Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JRolley

JRolley Well-Known Member

Hey guys I'm in the market for a new wallet. I want a nice slim and stylish wallet. Colour could be Black, Brown, Blue (Navyish). I would like one with an ID slot but I guess it's not necessary but it is preferred, coin purse wouldn't matter if it does or doesn't have one. I have 8 cards total that I use 2 of these are ID cards and the others are just important ones. I don't want to be spending too much, all suggestions are welcome :)

Thanks,
    Jordon

Last edited: Nov 20, 2012

2. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

There is a huge discussion on wallets about 20 pages back.

3. JRolley

JRolley Well-Known Member

Sorry haha didn't see it :) I'll go check it out now. Thanks

4. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

+1 - have a read and hopefully it'll be helpful :)

5. DartagnanRed

DartagnanRed Senior member

EDIT: I was being harsh, sorry. I will think of some ways to help guys like you get access to the information you want in an easier way.

6. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

Yep, we must be similar. Slightly shorter arms means that we get gunned down on shirts that are tailored more towards the longer armed spectrum.

MJ Bale shirts for their 37 neck is 64.5cm. This is max 2cm too big in sleeve length for me. The 37cm neck is also too tight, it gives the choking sensation. The 38cm neck is just about right, but that comes in at a hefty 65cm sleeve length. R&B and Herringbone measure from the neck to the end of the sleeve, which I think is completely stupid, so we can't compare those. They would be very similar to MJ Bale sizing.

Having a think about it, HC might be just a smidge short at 62cm, maybe I am a 63, but it will certainly be a very small margin. I am surprised he described his shirts as 'plenty in the sleeves'. I ain't that skinny - 73cm around the waist (belly button). It does mean I usually have to get shirts taken in. However, I don't really like that 'tight chest and waist' look. HC shirts are also the tightest I have seen yet (from measurements provided).

Very smart idea with your Saville Row shirt. IMO, that will definitely be the best option in the long run. We are the same, take the sleeves and pants up, sometimes the fabric at the back. Chest and shoulders are perfect. MTM all the way.

7. appolyon

appolyon Senior member

8. PapaRubbery

PapaRubbery Senior member

Ha, MJ Bale I went with a 38 Slim and a 39 Super Slim. The difference in the latter was (aside from sleeve length) slightly looser collar - the extra slim cut was offset by going up a size larger. Seeing as how the sleeves were going to have to be shortened anyway - an extra cm wasn't going to change anything. HC looks to be the best, for an OTR arm length.

If you can get MTM done in person, just for one shirt, and then make all future shirts off that, I think you'll come out laughing. Unless you have an excellently fitting shirt currently, to take measurements off. I trust you'll go down the Luxire path before me, so if you can post pictures and info as you go, that'd be wonderful!

9. DartagnanRed

Admittedly, I haven't been an active member for long. I have also asked or posted things that I'm sure have been annoying or frustrating, but I don't think I've asked this particular type of question much. I did delete my original post, I was simply frustrated after having read some things posted in other threads.

10. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

It isn't so much the users fault, it the design of the forum. It is damn hard to search for information in this thread. When you are ignorant like myself, you just have question after question you want to ask. For me, it is the temptation to hold off and try my best to source the answer myself.

Anyway, Click Frenzy was a complete disaster. The website has been a failure since it launched. Despite being given ample warning that their servers are not strong enough, they still went ahead.

11. DartagnanRed

Whilst doing some research for the wiki to make up for being mean, I came across this https://www.facebook.com/zinkandsons

There is some great stuff on there! How many Australian bespoke tailors do you know with a facebook page? Fantastic to see.

12. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Had a very good session with Tom at P. Johnson on Saturday. I was in the market for a summer suit, probably something in grey. We went through some fabric books, and I found myself leaning more towards a dark brown. I ended up choosing a 3 ply LP Zealander Flower Super 120s fabric which had a bit more texture to it than the solid browns we looked at.

The suit will be a 2 button, notch lapel. I went for 2 patch pockets and mid-brown horn buttons, with a view to wearing the coat as a sports coat occasionally. Pants will be flat front, no cuff.

Also getting a pink shirt in a Thomas Mason Royal Oxford. Semi-spread soft collar, french cuff.

Really looking forward to seeing these in a few weeks time.

13. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

^ Lovely. If only the tie knots weren't so symmetrical. Ew.

14. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

Apart from the colour, this sounds exactly like my first P Johnson suit (also LP Zealander Flower). Looking forward to seeing the results!

15. blahman

blahman Senior member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.