1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joiji

joiji Senior member

2. Stebbin

Stebbin Senior member

So as promised, I will post pictures of the shoes I purchased from Shanghai Tianzi. Overall, very good value shoes. The leathers were soft but strong and the handiwork looks very good.

[​IMG]
    Box that it arrived in. Nothing special. A faint smell of shoe dye and chemicals.

[​IMG]

Top of shoes.

[​IMG]

I requested a topy to prevent sliding (after a rather unfortunate incident outside Downing Centre Court with another pair of leather soled shoes.) Bonita was happy to oblige.

[​IMG]

Overall profile of shoes was very clean.

I'd say I'm very happy with those shoes. Goodyear welted, with topy and in a soft calfskin leather for around $235 shipped seems like a very good deal and I probably won't hesitate to ask Bonita for a second commission. I've bought shoes on Herring for a similar amount which have been very stiff and took a long time to break in. It looks like I won't have a problem with these badboys.

2 people like this.
  3. Romp

Romp Senior member

yeah id prefer cleverleys or hidetaka fukaya shoes for that coin personally

4. ovlov

ovlov Senior member

Hey guys,

Just saying howdy as I'm new here. Been lurking a few weeks but hoping to get more involved as I learn more. Just graduated and starting work proper in the next month or so, but have almost no wardrobe. Anyone here from Adelaide able to recommend a decent suit place to get started? Barring that I'll hopefully be in Sydney in a few weeks for admissions so I could try hunting there.

Cheers

5. smeggett

smeggett Senior member

Hmm, there's some words there I'l need to look up! I've been wearing specs since I was 6 or so and my current script is -9 or thereabouts, hence I've always been advised to get smaller frames and high index glass to reduce the thickness of the lens at the edge of the frame. I recently got a pair of safety glasses for work with a lower refractive index polycarbonate lens and the damned things are near 10mm thick at the edges! And to top it off they give me a headache whereas my normal glasses have never given me such problems.

Is there any wisdom you can impart beyond frame size and style that may assist me in finding glasses that don't have the dreaded 'coke bottle' effect?

6. Dusty Brogues

Dusty Brogues Senior member

Welcome Ovlov

Not sure what's in Adelaide apart from The Adelaide Oval, Coopers and Churches but here goes;

MTM
    Suitshop - PM Romp for all the details

OTR Suiting try
    Herringbone - Sale might still be on
    MJ Bale - 2 for a grand, plus have clearance stock

Sportscoats
    Boglioli

Ties
    Henry Carter

Shirts
    Owen &James

Shoes
    Herring
    Meermin
    Carmina
    Crockett and Jones

It's essential you get your sizing right and use topy at your peril.

Most importantly don't cross Michael Sy. Critical.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
  7. ovlov

ovlov Senior member

Haha.
    Thanks Dusty.

What's with the Topy comment? I'm all set for shoes. Just got my AE Cliftons topy'd though at a friends recommendation. I kinda screwed my budget when i saw some EG Chelseas on sale at Henry Bucks last week. They're coming off lay-by in a couple weeks and still unsure if i should be covering them up.

All the stuff you've posted I've never heard of before so I assume they're all Sydney stores. I guessed as much that I would have to look interstate at least to find anything of decent quality/value.I'm a little worried about mto stuff since the only 'fitting' suit I have at the moment came from online MTO and would be perfect if the trousers weren't about 4cm too short :/.

8. AndrewRogers

AndrewRogers Senior member

There isn't much in Adelaide but P Johnson drops by now and again. The Internet is your friend. There are some very good tailors for alterations. They are typically old and Italian. There are two in Pulteney Street that will do good work but let them know if you want something back quickly. I think the best advice is not to buy much at home! David Jones has Marcoliani socks in their town shop and, I think, some of their suburban shops. Henry Buck's is OK, too. They're on North Terrace next to Bagot House down the bottom.

9. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

Hidetaka Fukaya for sure. They look so damn cool.

10. streetminimal

streetminimal Senior member

Damn I didn't know Australia had it's own version of Warby Parker. Too late though, already got $200 worth of glasses from BonLook.

11. TehBunny

TehBunny Senior member

^I'd probably go Cleverley as my first bespoke and then branch out; the Hidetaka Fukaya's shoe boxes alone are so darn beautiful! Lets start a shoe discussion; who would you go wiht if you went bespoke and why?

