1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmills

jmills Senior member

I seem to show up late to the discussions a lot these days, maybe it's the time zones. A few pages ago patch pockets came up. I always thought that Guido is a good example of how to rock patch pockets on suits, and still look quite conservative.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  2. nabilmust

nabilmust Senior member

Women hath no fury like Michael scorned [​IMG]

Speaking of Michael..

3. md2010

md2010 Senior member

Thanks for you reply. Lol I knew he wouldn't make the jacket that slim. I will have to wait till next Tuesday for the result.

4. DartagnanRed

DartagnanRed Senior member

I will admit I considered naming the units in the scale "Michael Sys".

5. jmills

jmills Senior member

6. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

Dartagnan: I'm no expert on the subtleties of SF but omega at least seem to retain their quality/sophistication despite being part of realm of vacuous luxury goods.

In contrast, sometimes SF frustrates me in its distaste for things that work simply because they might be seen as 'mainstream' - for example, every review I read on boutique underground designer jeans still uses Levi's as the measuring stick despite being sometimes x6 the price. If it ain't broke, don't fix it you know?

Despite the fact they are flogged to death I also regard Ray Bans as some of the best sunglasses around (though I do have an undying love for Bret Easton Ellis).

7. UnnamedPlayer

UnnamedPlayer Senior member

what the fuck?

8. meister

meister Senior member

Def Japanese with maybe Italian second after I have been emotionally destroyed by Nutcracker's thread. Def not UK but then Cleverley might get me

9. jobro

jobro Senior member

My theory is that Rolex and Omega are like Mercedes and BMW cars. Different people, different values - the importance of local service centers, big brand name, age-old reputations, quality, option to upgrade/trade in vs vintage etc.

As for Zegna, it may be expensive but its always available and good quality. If one were able to purchase their whole wardrobe from Zegna, it's likely they will be pretty well dressed, even by SF standards. It is a convenient luxury brand which of course brings a price.

10. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

What a crock of (pick favourite animal) manure. I have worn glasses since I was three and seen them go through many styles and social, cultural changes over the years. I note that in the mid 80's a lot of Lux brands stepped up to the plate and started making fashion eyewear and that was then hi jacked by the better living by design crowd where glasses became face furniture and a personal statement, ergo who you are and how you want the world to perceive you.

I have gone through periods late teens to 30's where my main frame were ENH Ripleys and fuck Thomas Dolby I say.

Back in the late 80's mid 90's I used to wear Anglo- American frames made in England but then they closed shop, it reopened in the early 2000' s I think but they are hard to find here and quality is no longer. One thing I have noticed is that in the past ten years there has been a limited choice of frames available at particular times for example Prodesign and a lot of other brands produced combo glasses of metal and acetate this was the trend for a number of years. I wore Emanuel Ungaro metal frames for a while but after a year the model was discontinued and it was impossible to find a replacement temple.

LaFont countered the metal plastic trend producing a line of all acetate frames.Then around 2006-7 the NASA inspired heavy black acetate make a big come back and its large Buddy Holly frame which was embraced by Hipsters in particular (fuckers).

At one stage it took me 24 months to find an appropriate Le Corbusier style frame. I don't pay ridiculous amounts for my frames $350-400 on average, with my Moscot sunglasses the cost was in the dyeing, grinding and coating of hi index lenses. Currently my specs last at least three or four years, this depends on whether my script needs adjusting and for the last couple of years its stable. As I pointed out earlier the real killer is that the price of hi index lens has gone through the roof in the past five years. Firms such as Sneeking Duck are able to provide a stock lens which is in the middle minus -5 these do not cost as much to produce as a -6 or -7 and they flog cheap knockoff frames from China, for those who would like to know more I would recommend the article Made in China in GRANTA 89.

And lastly getting glasses is a bit like MTM you need to go into a store try a frame on see how it sits on your face and most importantly if its right for your script. One thing for those that wear glasses the wife bought me a book years ago Spectacles published by Chic Simple its full of good photographs and nerd type information worth getting a copy if its still in print.

End of rant.

11. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

CBD selfie today

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Suit: MJ Bale
    Shirt: Cottonwork blue herringbone
    Tie: Henry Carter 7 fold double bar repp
    Square: Random
    Shoes: Meermin MTO

3 people like this.
  12. fxh

fxh Senior member

[​IMG]

13. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

D-Red - An interesting post. I agree in some ways, but disagree in others.

