1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boff

boff Senior member

A couple of examples. As ever, it is all a matter of personal taste. I realised that I was assuming you were thinking SB.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Of course if we're talking DB........
    [​IMG]

2. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

On this point I think you are both right.

In a business context the suit is the great leveller. Whether you're wearing a shabby $200 Rembrandt or a $2,000 Canali, you are on equal footing in a room full of men in suits. Indeed, it's quite often hard to tell how senior or important someone is in Australia based on the cut of their suit; quite often an individual's net worth is inversely proportional to the worth of the cloth on his back. If you don't believe me try turning up to a business function in a sportscoat and slacks when everyone else is wearing a suit and see what kind of reactions you receive (this is a good experiment to do actually).

However, outside of the context where men usually (or are expected to) wear suits - among middle Australia of the non-white collar variety - I think a suit does mark you out as a "winner". This is what DJ's plays to when it suggests that wearing a shiny suit at the races will attract the money and babes like moths to a flame. I have a friend who used to frequent the race tracks religiously twice a week. He'd even drive out to Menangle to see a race, or God forbid go to the trotts or the dogs if there was nothing on within 6 hours' drive. He would go in his windcheater, shorts and blunnies to lay on a few bob, as would the other tragics that he saw every week at the track... The AJC and the department stores have turned racing into a fashion plate in an attempt to romanticise a cruel, crooked and irrelevant "sport" and for the most part it's worked spectacularly. Basically they gave people a reason to dress up in an increasingly casual world, and provided the pictorial guidelines of what to wear (interesting point GF about the post literate society), which the masses have responded to, money in hand.

PS Geoff and fxh - good stuff, I've enjoyed the discussion.

1 person likes this.
  3. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

This is an interesting idea and I get your point but I think you also have to be older than say 40 (at least) to pull it off with the result you are thinking of.

Also, I have a feeling we Aus Members are often wearing more expensive (and/or stylish and well fitting) clothes than our bosses.

Reason to dress up in an increasing casual world - attend a Melbourne Member Meetup (those chaps are harsh if you are underdressed - esp that Gerry Nelson guy. And do not dare let fxh catch you without socks! I saw him do a spot check on poor Mr Kimber at the Henry Carter night).

I too have enjoyed skimming reading through your dialogue to fxh and GF.

GF - When fxh said he was watching The Roast I though he meant this - http://www.abc.net.au/tv/theroast/ (I prefer making actually roasts on the weekend, more time).

4. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

Speaking of peaks and large lapels...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 30, 2013
  5. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

Pink Socks

It just goes to show I don't watch enough ABC damn Foxtel.

6. fxh

fxh Senior member

Gone boys. I dropped in today.

But I did get a brand new unworn Brooks Brothers Oxford Cloth Button down blue with very pale yellow broad candy stripes and a blue guarded broad stripe. My size. - Noice. The collar has more roll on it than Clive Palmer in the bath on the Princess of Tasmania on a stormy night. Hanging beside the Made in USA university blue stripe unstructured collar one I got on Japan for $5 aud.

7. Romp

Romp Senior member

In my opinion if you need to ask then you dont have the style or confidence to pull it off anyway. Dont get me wrong - im not saying personally that you are not stylish or confident, i just think that if anyone ever needs to question wearing something then you are going to be out of your comfort zone or deep down you know its not the right thing to do ... make small, incremental changes and you may change your mind next year. :)

i lol'd

8. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

Australian shoppers are so besotted with online retailer ASOS, the British fashion site is flying nearly four jumbo jets full of clothing into the country each week.

According to its latest results international sales are up by nearly 40 per cent in the first half of 2012-13 with Australia the largest single foreign market for the global fashion group.

Australian shoppers make a purchase from the ASOS website every six seconds.

The company said its international sales lifted 39 per cent to £214.6 million ($321.4 million), eclipsing the growth for its British sales which rose 34 per cent to £352.5 million for the six month period.
    Advertisement

Its ASOS site was the leading online fashion retailer in Australia, the company said. ASOS launched its dedicated Australian website in September 2011, and later its first non-UK office in Sydney.

The rate of sales to Australia has ramped up in the last two years. In November 2011 it was reported two jumbo jets a week were flying ASOS fashion into Australia, with that rising to 3.6 jumbo jets a week by October 2012. In October Australian orders were being logged every 7 seconds.

International retail sales for ASOS, led by Australia, accounted for 61 per cent of total retail sales in its latest accounts, up from 59 per cent in 2012.

