• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oli2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most of my friends think its gay that I'm on a styleforum. I however, think their pointy loafers and old man suits are gay.

JimmyHoffa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It isn't so much Styleforum in particular.

I think the firm doesn't like the idea of what I say on the Internet being associated with the firm's name.

Except, doesn't this problem happen to people with Facebook accounts? You guys post pictures of yourselves getting plastered on the weekend, everyone knows you work for a management consulting firm, bam, the reputation of the firm is in jeopardy.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Me thinks they don't really care. You think upper management don't get shitfaced themselves? They get shitfaced with clients all the time. Just another thing they can use as an excuse to try terminate your employment when **** goes down.

Get shitfaced, and poast on forvms. Stick it to the man!

And Gilly was 10x more entertaining to watch than Punter ever was.

Last edited:

thebrownman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Most of my friends think its gay that I'm on a styleforum. I however, think their pointy loafers and old man suits are gay.

In any case, neither your presence on this Internet forum nor their penchant for pointy loafers and horrid suiting are sufficient determinants of whether one is, in fact, "gay".

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

6205  MEN'S OR BOYS' SHIRTS:   
 6205.20.00  - Of cotton  10%
DC:5%
   From 1 January 2015  5%
   54 No  Business or formal   
   09 No  Men's industrial   
   10 No  Other  

Should be 10% until Jan 15 .... :(

http://www.customs.gov.au/webdata/resources/files/HT62AW2012.pdf 

Rob I just checked my invoice from Fedex and you are right, 10 % on shirts. I honestly didn't take much notice because the shipment was pretty small and so the duty amount was too. I'm too used to the 5% on ties. You learn something everyday.

Oli2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In any case, neither your presence on this Internet forum nor their penchant for pointy loafers and horrid suiting are sufficient determinants of whether one is, in fact, "gay".

I see gay as a term with duplicitous meaning.

On the one hand it refers to those who are attracted to the same sex.

On the other it refers to things that are weak, effeminate or frustrating - eg Kia Rios, skinny jeans, Taylor Swift...

Terms of derogatory origin can take on neutral or even positive connotations - *****r for example, or my personal favourite, ****.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll be up the top end, Spring Street tomorrow for meeting -5.30pm to 7.00pm - College of Surgeons - its an open meeting you are welcome,. if anyone wants to catchup afterwards or during.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I see gay as a term with duplicitous meaning. 
On the one hand it refers to those who are attracted to the same sex. 
On the other it refers to things that are weak, effeminate or frustrating - eg Kia Rios, skinny jeans, Taylor Swift...

I'd like to see you convenience my gym workout muscle boy boxing classes gay friends that gay = things that are weak, effeminate or frustrating

Oli2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd like to see you convenience my gym workout muscle boy boxing classes gay friends that gay = things that are weak, effeminate or frustrating

I'd like to see your friends convince me that someone referring to the film Titanic as 'gay' is anything but.

sliq

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It isn't so much Styleforum in particular.

I think the firm doesn't like the idea of what I say on the Internet being associated with the firm's name.

Except, doesn't this problem happen to people with Facebook accounts? You guys post pictures of yourselves getting plastered on the weekend, everyone knows you work for a management consulting firm, bam, the reputation of the firm is in jeopardy.

as long as i don't do anything illegal (which is completely against the 'spirit' of the firm), the boss encourages jollifications. that includes getting plastered, womanising etc. (but no drugs). not that i do any plastering. or womanising. or drugs. Gosh i'm boring.

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

as long as i don't do anything illegal (which is completely against the 'spirit' of the firm), the boss encourages jollifications. that includes getting plastered, womanising etc. (but no drugs). not that i do any plastering. or womanising. or drugs. Gosh i'm boring.

Where do I apply? Lol

I'll be up the top end, Spring Street tomorrow for meeting -5.30pm to 7.00pm - College of Surgeons - its an open meeting you are welcome,. if anyone wants to catchup afterwards or during.

Please tell me u r stopping by the European for a drink or some dinner. My fave spot in melb

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Rob I just checked my invoice from Fedex and you are right, 10 % on shirts. I honestly didn't take much notice because the shipment was pretty small and so the duty amount was too. I'm too used to the 5% on ties. You learn something everyday.

Yeah I adds up. Say your shirt is 100 cif. 10% is 110 then gst is 10% on that ie 121.. So its about 21% of tax

Selvaggio

Reaction score

I'd like to see your friends convince me that someone referring to the film Titanic as 'gay' is anything but. 

MMmmm...there is an obvious rejoinder (or two) to this but I think I will leave it alone.

If I can have a bit of a letter to-the-editor moment, I will say this modern usage of 'gay' by the youf of today annoys the crap out of me. I have this running battle with the young Selvaggi. "Gay' = lame, Daddy-o, they tell me (cue major eye-rolling), not "actually gay".

Yes, I say, have you thought about the origin of the term and how any of our friends who are, you know, like, "actually gay' might feel about this if they heard you saying this. But the kicker is when I say, what about your friends who are gay - don't you think it a bit insensitive (at the very least) to constantly label everything bad and daggy in the world as gay? (More eye-rolling). "not applicable" they say. Of course, they are wrong, they just don't know it yet.

So, Oli, I don't mean to put you down, I assume you are youngish and I will freely admit to being out of touch. I also assume, for benefit of the doubt, that like my daughters you don't actually dislike gay people and feel the need to put them down. But, when you use gay a lot in your posts I picture you as a teenage girl. We might also have members here who are "actually gay" and I am sure they must just grit their teeth when they hear or see the word gay used in this way. Just sayin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads