• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

DartagnanRed

Reaction score

Petepan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it fits, is at the right price, looks good on you and makes you happy, buy it.
I wouldn't sweat over no working cuffs and no hand sewn button holes.
Thanks for that. I was actually hoping that someone will have experience on the longevity and wear of the fabric. Two particular gripes- one, the cat whiskers creases on the pants are unsightly with lighter/inferior fabric. Second, it is annoying to have a canvassed jacketed finally molding to your body shape after several years, but then ripping/tearing the seat of the pants as the material gets worn down. The fabric is proprietary to PS, and I doubt I can get it replaced. Same problem with some of my tailored suits with lousy fabrics.

jobro

Reaction score

First rule of Aussie SF members club: you don't talk about P Johnson pricing.

I don't mind discussion however asking these types of questions annoys me greatly. Its like going to the counter of Coles with your list of groceries and asking how much is this and that before you've even had a look down the isle.

thebrownman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fair enough - just call and say, "I like the look of what I've seen/I'm interested, but cost is an important consideration for me..."

They'll tell you a ballpark, and then you make a decision. Sometimes, I think the reason some people post on Internet forums is that they lack the regular social skills to ask questions in real life...

DartagnanRed

Reaction score
Fair enough - just call and say, "I like the look of what I've seen/I'm interested, but cost is an important consideration for me..."
They'll tell you a ballpark, and then you make a decision. Sometimes, I think the reason some people post on Internet forums is that they lack the regular social skills to ask questions in real life...
My three cats and I unanimously disagree with this.

iSurg

Reaction score
Guys, guys, guys. No need to get annoyed. Too close to the jolly holiday season.

There is the concept of "there is no stupid question" (stated by almost every lecturer I've had), but we all know that's a setup for a suboptimal questions.

No need to be harsh though. Gentle guidance, please.

streetminimal

Reaction score

Petepan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just as a further reference to anyone else if they haven't gotten the clue yet.
To be fair, OP did ask for MTM "anywhere else in Australia."

I think OP wants a general idea, and do not necessarily want to waste P Johnson's time with tire-kicking.

Spirit of Xmas- give more, expect less.

TehBunny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ok let's move onto a different topic.... TBM you end up getting the aspesi?

streetminimal

Reaction score

I think OP wants a general idea, and do not necessarily want to waste P Johnson's time with tire-kicking.

Spirit of Xmas- give more, expect less.

You're going into the MTO/MTM/Bespoke/#menswear game with the wrong mindset if money is above all else. I'm sorry, but to want something that is really high quality with a hint of personalisation and have it at a 'good price' is not going to happen (in most cases that is). It's a shame that the Australian ingrained thinking of getting a 'bargain' is still affecting the way in which we consume goods. If you're unable to afford a $650 MTM jacket then move on and find something else.

P.S. The fact that it is nearing Christmas doesn't mean that people all of a sudden have to be more charitable and nice to each other, at the risk of sounding like the Grinch.

Last edited:

Petepan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're going into the MTO/MTM/Bespoke/#menswear game with the wrong mindset if money is above all else. I'm sorry, but to want something that is really high quality with a hint of personalisation and have it at a 'good price' is not going to happen (in most cases that is). It's a shame that the Australian ingrained thinking of getting a 'bargain' is still affecting the way in which we consume goods. If you're unable to afford a $650 MTM jacket then move on and find something else.
P.S. The fact that it is nearing Christmas doesn't mean that people all of a sudden have to be more charitable and nice to each other, at the risk of sounding like the Grinch.
OP is just asking for a general indication of pricing. I see no indication of him wanting to scrooge, nor him stating money is above all else, nor him stating that he wants high quality at a "good price".

Every day, every consumer is trading off price versus value. And despite your high falutin language, you will be doing exactly the same. Just that each person's concept of "value" is different, and this affects prices that they are willing or able to pay.

And dont forget that for some consumers, such as me, we have alternatives rather than Australia. Don't fall in thinking Australia is the only shopping pond available.

Like I said earlier, OP is just asking for a general idea as to pricing. A perfectly reasonable response could have been "At least $650 for decent MTM jacket" rather than hostility and rudeness.

It would be fair to say that being charitable and nice to each other is certainly worth aspiring for, Xmas or not. You dont risk sounding like Grinch at all, you just sound like an asshole.

iSurg

Reaction score
Quote:

I think your point is valid. However, in my experience, my entrance into bespoke and better MTM started with an assessment of pricing and its balance with quality of the garment. At least, that was my mentality when I dropped what I thought was a lot of money at WWC. Since then, my perception of price point now includes customer service among other things.
My point is that price still plays a part in someone's decision to go above RTW.

Also, true that the hols shouldn't influence how we interact on this forum - I prefer that we treat each other cordially throughout the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads