• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marbles

Reaction score
Most of the English shoemakers offer different widths. Worth checking out Herring & Pediwear to see if they have anything that suits your taste.

There's always bespoke.....
stirpot.gif

joiji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cottonwork is fairly cool Romp.

And a cross post from the 'Carmina Shoe P0rn Thread:
Guys I have very flat and short feet; they usually bulge out the sides because the sole width of the waist is not enough for my extremely flat feet. Yet when I size up to accommodate this they are just too long. What last would you recommend for this? (if Carmina has none maybe another company?)
Try Alden or English makers. I can't imagine Italian styles are going to do you any favours. Mayyybe Vass?

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Cottonwork is fairly cool Romp. And a cross post from the 'Carmina Shoe P0rn Thread: Guys I have very flat and short feet; they usually bulge out the sides because the sole width of the waist is not enough for my extremely flat feet. Yet when I size up to accommodate this they are just too long. What last would you recommend for this? (if Carmina has none maybe another company?)
+1 on the English shoes suggestion, as a lot of the English makers have shoes in "F" and "G" widths as well as their standard width. As well as Pediwear, Herring and the other usual suspects, it's also worth having a look on eBay at some of the resellers like sausages123 (?) as they often have good prices on slight seconds in wider widths but, of course, the choice of model and size is often limited. At the lower end, Barker makes wide shoes with plenty of interior room and at the upper end, Edward Green's 202 last has plenty of interior room (based on my personal experiences). Also, if you happen to have flat feet, you might like to look at Allen-Edmonds, a US brand. Some of their shoes aren't good for people with "high" feet (ie where the top of the foot comes up high, a high instep), but they have some very wide fittings.

TehBunny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fuk it if nothing works after trying them on (American Tailors and Double Monk once they come along) I'm gonna wear sneakers to work (We have no dress code :p) and save for a pair of bespoke shoes! (no matter how long I have to wear sneakers for T_T)

Windowpane1967

Reaction score

DartagnanRed

Reaction score
Interesting as usual CW.

Interesting question for those of you in the know, - have been invited to function next week in Darwin, dress code "Territory Rig".....WTF is that? Visual aids and suggestions welcomed.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Interesting as usual CW.

Interesting question for those of you in the know, - have been invited to function next week in Darwin, dress code "Territory Rig".....WTF is that?  Visual aids and suggestions welcomed.

WP, the last time I was in Darwin a few years back (and this has been consistent over the past couple of decades), the usual male outfit was a blue cotton singlet, a pair of shorts slung too low at both back and front, and a pair of Blundstones or thongs.

If you'd prefer to be a step up from that, I'd think that a cotton shirt (preferably either light blue or checked), a pair of beige cotton trousers and a pair of RM Williams boots would be acceptable - just refer to the RM Williams catalogue for inspiration!

Windowpane1967

Reaction score

Very Funny, however how does this correlate to Territory Rig...Im missing the connection here. Are you suggesting DR I take a guest dresses accordingly perhaps??? Am certain Parliament House will not have seen anything quite as wild for many a years.

Windowpane1967

Reaction score
WP, the last time I was in Darwin a few years back (and this has been consistent over the past couple of decades), the usual male outfit was a blue cotton singlet, a pair of shorts slung too low at both back and front, and a pair of Blundstones or thongs.
If you'd prefer to be a step up from that, I'd think that a cotton shirt (preferably either light blue or checked), a pair of beige cotton trousers and a pair of RM Williams boots would be acceptable - just refer to the RM Williams catalogue for inspiration!
Yep, how true. Hmmm, will have to dig deep in the washing this weekend to find that kind of get up. I remember last time I attended a function at Parly House I wore a tie!!! People didnt laugh behind my back, they didnt need to, they told me straight up. Was an interesting induction to the Top End

Windowpane1967

Reaction score

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Cottonwork is fairly cool Romp. And a cross post from the 'Carmina Shoe P0rn Thread: Guys I have very flat and short feet; they usually bulge out the sides because the sole width of the waist is not enough for my extremely flat feet. Yet when I size up to accommodate this they are just too long. What last would you recommend for this? (if Carmina has none maybe another company?)
You could try going half a size down and for a G or wide fit in UK sizes. Some UK makers use their own sizing letters, usually F is standard and G is wide but see preceding statement. Trace your foot - accurately - and send tracing and measurements plus volume measurement, to Herring and they'll tell you what is best. You may still get it wrong. Your best bet is to go into a shoe store thats sells UK shoes and try on and buy. Its not very complicated.

The Ernesto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I expect the Government will announce this afternoon it will not alter the tax-free import threshold of $1,000, and will address inefficiencies in import mechanisms.
Stay tuned for wailing from out of touch retailers - and my favourite rent seeker and race horse owner - Gerry Harvey.

An expert panel has urged the government to immediately halve the $1000 GST-free threshold for goods bought from overseas online, and said Canberra should consider changes that could ultimately see the threshold cut to as little as $20.

With state budgets under severe pressure due to sluggish growth in GST revenue, a report by former premiers Nick Greiner and John Brumby and businessman Bruce Carter, published on Friday, said collecting more tax from overseas online purchases should be a ''high priority''.

It said the current threshold of $1000 was out of step with other countries, and the government needed to consider ways to bolster the tax and ensure a level playing field for local retailers.

As a first step, it argued the threshold should be halved to $500 ''immediately''.

In the longer term, it said federal and state governments should look at requiring overseas suppliers to collect the tax, as domestic retailers do.

This would allow the government to dramatically lower the threshold without the expense of having to handle hundreds of thousands of extra parcels – the dilemma it faces now.

"Such an approach would enable the GST exemption threshold for physical parcels to be reduced to a nominal level, no more than $20 or $50,'' the report said.

The panel said it accepted that shoppers were not only attracted to foreign online stores by the lack of GST. However, this was ''beside the point''.

''We are under no illusions that lowering the threshold would be a panacea to local retailers, as has sometimes been suggested. But to some extent this is beside the point,'' the report said.

''We can see no reason why the GST should not be paid on this category of domestic consumption as long as the costs of collection are lower than the tax paid.''

Despite the arguments in favour of lowering the threshold, it is understood the government has no plans to make such a change in the short-term.

A taskforce within Treasury has been investigating how to make parcel processing more efficient – a necessary first step to collecting more revenue in an efficient way.

A final report from the taskforce, handed to Assistant Treasurer David Bradbury in September, said that cutting the threshold to $500 would be more cost-effective than slashing it dramatically, as some retailers have called for.

The government's official response to the Treasury taskforce, due in the coming weeks, is expected to avoid changing the threshold, instead focusing on collecting the tax more efficiently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads