• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pink Socks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just on the off chance you haven't bought it yet, I bought the following the other day for a friend that is very similar. It's slightly cheaper and comes with the benefit that you can check it out before you pull the trigger: http://www.huntleather.com.au/il-bussetto-billfold-wallet-with-coin-compartment.html

That looks beautiful. I got my Ettinger wallet a little cheaper than that new with tags on eBay but that is. really quite lovely. Thanks.

In regards to P Johnson pricing search this thread for some ideas and there is a P Johnson thread too. Just bear in mind that it really does depend what you order. The guys at P Johnson in South Melbourne are great and will happily help by telephone or email.

Last edited:

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I'd like to get a pair of the Christian Kimber suede chukka boots and I'm on the lookout for a light field-type jacket.
im also getting a pair of kimber chukkas - i was gonna get green but everyone getting green:(

Pink Socks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Anything and everything so far - Aspesi, Boglioli, Filson, Alpha. I haven't eliminated anything yet since I'm still doing my research.

I guess it's only natural that I should be looking for a field jacket!

Keep us informed Mr Nelson. I trust you tastes.

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Anything and everything so far - Aspesi, Boglioli, Filson, Alpha. I haven't eliminated anything yet since I'm still doing my research.

I'm watching Supernatural at the moment - been watching it from the beginning. This is a scene from the episode I'm watching now:

I just realised something - I've just bought a trench and a peacoat (from the original owner and made in the year I was born!). I guess it's only natural that I should be looking for a field jacket!
Gerry im sitting back and waiting for you to find the M65 because I spent all winter looking for a decent one and no luck (I didnt roll the dice on aspesi which was the best option). I might just go get a bunch made for O&J just to satisfy having one. Shall we say Navy + Green ? I reckon grey would be sick too. OK ive just talked myself into it .. let me find some M65's at Pitti this january and ill bring you back something .. lol what just happened

BTW

Now that we are talking about P Johnson again, has anyone seen his new loafers?

http://www.pjohnsonshop.com/collections/loafers/products/black-and-white-woven-shantung-silk-tie

Damn, I have years to go before I put a loafer that looks like that in my wardrobe. That looks terrible. I now see what you guys were talking about with Apolis, and some stuff being absolute crap and others being golden. Cearly P J should stick to suits!

P.S Streetminimal is a nice guy, he can also be a douche. We've knocked heads before ;).

Those booties are sick ... I was chatting to patrick about these for ages. I want a custom pair. Ill need to wear my watch outside my cuff with my new white popovers too to rake it up:)

PS popovers landed and cleared customs and look AWESOME. Friends and family already cleaned 9 shirts off me before Ive even had a chance to photograph them... stay tuned

The False Prophet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Holy **** my knot was horrendous this morning;

All linens baby.

Very nice, Professor.

Where's the shirt from? Loving that collar...

tobiasj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I just got a pair of shell cordovan Florsheim longwings off the 'bay. As you can see they are pretty worn, but they fit really well so I'm keen to restore them to some sort of glory. Looks like they will need a re-heel; the sole might last a bit longer I think.

The main issue though is the colour. They're burgundy in places, but the vamp and medallion at the front are nearly black. I guess this could be because someone has used a black wax on them? Not sure. Should I apply some sort of cleaner, or just brush them? If it's just brushing, do I need to use a particular kind of brush?

All comments, advice or sledging welcome.

joiji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I just got a pair of shell cordovan Florsheim longwings off the 'bay. As you can see they are pretty worn, but they fit really well so I'm keen to restore them to some sort of glory. Looks like they will need a re-heel; the sole might last a bit longer I think.

The main issue though is the colour. They're burgundy in places, but the vamp and medallion at the front are nearly black. I guess this could be because someone has used a black wax on them? Not sure. Should I apply some sort of cleaner, or just brush them? If it's just brushing, do I need to use a particular kind of brush?

All comments, advice or sledging welcome.

Apparently Reno'Mat is safe for shell. I'd try that before anything else if you can get your hands on some. Otherwise try a conditioner and wax your arm off.

Last edited:

thebrownman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Toby, nice kicks. There's a LOT of life left in those.

What I would do:

1. Get a new heel put on - if you're up for spending money, get a dovetail heel, otherwise a standard heel is fine.
2. Brush the whole shoe with a coarse horsehair brush for a few minutes.
3. Wipe it down with a damp cloth and leave to dry for a few minutes.
4. Take a standard brush and buff till your arms give out.
5. Apply a thin coat of Saphir Renovateur or the Ventian Creme stuff and work it into the leather using your fingertips or a cloth
6. Buff with a standard brush till your arms give out.
7. Take a stocking from your girlfriend and stretch it taut over your hand and run it furiously over the toe of the shoe.
8. Post pictures + accept people's compliments.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Toby, nice kicks. There's a LOT of life left in those.
What I would do:
1. Get a new heel put on - if you're up for spending money, get a dovetail heel, otherwise a standard heel is fine.
2. Brush the whole shoe with a coarse horsehair brush for a few minutes.
3. Wipe it down with a damp cloth and leave to dry for a few minutes.
4. Take a standard brush and buff till your arms give out.
5. Apply a thin coat of Saphir Renovateur or the Ventian Creme stuff and work it into the leather using your fingertips or a cloth
6. Buff with a standard brush till your arms give out.
7. Take a stocking from your girlfriend and stretch it taut over your head and rub ********* furiously over the toe of the shoe.
8. Post pictures + accept people's compliments.

??

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting news on double monk. $500 for CJ seems pretty reasonable, really.

My question about shoes is this: are high quality shoes worth it if one is walking substantial amounts (up to 7/8 km sometimes)?

I know with proper care they live longer, but I am unsure to what extent expensive leather shoes are really designed to be used for actually walking.

Maybe this is a question where they turn out to be the ultimate walking machine, but it's one of those 'dumb questions' mentioned earlier :).

JimmyHoffa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My question about shoes is this: are high quality shoes worth it if one is walking substantial amounts (up to 7/8 km sometimes)?

I know with proper care they live longer, but I am unsure to what extent expensive leather shoes are really designed to be used for actually walking.

Maybe this is a question where they turn out to be the ultimate walking machine, but it's one of those 'dumb questions' mentioned earlier :).
I am sure they will be far more comfortable to walk 7/8km in compared to cheap Australian brands.

However, if you are walking long distances, like 7km a day, then any shoe is going to get hammered, big time. Not even C&J can withstand that.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here are a couple of pictures of today's outfit (well, the top half, at any rate).

uha7u2ah.jpg

emeny6es.jpg

Details:

- grey, Herringbone-weave jacket by Herringbone;
- MTO sky blue, royal Oxford shirt by Deer Style;
- burgundy neat silk print tie by Panta;
- Vanda pocket square;
- navy cotton trousers; and
- C&J Belgraves in polo suede.

thebrownman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not a 'dumb question', at least not in my opinion. I mean the whole "worth it" thing could spark another longwinded discussion here, but if you're walking 8km a day in your dress shoes, I think that you will likely find a thin copy to be quite beneficial, or a combination leather/rubber sole. I wouldn't last a week with leather soles on concrete if I were walking 8km a day. I don't mean the shoes, just the walk. I'd die.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads