1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CHECKstar

CHECKstar Senior member

Are you implying those of us who have been fitted by PJ's Melbourne operation are getting ripped-off?

2. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

I thought we already cleared this up previously?

http://www.styleforum.net/t/88856/australian-members/28080#post_6203760

3. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

What would you guys consider as the most elegant, lined chukka boot available?

4. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Suede or leather? Carmina make a beautiful one that's on my list in the rain last, Gerry might have them possibly?

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. thebrownman

Suede, Jas.

Those are on the Soller last (ones pictured). I think.

6. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Not that I want to sound too pedantic, but it's Savile Row (with one "l"), not Saville Row.

[​IMG]

Also, from memory, Patrick Johnson trained as a shirtmaker on Jermyn St, rather than as a fitter on Savile Row.

Alfred Sargent have some very nice-looking chukka boots, particularly in the AS Exclusive range.

The C&J Tetbury is also nice - does the 348 last fit you?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
  7. thebrownman

The 348 is possibly the worst fitting last I've ever tried. It gapes in the heel and is tight in the toe box.

I like the look of many Alfred Sargent styles but have no experience with their lasts.

8. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

The dog barks the caravan moves on.

Found these two clothes brushes lurking in the back of my bedside cupboard today, hadn't seen them in years think I picked them up in an op shop years ago. Normally have use two horse hair and also had a wonder brush which is great removing the excess of young children off black trousers.

Both designed for traveling one made out of acetate the other looks like it was part of some coat hanger combo as there two small holes in the wood then you simply fold and voila it folds into a brush made in japan think the bristles are horse.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
  9. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

Just throwing it out there from left field, but maybe the RMW chukka boot (the Kingsvale)? Looks good in suede and you can try on in an RM store as opposed to rolling the dice with Carmina lasts. About $325 online, don't know how that compares to the Carminas but I'd wager a bit cheaper.

[​IMG]

Christian Kimber is also an option for you of course. I'm sure Gerry etc. could give you some insight into how they wear as well.

10. Romp

Romp Senior member

wow these look quite decent for $325 + RMW quality.

I might investigate.

and yes Kimber has a brown chukka soon too TBM

11. joiji

joiji Senior member

Carmina make some on a few lasts (Simpson, Soller, Rain), C&J make some on a couple of different lasts (348, 325? I think.). Vass on the F or U would be nice too.

12. Prince of Paisley

Yeah, if I was in the market I would probably go with these. Never liked the kangaroo versions (comfortable as hell but too wrinkly for me) but RMW suede is good quality in my experience and suits this style of boot much better. Also I think they are all MTO so you could probably ask that the factory leave the longhorn logo off the upper if you want, not that it's all that noticeable in the suede version.

I was interested to learn it also comes in a black suede as well - I think it was you Romp IIRC that was interested in black suede boots a while back?

13. joiji

joiji Senior member

14. Plestor

Plestor Senior member

I'm rather partial to the Vass. Obviously the normal Vass problems tho...

Talking of boots just got some Cheaney FS029s in. Lovely boot in danite too so no topys required... I'd warn people that its the lighter of the two colours you see floating around in various online pictures tho.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2013
  15. fxh

fxh Senior member

A word of warning - once a long time ago someone got the order mixed up, maybe Gerry, and Vass sent a combination last - turned out to be a FU last!

Bad karma all round!

16. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

Really like the look of those as well the Carmina pair - don't have either but soon it will be time to replace my pair of dark brown suede chukkas (Florsheim Asian-made).

17. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

Welcome back! You have been missed!

18. Prince of Paisley

Nice. How did you go about ordering those out of interest? I've seen the pics floating about and they are without doubt a handsome boot. Would love to see some pics of your boots if you have a chance.

19. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

Oh man, those double monks must blow the minds of some of the bogan clients!

Simon: I've seen some of your suits around, the cut is boring and the wool isn't great. Your australian Marino wool option is $1K compared to MJ Bale's 2 for a grand deal.

Jason: Suede!! I'm going to get some meerkats down the line myself.

PoP: I don't know that RMW do the kingsvale in suede anymore, only chestnut.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2013
  20. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

...but I wear ties only about 10 times a year, so while the collection may grow, I hope slowly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.