1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

That and I also hope no-one here has friends or family in Iraq, where even worse bombings took place today and worse loss of life.

2. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

That's just awful.

3. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

Well done for still dressing the part. Pretty sure I'd just wear trackies :slayer:

4. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

I was born in Boston. Not sure if any of you have been there, but its such a lovely, leafy place. Not the kind of city where you would ever expect something like this to happen. It's a lot like Melbourne, actually...

5. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

Yeah, I'm in danger of doing that as well. I guess if I get dressed, it also puts me in the right frame of mind - another day of work but just located at home ...

6. UnnamedPlayer

UnnamedPlayer Senior member

fuck off

7. Romp

Romp Senior member

yeah i traded mine about 5 years ago - got over big watches pretty quickly but still have a luminor in the safe that will be traded for a vintage reverso once i find one!

8. PapaRubbery

PapaRubbery Senior member

TheWraith's post was about perspective.

Dead white girls are the most news worthy deaths. We seem to be, based upon the level of reporting and mass outrage, be more upset with the death of a few americans than dozens of iraqi's.

Boston is horrible, it's a real shame people would be willing to induce terror against an innocent civilian population - but the same thing happens daily in Iraq and we simply don't hear about it. Or Syria.

9. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Agreed.

It's rather off-topic for this forum, but most people in Australia empathise more with something that happens in the US, Canada, the UK or other, similar countries than with something that happens in the Middle East. This is because, in general, most Australians tend to have more in common with the US, Canada, the UK etc and not much in common with African, Middle Eastern, Central Asian and other such countries and so, as a consequence, we don't pay as much attention to them and things that happen there don't seem to have as much relevance to us.

I think that this is both sad and unfortunate, but it's also understandable. You feel sad when your friend's dog dies, but you don't feel particularly sad when you read in a newspaper that people died in a factory explosion in India or a mine collapse in China, simply because you are much more connected to the former than the latter.

So, whilst it's unfortunate, I can easily understand why a bomb in Boston attracts more attention and more emotion than a bomb in Baghdad. Furthermore, bombings in Baghdad and its environs are quite common, whereas bombings in Boston are extremely rare, and hence they are more newsworthy.

1 person likes this.
  10. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

Whilst events in war torn Iraq and Syria are a tragedy there's something particularly dark about travelling thousands of miles to blow up civilians on another continent.

11. appolyon

appolyon Senior member

How eloquently put. Wanna tell us what got your teenage panties in a twist?

12. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Well, I don't think that we know yet who carried out the bombings in Boston.

It could have been someone from the Middle East, it could have been someone with Middle Eastern heritage living in the US, it could have been homegrown extremism of the Timothy McVeigh kind, or it could just have been a nutcase who had an extreme grudge against athletes.

13. appolyon

appolyon Senior member

You mean like the way we introduce democracy around the world?

And JourneyMan I think reports are saying they have a Saudi national in custody ... so that may be where Oli got that from.

14. ColdEyedPugilist

ColdEyedPugilist Senior member

You'll love democracy even if it kills you.

Just ask Uncle Sam.

15. ColdEyedPugilist

Ah.. But that's only collateral damage, see?

No comparison.

16. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

But if I had two coins to rub together I know what I'd put it on...

I'm not getting into this wank - people died today.

Back to topic - is there any M2M shirt place in Aus with similar quality/price to cottonwork? I have a shirt I want copied.

17. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

I close StyleForum, nekminnit, talk gets political.

Here's my WIWT shot:

[​IMG]

Jacket, Shirt, PS - Herringbone
    Tie - Henry Carter

18. ColdEyedPugilist

Murder is murder. Period.

And it sickens me.

Remember a particularly noteworthy line from Denzel's character in The Siege, when asked if he preferred going after a US Army general for illegal torture or going after a key terror leader for killing Americans: "You don't let any murderer go! Any murderer!"

19. appolyon

appolyon Senior member

20. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Back to clothing, some more previews for the trunk show. Still lots more to come.

Wool 3 folds

[​IMG]

Silk repp 7 folds

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.