1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

Was funny having to introduce yourself as two people.

Next time, name tags!

2. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Had a great time. My favourite moment was when chatting to one of the legal fraternity (you never know). He owns his own dinosaur skeleton, which the ten year old in me found awesome.

3. click here

click here Senior member

Any Aussies here interested in buying a Herringbone 100% Cashmere V Neck Sweater in Camel off me? It is new (although One side of the label has come off) size 48, retail price was $399.

[​IMG]

Colour is slightly darker...kinda like this
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u...r-product-1-4595802-889857521_large_flex.jpeg

Selling for $125 shipped to anywhere in Australia

EDIT: Changed my mind, too beautiful to let it go

Last edited: Apr 19, 2013
  4. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

I wore mine, they were pink and on my feet. Think I meet most SFers who were there, expect maybe TobiasJ, who I saw but did not get around to chatting with (sorry TJ).

Great turnout, and all well turned out.

Love the brown grenadine I picked up (have an event tomorrow night which I am going to giving it it's debut), the gloves are lovely (got one pair for myslef and one as a fututre present), my wife had great fun playing around on her iPhone with them when I got home.

Need another Melbourne meetup in a month or so. Let's get Nice Guy Gerry to organise as he knows everyone...everywhere.

5. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

Yes, great night! I'd pre-ordered one of the brown grenadine ties but also picked up a pair of the navy cashmere gloves and a blackwatch scarf.

Agreed!

6. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Not necessarily a bad thing, as long as they dress like well-dressed old men from the 50s!
    I do agree, though, that there is a line between dressing well and costume, and you can just as easily look "costumey" by dressing very conservatively if you are young, as you can by dressing in brightly coloured clothes with a floppy hat and a twisted tie...

I must admit that is true. I gave most of my stuff away some years back, but I had quite a few silk shirts (both button-up shirts as well as t-shirts!), some pretty awful ties, and baggy trousers with too many pleats that were purchased back in my university days.

I think that the only remnant that I have of those times is a pair of old, black Doc Marten boots.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
  7. fxh

fxh Senior member

*cough, cough*

Do you keep them near the old Cure, Joy Division and J&MC vinyl albums?

8. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

I never liked the Jesus & Mary Chain, but did have quite a few albums by The Cure and Joy Division!

However, I was more into the morose meanderings of The Smiths and Morrissey.

9. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

Goddam that Herringbone model's hair is distracting.

10. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

Man I used to love Docs. So much so that I wore them in summer with shorts (hey, it was the 90s).

Every pair I had eventually split across the toes though. I guess wearing them every day and never having heard of shoe trees didn't help there, but still...

11. fxh

fxh Senior member

I see 22 year olds, mostly on the net I must say, in gun club check sport jackets, and grey wool pants with no attempt at looking young and cool. I'll acknowledge it does depend what your context is and I accept that some workplaces are bland and conservative (you know who I'm looking at now) but sadly I suspect many are dressing like this to go out on a "date" or in an attempt to grow up.

You can look to the past for real inspiration that still feels "modern".

With thanks to Nicole from Circa Vintage shop http://circavintageclothing.com.au/ in the Mitchell Building who scanned these in.
    From a Sydney chain - Marcus Clark http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcus_Clark_&_Co.
    http://www.hht.net.au/discover/high...shing_stores,_1890-1960/marcus_clark__and__co
    1961 Catalog

[​IMG]

12. fxh

fxh Senior member

Oh dear

13. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

No one wants to look like an old man - especially old men.

1 person likes this.
  14. fxh

fxh Senior member

Now this is spooky - someone on the radio just mentioned Morrissey and Meat Is Murder!!!!

15. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Clearly, a person of distinguished taste!

Coincidentally, I picked up a second-hand, vinyl copy of that album from a record store in Shinjuku, in Tokyo, about 18 years ago.

16. AriGold

AriGold Senior member

recent sydney looks. I hope i don't look like a 22 year old dressing like a 50 year old:

[​IMG]
    RL Black Label
    Band of Outsiders
    Zimma Tailors
    Crocket and Jones (not vis)

[​IMG]
    Herringbone POW Check
    Brooks brothers ESF
    Ralph Lauren

[​IMG]
    Herringbone
    E. Zenga
    Herringbone
    Alden for BB(not vis)

[​IMG]
    RL Black Label
    Brooks Brothers ESF
    Herringbone
    Crocket and Jones for RL(not vis)

[​IMG]
    RL Black Label
    Brooks Brothers ESF
    Zimma Tailors
    Alden Cordovan(not vis)

17. Prince of Paisley

Interesting stuff. They were bought out by Waltons, who in turn were bought out by...

...Alan Bond.

18. Prince of Paisley

You seem to have a reasonable idea of how to coordinate colour without doing anything too "out there", with the exception of the tie in the last pic which is real estate shiny. I'll try not to be too nitpicky and don't take this personally but a few other observations:

* your suits generally fit you pretty well, particularly the HB ones
    * your shirt collars have a few issues which are more pressing (e.g. one has curling points, one is too spread for FIH tie knot, BD doesn't work with that suit, one is too soft...)
    * that watch, nice though it may be, stands out too much (particularly on that strap); personally I'd look for something a little slimmer and dressier for wear with a suit, or wear the Speedy (??) with your casual gear or on a plain leather/metal band with your suits.

19. AriGold

AriGold Senior member

thanks PoP - agree with you on all points above- especially about the shirt collars. I recently just overhauled my shirt wardrobe because all the shirts above are about 2-4 years old!

20. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

PoP is a very, very hard man to please.

Which shirt is too spread for the FIH?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.