• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prof. B. Bear

Reaction score

Frankly - and this is, of course, just my personal opinion - I thought that the tab collars were the weakest part of Bond's outfits.
To me, tab collars are very "trad", in the US sense, and thus they cry out to be worn with other trad clothes - sack suits, Brooks Brothers hopsack blazers, grey flannel trousers, longwing shoes and so on. I think that Bond would have looked much better if he had worn his usual, spread collar shirts from the other recent Bond movies.
On the other hand - and this is possibly contradictory and will make me sound like a hypocrite - button-down collar shirts are more versatile than tab-collar shirts, despite the fact that they are also "trad". I wouldn't hesitate to wear a navy linen suit with a white, button-down collar linen shirt and a knit tie, but I wouldn't wear a tab collar shirt with that outfit. Then again, that's just my subjective view.
With regard to the ties, I'd definitely prefer to wear a knit tie and the coral silk knit doesn't look too bad although it is very bright. I think that some people on here have been a bit critical of the quality of the Tie Bar knit ties, but they are certainly very keenly priced.
Oh, and congratulations on the anniversary - I hope that you have a lovely day, regardless of what you decide to wear!

Many thanks JM! I agree about the tie being too bright. Trying to find a happy medium is proving to be a pain. Any suggestions for other knit ties? I was thinking a plain navy or a navy/red stripe but think that will look a little too business-like.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If it's outdoors at that temp, I'd dress to be as cool as possible! Better to be slightly less dapper than you could be but be the only man not sweating up a storm....

Thanks Lachy. The suit is one of my lighter weight ones, so that should be OK. I figure I need to decide now so I don't wear it to work later this week as it heats up here.

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Many thanks JM! I agree about the tie being too bright. Trying to find a happy medium is proving to be a pain. Any suggestions for other knit ties? I was thinking a plain navy or a navy/red stripe but think that will look a little too business-like.

Mate I'd look at something that is still summery but not a pastel kind of colour if that makes sense. I just struggle to get on board with pastel ties, but is obviously my personal preference. Oh and congrats on the anniversary.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

PBB, I think that you with a navy linen suit and a white linen shirt, you could go for a lighter blue tie - such as a cornflower blue - or you could go for something like a burgundy, wine or darker red knit tie.

Or, if you're feeling a bit more daring, a kelly green tie would give quite a bit of "pop" to your outfit.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Have my 5 year anniversary coming up at the start of December. Going to a local Vineyard for lunch and a bit of a stroll. Going to wear a navy linen suit and brown penny loafers. I'm after a white linen shirt and after watching Skyfall, am quite partial to tab collars now.
Will a tab collar on a white linen shirt just be ridiculous? I quite like button down collars too however the shirt will be worn with a tie and will probably be included in my work shirt rotation. Thoughts?
Additionally, thinking of going a peach or coral tie. Either silk knit or cotton as below. Solid choice or too wedding/gimicky? I'm trying to go for a Trad aesthetic.
Peach cotton
Coral silk knit

Anniversary of what --?? My mind is racing....

Navy linen and brown shoes - sounds great - white linen shirt - great - as long as its not see through - a problem with most white linen shirts I've seen - I'm sure meister will pop in and disagree. Slip on shoes are ok - just not for me - I do hope you will be wearing socks - please just lie to me if you aren't.

Not a tab collar with linen suit or perhaps even on a linen shirt. Often a linen suit calls for no tie and a loose floppy long point collar- I'm sure meister will pop in and disagree. Blue linen always looks good. Linen shouldn't be too fitted.

I wasn't all that impressed by Bond's tab collar ( I was however v impressed with the movie) - but in general I'm a huge fan of tabs. Used to have a lot of them - mainly blue - but don't have any now. I have a view that they work best with a long point collar with points that are then resting down low a bit and a press stud - button is too fiddly to do up. Probably work best with a sportcoat and a striped rep tie or a plain knit - something like this - only longer points ideally.

I don't like pastel ties - never have - but they are all the go - sadly rarely worn well.

This is the sort of collar I like - not mad on the check though. On reflection the check looks better than I expected.

Last edited:

Pink Socks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Slip on shoes are ok - just not for me - I do hope you will be wearing socks - please just lie to me if you aren't.

I am wearing socks now...

Found a few more photographs and details on sizing here in answer to my own query. It still a little unsure how it will fit around stomach and how material will hang, but those are the risks of buying online. Think if I do get one it will be the medium as measurements seem good and I like polos on the trimmer side. Still open to advice on sunspel fit though.
http://www.endclothing.co.uk/brands/sunspel/sunspel-long-sleeve-polo-61013.html#prod-info-tab1
http://www.mrporter.com/intl/sizechart.mrp?productID=317688&tab=1&exclude=true
http://www.mrporter.com/product/317687
http://www.styleforum.net/t/112659/sunspel-polo-purchase

Ordered a white long sleeved polo in medium and a pair of classic boxer shorts (to round out the order). About $95 delivered.

Last edited:

TehBunny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah I even liked Kincaid :) His tie was sick!
Also guys 'Rugged Chinos' ; where would you go? More of a straight fit and more like denim than dress chinos. Right now I'm looking at Left Field's options; they're a bit on the pricey side ($40 shipping!!!) but if they wear anything like denim I'm happy! Also Romp you'll be glad to know that I'm getting the straight leg 3 sixteen's from Selfedge for Christmas (can give sizing advice when they get here) but first I need to ask them if they have any offfline stock T_T
P.S.
Bought the Christmas tree and kids are decorating :)
Got ingnored :p Some advice on chinos pls
P.S. Selfedge are having a full restock on the 1st of December!

streetminimal

Reaction score

P.S. Selfedge are having a full restock on the 1st of December!

Dude, if you have a question about chinos why don't you make a thread in streetwear and denim? or at least try and SEARCH for it in the forum? Not everyone is gonna stop by and give you a hand all the time.

Jesus Christ.

Dusty Brogues

Reaction score
Evening Tehbunny,
Probably out of my depth here, IMO Dr Denim have a great "casual" chino. I picked up a pair in the "donk" range which are a slim fit, and they wear really well, on the stiffer side of chino : ) I picked up a pair for $150, however l have since discovered you pick them up alot cheaper online. They are stocked at General Pants for sizing and all things hipster.

Windowpane1967

Reaction score

Evening all, last reminder for BNE Meetup this Friday.

RSVP by COB tomorrow so that I can make arrangements based on final numbers.

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am wearing socks now...
Ordered a white long sleeved polo in medium and a pair of classic boxer shorts (to round out the order). About $95 delivered.

I ordered one in navy last night from the End Clothing sale. Where did you get yours from, PS? Sunspel?

I'm hoping to try one of the Kent Wang long sleeve polos at some point - interesting features.

JimmyHoffa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For anyone that is pondering whether to get J. Crew Chino shorts, I received mine tonight. They are divine. They are made in China, but the 100% cotton is fantastic. The J. Crew box was nice and the labelling on the pants was superior. They are much better than my Cotton On shorts which are 98% cotton 2% elastine.

I got the 9" Stanton and the 9" Broken In. Both are wonderful. I am looking forward to wearing them this summer. Thanks Aussie SFers!

JimmyHoffa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh! And Rhodes and Beckett is having a 40% off sale! If their shirts, ties or cufflinks is your thing, enjoy!

Pink Socks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I ordered one in navy last night from the End Clothing sale. Where did you get yours from, PS? Sunspel?

I'm hoping to try one of the Kent Wang long sleeve polos at some point - interesting features.

Direct through Sunspel. Seemed to work out cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads