1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Romp

Romp Senior member

60% of the time it works everytime!

2. The False Prophet

The False Prophet Senior member

I was hitherto unaware that Journeyman and I weren't the only lawyers here. And Oli, for that matter.

There is no sex appeal in Australian politics. Probably better that way. 'Politician hot' is like 'office hot' but without even the outside chance of a cheeky wristie in the copy room...

3. The False Prophet

The False Prophet Senior member

P.S. Nabil: Freehills' office is shit. One of the worst buildings in town, built for the '88 Expo. Really.

Failing lunch, how about a drink after work? We can take you to the Bavarian Beer Cafe. It's just like Sydney but with river views. Or something.

4. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

"The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers."

5. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

Few questions:

1) What books would you lot consider the essentials on menswear? I have Flusser's 'Dressing the Man' and Manton's book but I wouldn't mind some more.

2) Do I want the ultra or combination shoe tree from woodlore?

3) For my first oxfords do I want meerkats or loakes?

Ty :D

Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
  6. Stiva

Stiva Senior member

As spoken by Dick the Butcher. Any butchers here.

But the prize for the best lawyer bash belongs to Samuel Taylor Coleridge:

He saw a LAWYER killing a Viper
    On a dung-heap beside his stable,
    And the Devil smiled, for it put him to mind
    Of Cain and his brother, Abel.

7. Stiva

Stiva Senior member

Hardy Amies, ABC of Men's Style.

8. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

Not sure about shoe trees from Woodlore but plenty others can chime in on them.

As for books. One of the best book I have ever read (not just on menswear) is The Englishman's Suit by Hardy Amies. I was raving about it to Lennier at the HC Trunk Show this evening (fxh said his other books are well worth it too).

Gentleman by Bernhard Roetezel (sp?) is really great and I refer to it a lot.

Details: Manual by Daniel Peres is a simple overview which is quite good.

James Sherwood books on Savile Row and London are glamourous reads.

I have a stack of others (still keen to order Fuckyeahmenswear by Lawrence Schlossman (sp?) and Kevin Burrows and a very interesting book I have seen around call Power and Style or something - about how power and clothes have worked together throughout history).

I would recommend Hardy Amies book and Gentleman first.

Look forward to what others recommend.

9. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

FYMW was a waste of time and money, you can have my copy if you're willing to wait.

10. Romp

Romp Senior member

i bought the Ralph Lauren coffee table book yesterday - its thick and has glossy photos. What I like most is the plastic book jacket so if I spill coffee on it I can wipe it straight off

1 person likes this.
  11. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

I remember the leather bound special edition version printed in limited quantities - content is identical but the way it was presented was just beautiful :)

Nice one, Romp.

12. Manuhiri

Manuhiri Well-Known Member

These are some of the books I've used over the years.

[​IMG]

If I was only buying one it would definitely be Gentleman by Bernard Roetzel.

The Simon Compton book Tailoring (part of a series called Le Snob) is great if you are considering having something made for you.

13. Romp

Romp Senior member

yeah its nice - i didnt have a bedside table so ive stacked a bunch of old books and put the RL one on top hehe

in other news ZOMG i should have checked the weather before I left this morning - my unlined Loro Piana 3 ply is great in the heat but lets the cold wind straight through today :(

14. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

I couldn't believe fxh turned up last night in his brought red linen suit, camo double monks and no socks!

We all had to sign non-disclosure agreements so you'll have to imagine for yourselves ...

15. Romp

Romp Senior member

was his camo painted ferrari outside?

16. CHECKstar

CHECKstar Senior member

Agreed - I drooled over a copy in the Beverly Hills RL store last year. From memory the asking price was somewhere in line with my plane tickets.

17. Prince of Paisley

This is a nice book to have, and it's cheap enough nowadays, but really the advice contained within is very much dated to a certain period in (British) history. Good if you're a student of the history of men's clothing; not so good as a practical guide on how to dress today (IMO of course)...

18. Prince of Paisley

There are one or two doctors/residents about I think, I suppose they would qualify!

19. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

I might take you up on that LM, keen to see it as I enjoyed the website.

PM me or I will PM later when I get the chance.

20. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

There's an article in The Age's "Executive Style" section this morning on the rise and rise of online portals for purchasing "Jermyn Street" shirts:

http://www.theage.com.au/executive-...r-websavvy-shirt-shoppers-20130418-2i1bs.html

I was very pleased to see that it made only a very, very brief mention of Thomas Pink, and that it instead discusses Turnbull & Asser, Harvie & Hudson, TM Lewin, Charles Tyrwhitt and Hawes & Curtis.

Of course, to say that places like Charles Tyrwhitt and other places with a retail presence on Jermyn St are "Jermyn Street" shirtmakers is rather an exaggeration - or even a misrepresentation - as very few such places make shirts in the UK anymore (and even fewer would actually make the shirts on Jermyn St). Instead, most of them nowadays (with the exception of T&A, H&K and perhaps a couple of others) have their shirts made in Turkey, Eastern Europe, Northern Africa or Asia and they then sell them as "English" (albeit not "English-made" shirts).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.