1) Yes, there are some people on SF, as in the real world, who like or who laud Ray-Ban or Persol as the best or most desirable sunglasses. However, there are also a great many people who either prefer other brands, or who trawl eBay and other corners of the internet for those "pre-Luxottica-buyout" versions of classic Persol frames. I must admit that I'm not at all sure whether the quality of Persols were higher before Luxottica took over, but it's certainly a fact that there are people out there who do prefer the older Persol frames and who refuse to buy them new, now that they are part of the Luxottica stable.

2) I certainly do agree that there is an irony inherent in the fact that, whilst SF members are prepared to laud clothing made by an unknown MTO operation as long as it is well-fitted, regardless of cost, those same members will go gaga over a Panerai, vintage Rolex GMT II, PP Nautilus, Breitling Navitimer, AP Royal Oak or similar, where the cost of the watch is out of all proportion to the cost of producing it and a lot of the price is simply for the name or symbol on the dial.

I must admit that I do feel some of the same prejudice - there are plenty of nice watches around from the 1960s or 1970s from brands that have now disappeared from the marketplace or whose reputation has dwindled that use the same modified Valjoux or ETA movements as are found in a lot of higher-end, name-brand watches but even though you pay a premium for the name, I still prefer to look for Omega or Rolex, for example, instead of looking at lesser-known vintage brands.

In my defence, however, I tend to look for specific designs or models, as the look of those particular models appeals to me (and I'd like to think that the look would still appeal even if the face didn't have the Omega symbol on it, for example - although perhaps I am deluding myself!).

Also, despite a lot of name-dropping in the watch threads here on SF, there is still an appreciation for certain watches by lesser-known brands such as Nomos, Stowa, Archimede and others and, interestingly, the latter two make some watch models that are deliberately unbranded, with a plain dial with no indication of the maker - a truly utilitarian watch. Some people prefer to stick to the better-known (and typically more expensive) watchmakers, whilst other are happy to experiment with smaller brands that aren't household names.

By the way, anyone interested in some interesting articles of various watches, interspersed with the occasional food review, could do a lot worse than to have a look at the Sydney Tarts blog. The blog is written by a couple of Sydney SF members whose names I have forgotten, and I'm not even sure whether they post on SF any longer. The watch articles often focus on little-known brands and models and can be very informative. It's well worth the occasional look, as the authors are clearly passionate about watches, both new and old, regardless of whether they have a big name on the dial or not.

14. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

15. thebrownman

Loake Pimlico Dark Brown Suede chukka boots in size 8.5F from the 1880 collection, brand new in box with Herring cedar trees, beautiful last shape (Capital last)

$270 shipped anywhere in Au - PM me :)

16. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

Well done, sir. Your boots look excellent. Definitely one of the best places to get decent quality at a low price. I'll be getting all my shoes from Shanghai Tianzi from now on. They've nailed things three times for me now. A nice monkstrap next I think :)

17. Archer

Archer Member

Thanks for the post guys, I will check out TM Lewin.

I like the look of Bailey Nelson and am in the market for some Sunnies. What are the style rules concerning them? Anything to avoid for certain types of people?

And lastly what do you guys think of Julius Marlow shoes? Have two pairs and thinking of investing in a third. What would be the next logical option? I have semi pointed black lace ups and fairly square toed dark brown loafers.

18. DartagnanRed

DartagnanRed Senior member

I'm ah, not exactly sure what I said that justified this rant? Did I say anything that disagreed with any of this?

19. thebrownman

Archer, I wouldn't buy another pair of Julius Marlow shoes. Admittedly, I've not seen them lately, but assuming that's what you're willing or able to spend on shoes (dollar wise), I'd opt for Loake (1880 is preferable), Meermin or other such entry-level brands into fine shoemaking.

I'm stopping by the Bailey Nelson pop-up later today, happy to share my thoughts with you afterwards.

20. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Please avoid if at all possible, although some of their suede shoes look reasonable and it's pretty difficult to stuff up suede.

I realise that style is subjective, but most of the Julius Marlow shoes look pretty awful and they are poor quality, too - cheap leather and glued soles. Essentially, they are disposable shoes that you wear until they wear out and then throw them away and get another pair.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.