Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ColdEyedPugilist

ColdEyedPugilist Senior member

QFT.

You need to wear it and forget it. If you're fiddling with your PS all day, you will look awkward.

Looking sharp as always, Jase.

Cheers
    CEP

Last edited: Dec 16, 2012

2. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

meister

Thanks will give it a few weeks to really dry out. The RM Saddle Soap is also a conditioner which I have used on boots over the years its different to the Oakland and combined they worked well to rejuvenate the leather.

3. Windowpane1967

Windowpane1967 Senior member

Its these little hours that keep us sane.

4. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

I used to swear I'd never wear a PS because I didn't want to stand out too much. Now I wear one pretty much every day, and nearly always a patterned/coloured on; rarely plain white.

The response, especially from the ladies, is uniformly positive, even in an IT setting. (Mind you, if people think I'm a wanker for wearing one, I suppose they are not going to say it to my face). I reckon that I am starting to see more guys wearing them around the place.

The other thing I like about it is it is a form of personal branding. People sent to meet for the first time are told you can't miss him; he's the guy in the PS. Very handy when we never sit in the same place from day to day. Since it makes me more identifiable it may help with re-engagements down the track, as I reckon people will better remember me than all the bland, grey geeks that go through the place. Of course it's up to me to make that a pleasant memory.

5. DartagnanRed

DartagnanRed Senior member

Personal branding is a hugely underestimated side effect of dressing "well" (that's SF well).

6. lennier

lennier Senior member

True, one of my clients refers to me as the 'best dressed IT person in Melbourne' or similar. But then he's not met Gerry or CD. :) And of course 'best dressed IT person' may simply imply your arse isn't hanging out of your pants.

7. DartagnanRed

[​IMG]Basically the "most improved" award of the style world.

8. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

It is Ring Jacket. You going to rock it on chilly Mildura nights?

9. CHECKstar

CHECKstar Senior member

I propose a cage fight for the title at the next Melbourne meetup...

10. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

Two questions re ties:
    1) should you put the small blade into the self loop?
    2) would a glen plaid like Jason's qualify as a wedding tie or is it strictly macclesfield?
    3) on what occasion is a spitalfield worn?

11. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

1) No.
    2) Sure.
    3) You said two questions.

12. DartagnanRed

There are several issues with this post, the first of which concerns the disparity between the number of questions stated and the quantity asked.

13. EnglishDave

EnglishDave New Member

Hello all! I've been lurking for a while, and I thought I'd make myself known and share some recent experiences with shopping in Brisbane.

Looks like a good place in the thread to join in, I too would like to be well dressed in IT. :)

So I'm in the market for my first serious pair of black shoes for my wedding next year in August, so I thought I'd try a few places in the city to see if there was anything worthwhile, and to just get a feel for the places.

I first tried out Richards & Richards, but I was met with a fairly frosty reception, and nobody seemed particularly interested in helping me. I mentioned that I was looking for well made, classically styled shoes, but they only really stock the pointy Italian stuff. I can't remember the brand, but they had a very distinctive blue sole. Was nice to look around a few of the suits and sports coats, as the hangers read like a "who's who" of luxury menswear - Isaia, Brioni etc.

Next I hit up the Cloakroom, which was a very welcome change. There's an absolutely lovely atmosphere in there, and I spoke to Michael who was very welcoming. He showed me their collection of Carmina shoes, which although bloody beautiful, were $650 a pair. They also stocked their own range of ties, Bresciani socks and Creed colognes.

Looking to try DeeR Style, but I've contacted them, and can't get their opening hours. Does anybody have any experience?

Hope to meet some of the Brisbane lot sometime, but unfortunately my interest in menswear is much more academic than practical at the moment. I'm trying to slim down for my wedding, and really don't want to invest in anything until then!

14. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

I can answer the first 2,

1) Doesn't matter, whatever floats your boat. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't.
    2) Don't read too much in to the stuff on blogs about what's appropriate and what's not. In this case I assume you have been reading A Suitable Wardrobe? In Australia, just wearing a tie to a wedding these days is a feat in itself for many people. I certainly didn't wear a macclesfield for my own. FWIW, I think the plaid is a good wedding tie and I've sold quite a few for that purpose alone. With a white shirt, charcoal suit and black shoes would be preferable.

15. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

Sorry, forgot about the spitalfield one :(

And manton's 'the suit' is what I have been reading. The man is a god.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2012

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.