1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

2. TehBunny

TehBunny Senior member

Though Vass RTW and MTO costs the same (no extra charge for MTO). What they list as custom made shoes on their price list in my belief is where they do last adjustment for your foot at the store.

3. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

The knot is really thick. Perhaps it is a double FIH?

4. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

I was starting to think that. Cheers, Gramps.

5. fxh

fxh Senior member

Ties knots - look, maybe I'm just tired and emotional but - ties - you just tie them.

If its a very thin slippery tie I do a Pratt Knot, if its thick I do a sekret once over oriental knot - if its normal I do a FIH, sometimes with a thin tie I do a double FIH. I don't fret it. If it dimples good. If it doesn't - so what.

I'm habituated to having the end finish at my belt and the back blade too, so I can do it with my eyes closed and a hangover.*. But if it doesn't I tuck the back blade in my shirt or let it hang. Or I re do it. Or I use a tie pin or tie clasp.

The best paisley ties I have are in polyester - most people - even certain iGents from here - can't tell the difference.

Its just a tie - a male indulgence - not a precise engineering exercise in load bearing with lives at stake.

* both of which are often my default position in the am.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
  6. joiji

joiji Senior member

7. The False Prophet

The False Prophet Senior member

It's an atrocious picture. In real life, tie is gunmetal grey and the PS is black and white. Posted only for 'hey here's a patterned PS' value.

8. joiji

joiji Senior member

9. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

I don't remember if it was FIH or Double FIH. I would never use one of those contraptions Ernesto posted (though I think he was joking).

Ultimately, fxh is right - it's definitely a Melbourne thing. Love this city.

I don't know, Michael Sy. I just tie the knot. I have nothing to teach you, sadly.

10. Spandexter

Spandexter Senior member

Have a pair from the classic line. Leather is a bit stiff but no quality issues found. I smash them and they have held up remarkably well. I probably won't buy another pair as I would prefer to spend more and get carmina like others have said.

11. thebrownman

Watching Season 6 of Mad Men - has anyone here seen the first two episodes of the season?

12. fxh

fxh Senior member

I initially didn't watch it - then started and got hooked - sadly neither me nor Ms have any idea which episodes we've watched. We have to do some research. Don't miss George Gently or Max Smart for clothes.
    Hard to believe but I saw Chinatown for the first time last week laying on the floor, one chair in whole house, in a Japanese house in rural town in mountains Niigata prefecture - snow 2 metres deep outside. Sake and home made sushi and sashimi. Big discovery home made - improvised - do it yourself - sashimi - yum.

13. TehBunny

TehBunny Senior member

Lol; thought you were saying Carmina was a better option at the price point then Vass. If I knew how Vass fit I would be boring and buy 5 pairs of versatile Vass shoes and be done with it.

14. Manuhiri

Manuhiri Well-Known Member

Yep. Set up for another quality season. Great to see Linda Cardellini from Freaks and Geeks get a guernsey.

Watching Top of the Lake at the moment starring Peggy from Mad Men. Excellent series set in the Southern Lakes of NZ. Good to see the homeland in all its glory.

15. Nolvadex

Nolvadex Senior member

watching the first ep atm. it has been pretty decent

16. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Here are some rather poor-quality photos of both yesterday's and today's outfits.

I went with the "uniform" yesterday - a blue odd jacket (with brown suede elbow patches) and a pair of mid-grey trousers:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Details:
    - Jacket by Herringbone;
    - MTO shirt by Deer Style, from Acorn cloth;
    - Tie by Drake's;
    - Pocket square by Herringbone;
    - Trousers by Herringbone;
    - Shoes by C&J.

Today, I was rather more formal in a navy, chalkstripe suit in a worsted wool (Note - the first photo makes the suit look darker than it actually is and the second photo shows the true colour better):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Details:
    - Polo RL suit;
    - Borrelli shirt;
    - Drake's tie;
    - Kent Wang pocket square;
    - Zegna fatte a mano chocolate brown shoes.

1 person likes this.
  17. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Dunno looks about normal for me, for a FIH. It actually looks like pretty much every knot I tie every day and I rarely re-tie.

lol at the dimple maker thing, what a wank.

I find wrapping it tight on the last vertical loop (if that makes sense) before feeding it through is a good tip for a dimple. That may not make any sense though, it's hard to explain without a diagram.

18. thebrownman

I don't know. I just tie it. I don't have time or energy for higher order thinking in the morning.

1 person likes this.
  19. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

I've been meaning to reply to this JM... Love those pants. Reminded me of...
    There wasn’t much the Boston people could do about the New York people except not associate with them…So when he was first invited to a Boston party, thanks to his interest in the anti-developers campaign, he went with some trepidation and with his resentment tucked into his waistband like a .38. His mood darkened still more when he arrived in white ducks and an embroidered white cotton shirt, yoke-shouldered and open to the sternum—a little eccentric (actually a harmless sort of shirt known in Arizona as a Fruit Western) but perfectly in the mood of standard New York People Seaside Funk—and found that the Boston men, to a man, had on jackets and ties.

The jackets were mostly navy blazers, and the ties were mostly striped ties or ties with little jacquard emblems on them, but the pants had a go-to-hell air: checks and plaids of the loudest possible sort, madras plaids, yellow-on-orange windowpane checks, crazy-quilt plaids, giant houndstooth checks, or else they were a solid airmail red or taxi yellow or some other implausible go-to-hell color. They finished that off with loafers and white crew socks or no socks at all. The pants were their note of Haitian abandon…weekends by the sea. At the same time the jackets and ties showed they had not forgotten for a moment where the power came from.

-Tom Wolfe

20. Plestor

Plestor Senior member

Using the terminology of Fink and Mao (1999)(1), you'd be talking about the C(.) step?

I find you don't have to keep it overly tight there as long as you make sure you "pinch" the bottom of the tie when doing T. I find this also gives more pleasing triangular appearance vs the slightly oblong effect you can get if you get too much tension in the 2nd L(x) section.

The other thing to note is you tend to get a fair bit of "memory" from the ties so it becomes easier the more times you tie that particular tie.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.