The strength of the Australian performance within the ASOS result shows the massive threat online overseas retailers currently pose to traditional Australian retailers, especially bricks-and-mortar fashion businesses that carry expensive rents and labor costs.

Other online retailers have beaten a path to Australian shoppers with a range of fashion sites building dedicated Australian buying sites such as US giant Macy's which is now shipping to Australia.

ASOS is the world’s fastest growing online fashion retailer and the company believes it is on target to hit its goal of reaching worldwide sales of £1 billion with five key territories by 2015.

9. spectre

spectre Senior member

You can easily get a lot of combinations out of a mid grey suit, navy suit, couple of white shirts, pale blue and blue and white stripe shirts, solid ties in navy, light grey, burgundy, brown and olive ties and three captoes in black, dark brown suede and dark brown calf.

Depending on your preferences and the fabric you could have the navy suit jacket made with patch pockets and match it with the trousers from the grey suit.

More than patterns and so on the thing which will make you look the best is a simple outfit but one which fits perfectly and has quality materials.

I'm about to launch into a dissertation about my highly expensive 40-year sartorial journey, the mistakes I've made along the way and how I eventually ended up totally satisfied with my entire wardrobe - which is now complete and which I will outline in some detail.

This may help some from making the same costly errors I did based on whims and trends.

1 person likes this.
  10. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

You started a discussion a while back where we picked out what are the 'must own' shoes for your average guy with a girlfriend, mortgage etc to contend with who still wants to look nice, and we came out with a black cap oxford and dark brown brogue combination.

It got me thinking - if you had to draw a 'must own' list of ties, whether they be 3, 6 or 12 what would they be?

I get that these discussions can turn into a 'how long is a piece of string?' debate, but I like the idea of keeping a minimalist approach. I'd rather have a wardrobe with bare spots but some 'old faithfuls' than one full of exotics that never see the light of day.

11. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

I'd like that :)

12. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

I'm with you on this Oli. If there is any place to ask, it's here.

More questions, more often.

13. spectre

spectre Senior member

It's amazing how you can stick with a minimalist sort of approach yet still end with a lot of items. Navy suits for example - flannel, cotton, linen and worsted all are useful. Repeat with sportcoats.

You could easily have three or more solid navy ties like a grenadine, cashmere and knit.

Take in one other colour, grey, and it all quickly builds into a largish wardrobe, yet everything is totally conservative and there is nothing you would regret buying and leave in the back of the closet.

14. meister

meister Senior member

My LOLing at you shirt anecdote only barely makes up for that bad decision on the shoes...naughty boy corner for you until absolution kicks in....

15. The False Prophet

The False Prophet Senior member

Oli,

I'd say that ties are a matter of taste even more than other elements of the wardrobe.

Apart from knit ties, I'd suggest going for a consistent weight and width that you like, for starters.

I used to have a wide variety, including lots of 8cm ties which were and still seem to be in vogue. Also SF approved stuff like grenadines and Macclesfield prints.

All the same, when I wanted to look the business (I'm a lawyer too) I always found myself reaching for the same one - a Bvlgari seven fold print which is nearly 10cm wide.

It ties a perfect knot and always hangs just so, so I ended up ditching the narrow ones and getting more, as well as other fairly wide ties (9.5cm+) from Borrelli etc.

The consistency in proportions means that I look more or less the same every day, so I have my own uniform of sorts.

If you're still working out your style, my recommendation is not to buy too much of any one style or brand, but play the field (on sale, ideally) and just find what makes you feel good.

16. sliq

sliq Senior member

this is a good start:

http://putthison.com/post/1644340218/mostexerent-great-example-of-what-to-start

after that, you can start building your collection based on different textures too. wool, cashmere, grenadine, wool knits/silk knits.

17. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

Hey Oli, I sometimes brainstorm what I'd need for a minimalist wardrobe - to me it's the ideal. Everything with maximum utility. Minimum fuss and satisfaction.

For work (MC) I prefer consistency rather than variety. For fun (SWD) it's the opposite.

18. Archer

Archer Member

I don't want to rustle any jimmies but are the pictured shoes good examples of these two 'must haves'?

Thanks to you guys I need some good shoes and am not entirely sure what constitutes 'stylish'. I'm assuming handmade calf skin leather covers the quality side of things?

[​IMG]

19. DartagnanRed

DartagnanRed Senior member

20. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Utterly bananas, but strangely intriguing. For that Pitti Uomo look: http://store.srulirecht.com/collections/category/products/a-jesters-crown-is-sr328 The name is apposite.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.