P.S.
    Hopefully (maybe unfortunately for you guys :p) this will get me posting frequently again :)

12. Romp

Romp Senior member

i want a pair just for the box they come with... includes all the gear to keep them looking fresh. I went to his store in Florence - its near Frasi and his shoes are all works of art.. id be scared to wear them and dare i say they might not even be comfortable to wear but they look amazing

[​IMG]

http://www.permanentstyle.co.uk/2013/01/hidetaka-fukaya-il-micio.html#.UX5kuLU0d8E

13. DartagnanRed

DartagnanRed Senior member

Warning: This may open a bit of a can of worms. One thing I love about this forum is a general distaste for garish, big brand "luxury" goods. For example, most medium to long term forum members would agree that Boss suits, LV almost everything, Hermes ties, Ferragamo shoes, Zegna shirts etc are overpriced and pale (to varying degrees) in terms of quality compared to alternatives. This attitude is what has spawned or encouraged all the great Styleforum sellers like Panta, Howard Yount, Epaulet, Kent Wang etc and in our localised corner O&J and HC. But there remain two notable category exceptions:

1) Eyewear - "SF approved" (not that this matters at all) glasses include Persol, which surely have the largest margins of any glasses in the Luxxotica stable. I suspect that a lot of the loyalty to ridiculously priced prescription frames is due to a lack of decent alternatives thanks to Luxxotica's gross near monopoly.
    2) Watches - Somehow Rolex and Omega have maintained an aura of wantability on SF despite big margins and being the go to watch brands for wannabe bigshots for a long time. Further, as Kent Wang notes, the watch seems the only accessory a well dressed bloke is happy to clearly display a big brand on.

Of course I appreciate that both Rolex and Omega (and the other big brands I've heard thrown around recently like IWC, JLC etc) make fantastic stuff.

But similarly Zegna Couture makes great suits, but most of you would get a bespoke suit or multiple MTM made for the same cash. Why is this different for watches?

Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  14. joiji

joiji Senior member

The recommendation for MJ Bale and Herringbone are both sound. If you want something closer to home I've taken a liking to Adelaide Suits Direct, for pricing at least. Very conservative, but if you're starting out that might be just what you need.

Nothing locally for shoes, but I think that's almost universal for Australia aside from a couple of exemptions (Double Monk, for one.). Loake and Meermin are probably good starts until you find your feet, so to speak. Actually, there's one place down by Peter Van the Party Man doing MTM/Bespoke if you've got deep pockets.

Ties go to Jason at Henry Carter, otherwise I know there's a lot of love for Drakes and EG Cappelli around the forums.

There's a little around if you know where to look. Hahndorf has a couple of places to get bridle leather belts, and I've spotted a couple of places which advertise as leatherworkers, but have had no need to investigate. Couple of old Italian tailors around the place if you want something bespoke.

15. DartagnanRed

I'm hoping any responses to my question don't exceed a 2 on this scale:
    [​IMG]

7 people like this.
  16. joiji

joiji Senior member

I love this scale.

17. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

18. md2010

md2010 Senior member

I dropped a PRL jacket for alteration at Varnavas C Classic Tailoring in Town Hall arcade today. I have been using my local Italian tailor in Hornsby for quite some times now. But since I have moved out of north I thought I might as well try this tailor in the city. I have read here few Sydney members recommended him for jacket alteration. He is charging the same as my other tailor $150 for sides taken in, sleeves shortened and sleeves taken in as well.
    They way he measured me and pinned the jacket is completely different to my other tailor. He only used 1 pin each sides and 1 pin each sleeves and just used chalk mark for sleeve length . Other tailor would use 3/4 pins each sides few pins on the center back seam and 3 pins on each sides of sleeve and 1 pin for shortening of the sleeves and 1 extra pin at the end of the sleeves for that perfect tapering.
    Now I am just worried Varnavas tailor may not to able to alter the jacket to my liking as he simply didn't take enough measurements. He seems like against a slim fully fitted look ! Can anyone shed any light on how your tailor marks your jacket ?

cheers
    **sorry about a long post.:embar:

19. iSurg

iSurg Senior member

Smeggett: you can try to decrease the edge thickness by getting frames for smaller lenses. Avoid oval frames. I tend to stick with rectangular frames. Ensure the frames are suited to the distance between your pupils. Otherwise, the optometrist decentres the lens and hence you may end up with a thicker lens edge. For that amount of myopia, high index is considered with the trade off being more dispersion ie. chromatic aberration as I previously said. One might consider glass instead of high index, but weight becomes an issue. For us who are high myopes, the main contributor to poor cosmesis is actually the prismatic effect of the lens, which increases as you get further from the optical centre of the lens. I guess contacts are a way to get around this, but you lose part of the benefits of prismatic effect, which is easier convergence for near work and reading.

20. DartagnanRed

Hey mate, Varnavas takes very little measurements and makes few markings. He is extremely experienced, he's not an alterations guy he's actually a full bespoke tailor. He only does alterations because his clientele is older and slowly dying. His other talent is making wigs for judges and barristers, in fact he's the only guy in Aus who can actually make these. Bottom line, I wouldn't worry about the lack of measurements.

However, in regards to your second concern this may be an issue. In my experience you are right in that he certainly does not like the very fitted look and this may affect how he alters your jacket. I have had two jackets taken in by him and both were made slightly less tapered than I orginally had in mind, but I now appreciate that he was right, it looks less boyish and is more comfortable. You may find otherwise, good luck!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.