip, I need a new brush stand.

I really like the Astra Platinums, although they have little blobs of glue on them which is a nuisance. I've switched to Giesen and Forsthoff (branded Timor Solingen) which are great but just a touch more aggressive.

I've never been man enough for Feathers: also, they cost quite a bit more IIRC...

6. lennier

lennier Senior member

UPS man delivered my dark brown suede Pimlicos this morning, yay! :)

2 people like this.
  7. boff

boff Senior member

Does anyone have experience of thetiebar.com ?

Looks OK and is super cheap. Mixed reviews on here, but mainly positive. Just about to order this lot. With delivery will be $60.
    [​IMG]

8. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

All I'll say is you get what you pay for, like most things in life really.

Had a few of their knits and PS's before starting the company, they were pretty crappy.

9. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

Agree with HC. As soon as you buy a nice tie, you won't want to wear Tie Bar ties any more. There is a noticeable difference.

What they are good for are cheap basics you won't wear that often, ie black tie.

10. boff

boff Senior member

Thanks for the feedback. Anyone have any opinion on the quality of MJ Bale's silk knits? I bought one the other day and am very happy with it.

11. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

I just can't stand your posts. You contribute nothing except abuse and insults. There's a way to express what you said above without using such mature words as "toolbag". How old are you, 15? Ever put yourself out there and posted a photo yourself? You're a cancer in an otherwise enjoyable thread. I'm blocking you and reporting this one, I encourage other Aus Members to do the same. You need to grow up.

Last edited: May 9, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  12. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

I have no idea what that even means but anyway the biggest issue I had with them was the knot never stayed put and I was constantly tightening the tie. Also you can't dimple them, probably due to the poor quality fabric and them being too thin.

13. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

A light blue shirt and your airmail red chinos go well together, though I wore a white shirt with them the other day and got a few 'Bastille Day come early?' comments too. Any excuse to break out into a rendition of La Marseillaise. On days I'm not feeling particularly Gallic I have a plaid cotton shirt that I wear with them, a similar fabric to this:

[​IMG]

14. PapaRubbery

PapaRubbery Senior member

+1

I threw out all my old ties that I'd picked up on the cheap. Either they had no interlining, or the silk was ultra paper thin, and you just couldn't knot them at all. Forget even trying to dimple them!

+9001 on UP being a toolbag.

15. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

I always thought UP was a sock puppet. I think fxh is behind him just quietly.

16. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

I would credit fxh with more wit...

17. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

No fxh is much meaner, just more subtle.

Forget The Tie Bar, forget MJ Bale, check out Henry Carter for your tie needs. If they are not met there try Vanda. If neither of these meet your needs branch out to Drakes (if you can afford it). If not of these meet your needs, esp. when starting out, perhaps reconsider your needs. 3 great ties trump 100 you are not happy with.*

*Obviously there are other great places to get a tie out there.

2 people like this.
  18. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

Don't know your needs or tie budget but what I have been doing for years is either waiting for sales DJ's Henry Bucks and buying then, picked up some very nice ties over the years that cost between the $70 to $100 for ties which were double that and occasionally triple that. In Canberra the biannual sales also produce bargains with the 3 men's wear shops in Civic. (wow)

Re Mensbiz agree great service ordered yesterday morning and bingo 8am delivery today of my G F Trumper Sandalwood Cologne.

19. Romp

Romp Senior member

Blue Gingham worked well in summer for James .. i reckon a blue seersucker jacket would be awesome but again a bit summery

[​IMG]

O&J blue gingham and red chinos

20. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

Summery? Where is winter? I am working from home in a blue polo and black cotton twill pants.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.