1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joiji

joiji Senior member

2. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Jeffery D's blog is:

http://tuttofattoamano.blogspot.com.au/

1 person likes this.
  3. __PG__

__PG__ Senior member

So I popped into Arthur Korderas in South Yarra today to get my Canali dinner jacket altered. I've lost a lot of weight over the past few years due to riding my bike more. He said that earlier that week he had a few suits dropped off from the Melbourne Zegna shop for tailoring. Two of the suits retailed for $11,000, one for $20,000.

WTF?!?

I asked if they were cashmere/mohair/vicuna or something similar, he replied they were 100% wool. Apparently it was Zegna's latest 'super dooper' fabric, although Arthur reckoned the Dormeuil 'Ambassador' Super 180's is better. I had a flick through the sample book when I was there, check out 180225. It looks like plain Navy but once you start warping it, it creates its own optical illusions. Would be great for a fun suit.

Any idea which Zegna suits/fabrics he's referring to?

4. lennier

lennier Senior member

Mine are Paris with cashmere lining.

5. jaypee

jaypee Senior member

Excellent., have just ordered bespoke is Paris/Cashmere/Black and Paris/Cashmere/Old Gold

6. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

My advice to those ordering CJ gloves:

1. Even unlined is pretty warm... not sure you'd need anything more in Australia unless you get cold hands. Unlined is plenty comfortable and gives you more dexterity too. I certainly wouldn't get anything more than a thin lining, you'll overheat.

2. Getting external seam stitching around the fingers, while looking "bespoke" and being more traditional, reduced dexterity since you have these big seams everywhere.

YMMV.

1 person likes this.
  7. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

I have been reading about Peccary gloves and notice CJ has them there are also a couple of Italian makers one who supplies to DJ's I believe. From what i have read they recommend that you get them unlined.

Any thoughts on them in terms of quality over a more traditional kid leather and as I am in Canberra would they be suitable for here unlined. The two pairs of gloves I own are both lined, one is for casual weekend ware the other for work.

8. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

IIRC, CJ does not use Peccary but rather Carpincho. I don't know if that makes a difference to you, or any practical difference.

http://www.chesterjefferies.co.uk/scripts/leather-information.asp

9. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Yeah Jeffrey cuts some great coats, very clean all over also. If you are learning and want an indication of how a double breasted suit should be cut and more importantly fit, you could do worse than use this as inspiration - Personal taste aside, there is little that can be found to fault here, it's essentially perfect.

[​IMG]

10. jaypee

jaypee Senior member

Good news for those with a mortgage! NAB have been the first bank to pass on the full 0.25%.. I'm hoping Westpac do also

11. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

Mmmmm...vera naise...

12. TehBunny

TehBunny Senior member

Thanks for the aftershave reccomendations; was actually after a cologne about to seal the deal sometime tonight.
    Welcome back back Gerry! Great ties also.
    In terms of suit fit I also prefer the draped cut that the picture represents; also don't think Steed has much of a structured shoulder and rather a soft Anderson Sheppard like shoulder can't find any evidence of this but I remember a comment about Steed that said it had the old AS soft shoulder. Also this vox fellow has one great tumblr great link Jas.

13. iSurg

iSurg Senior member

Steed used to be with AS. Hence the whole expatriates thread. I agree, Jeffrey D's suits are choice. Vox - why can I say, if I had his walk in wardrobe full of goodies, I would want for nothing. However, my reality is so very far from that dream... *sigh*

Last edited: May 7, 2013
  14. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

I think I'm showing my age/ignorance here, but I preferred MA cut/fit.

Vox's is impeccable, but it's almost sterile - where's the personality? It looks lifeless, like it's wearing him, turning him into a doll, rather than enhancing what's there - my eyes are drawn to the buttoning point, not the face. I thought the suit on MA tumblr had a lot more personality, which will not be to everyone's taste, but this, ugh, I want to ruffle it and give it some fucking character. It's offensively lifeless (to my untrained, silly eye).

Last edited: May 7, 2013
  15. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

In my opinion, this is my perfect DB fit. Need to see it from the front, though.

16. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

..but his posture isn't doing it for me.

17. iSurg

iSurg Senior member

The robot pose is meant to show how well-tailored the elements are. I prefer the olde photographs that Vox blogs, actually. Lot of famous, well-dressed guys just doing thur thang in some nice threads. It would blow my mind if he did one of those...

18. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

Could you explain the bolded part?

Why wouldn't a garment in motion better highlight the cut/fit of the piece? Surely it's harder to make something that works across the spectrum of movement, compared to something people only robot in? Am I wrong? Or is it just that more is shown of the clothing, and less of the person?

19. TehBunny

TehBunny Senior member

I think it's simply his signature pose and that he doesn't much think about it's nuances e.g. Jas and JM's slightly different Collages.
    Got some Speick after shave as I'm gonna have a splurge on some little trinkets....leading on to my next question....
    Where would you guys buy a Lamy Safari online? Preferably a place where I can buy other Japanese stationery; such as wooden and mechanical pencils as well as one of those brush pens used to write kanji?
    Found a website called Jetpens so far but insured shipping with tracking is $40 and I don't want to pay that much.

20. sliq

sliq Senior member

forumites. flying to japan next month for about 14 days (with possibly shortening the time in japan for some hong kong time). any suggestions on where to go, what to eat, where to buy, where to sleep? so far, looking at osaka, kyoto, mt fuji, tokyo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.