1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TehBunny

TehBunny Senior member

Thanks for the cashmere advice! Liking the johnstons ones as they fall near my price range otherwise I've been looking for old cashmere on ebay and pringle seems to be the easiest to find though nothing that I really want is there. Gerry does jcrew's heather grey fit your bill?

2. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

Johnston cardies? i only wear my Locke jumpers casually so its no problem and if I am in an office its just lambswool or merino jumpers

3. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Fit aside which is obviously important, I think you'll find those a funny shade of grey to pair coats with, you really want a mid to light grey and while these aren't charcoal they are still pretty dark.

Agree a tropical wool is better than a cotton twill, the cotton will wear hotter than you think, not breathe that well and aren't really seasonally appropriate through winter because they just look a bit funny with wool coats. If you don't want to wear wool in summer then I'd be looking at linen, if you can deal with the wrinkles but again not seasonally appropriate through winter.

Have you looked at the Howard Yount? They sell out quickly though.

I'll be releasing tropical trousers for summer this year but that's obviously a ways off yet, I'm still only just getting in to the sampling stages at the moment.

4. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

I would love to grab a pair from howard yount, only my legs are columns and I'm not sure I'd fit into a 'slim cut' without looking like peter pan. I'll measure and see.

My trousers that came with my mudgee weave suit are perfect, only I'm worried that they will be too work suit like to wear with odd jackets.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
  5. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

There are no measurements for a 38. There's also no clarity on what their shoulder to shoulder measurement means.

6. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

Fellow Aussie members,

I'd like a quick sale on these burgundy cap toe Cheaney shoes because they're just sitting here in their box (see link here >> http://www.styleforum.net/t/313929/...urgundy-calf-size-9f-uk-10d-us-worn-once/0_50)

These have been worn for one day only, from home, to work, and then home again. Now, they're for sale. I'm dropping the price to $175 AUD shipped within Australia. Bear in mind retail on these is 225 pounds! And they sell new at McCloud Shoes for $550.

Please PM if interested.

7. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

Don't be put off wearing as separates just because the pants belong to a suit. Pinstripes are generally a no-no but plain grey suit pants like the Mudgee would look fine as odd trousers IMO. MJ Bale should sell you an extra pair of pants; in fact they had a "buy a 2nd pair of trou for $100" deal not long ago IIRC. My final piece of advice would be to actually have a dedicated second pair, otherwise the pants may develop a different shade to its matching jacket due to the different pattern of wear.

8. TehBunny

TehBunny Senior member

Oli rather than buy online for your 'perfect' fit of pants I'd say go around and try on and brick and mortars and try to nail the fit once that's done you can get those copied; this is what I've been doing and the initial Overpriced pants have paid off in the long run as I just had a pair of cotton twill pants shipped which were copied by Luxire from a pair of Hiltl's and they fit me perfectly! They also have the extra details which I wanted such as customizable cuff height and side adjusters.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
  9. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

Hence why I bought two. Thanks guys :)

10. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Yeah could be an issue but you could also size up a size in the fuller (American made) cut and take the waist in. I've got the mudgee weave too and a 34 in both gives me similar fits around the thighs, with the waist taken in an inch. The HY's are slimmer from the knee to the bottom though, but they aren't tight by any means.

11. nabilmust

nabilmust Senior member

I was just ogling this for the longest time: http://www.johnsmedley.com/worldwide/ss13-bryn-in-silver

There are some plain options on the Armoury store website. I remember looking at the JCrew website, too - not sure if that helps.

12. The False Prophet

The False Prophet Senior member

13. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

Getting a visit from suitshop today.

:)

14. Gerry Nelson

Thanks, man. That exact Smedley cardigan is what got me searching. I would have thought that a plain grey merino cardigan would be available at a number of different pricepoints but I guess that the more specific you are about an item, the more difficult it becomes to find.

15. ColdEyedPugilist

ColdEyedPugilist Senior member

Hi all

Really, really off-tangent subject coming up!

Does anyone want 3 showlink tickets (2 adult, 1 child) for the Easter Show. Retail cost is $98.50, but I'm willing to make it $92.00, which is still cheaper than the on-line print version. Tickets include public transport to and from the show, the last day of which is tomorrow.

Would have loved to have gone, but my little girl fell ill during the long weekend, and we couldn't make it. Hate to see them go to waste.

If anyone's interested, please PM me, and we can arrange to meet in the city or lower North Shore today.

Cheers.

16. CHECKstar

CHECKstar Senior member

Not online Gez, but the other week while in Sydney I stopped by the Herringbone outlet on the way back to the airport and they had a whole pile in 'silver' going for about $100. I sifted through the entire pile looking for a small but with no luck (The Herringbone cardigans fit a little on the large side and while I am normally a 'medium', I am a small in their cardigans).

17. boff

boff Senior member

18. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
  19. Gerry Nelson

Thanks for that. I might pop into Herringbone on Collins St and see if they have any in stock.

20. Romp

Romp Senior member

Hope it all goes well, keen to hear what you guys come up with

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.