1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

Haha cheers, I am getting a few!

Looking to sell my RMs and developing a more british shoe wardrobe, then I can take you lot on :)

2. tesuquegolfer

tesuquegolfer Senior member

3. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

How long did the tremors last?

4. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

Has the guy on the bottom left got a lapel pin or did a cherry blossom petal fall on his suit at just the right place?

5. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

http://www.theage.com.au/business/-2gs8f.html

Outback outfitter R.M.Williams, owned by former News Ltd chief Ken Cowley, is believed to be up for sale and could fetch a price of up to $100 million as several local and international fashion brands circle the famous Australian label.

6. jaypee

jaypee Senior member

Nice choice, got some pics?

I read the they were selling as they had no one to pass the business on to? I hope it stays local

7. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Probably a lapel pin - they're pretty popular in Japan, either as a sartorial accessory (generally for young men in very skinny suits) or as pins for a company or association, so as to show loyalty to or membership of the organisation.

fxh - I hope that you are having a great time in Japan. You arrived just at the right time, as the cherry blossoms only started blooming in Tokyo a few days ago.

8. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member

Counting down till the weekend....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Herringbone Sydney
    Cottonwork
    Henry Carter Burgundy Grenadine
    Meermin MTO
    Random Square from Japan

9. aussiejake

aussiejake Senior member

Any help with this guys?

10. ColdEyedPugilist

ColdEyedPugilist Senior member

Charles Nahkle button-down in Monti pinpont oxford...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Commissioning this shirt reminds me why it's good to have a close working relationship with your tailor.

Couldn't make it down to see him, so I quizzed him over the phone about appropriate fabrics (oxford, sky blue stripes on white). Knowing me well, he picked this one as a fabric I'd probably like. Received the shirt in the mail today.

Love it!

11. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

Bettina Liano's recent swipe at Melbourne's shopping culture was the result of her embattled business rather than ''exorbitant'' rents, an agent says.

CBRE associate director Max Cookes confirmed that Ms Liano was evicted from her Melbourne store, but said the premises was leased within a week of her departure for a substantially higher rent.

''We had to change the locks on the boutique at 269 Little Collins Street and put up a notice of re-entry as the tenant was very far behind in their rent,'' Mr Cookes said.

The action prompted Ms Liano, a well-known fashion designer, to retort store rents were too high and the CBD was like a ghost town.
    Advertisement

Ms Liano, who has just opened her first international store in New York, said high rents were emptying Melbourne's fashion lanes of everything but ''tumbleweeds''.

Ms Liano has reportedly turned her back on Melbourne for the Big Apple where rents are more affordable and there are ''actual people'' shopping.

But Mr Cookes said there was a lot of interest in Liano's old store. Little Collins Street houses fashion brands such as Scanlan & Theodore, Jigsaw and Spencer & Rutherford. All have recently renewed their leases

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/business/p...liano-gibes-20130326-2gs47.html#ixzz2Oh4ryoLe

12. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

I usually use Chronixc Fix on Greville Street, Prahran. Not a tailor though, an alterations place.

1 person likes this.
  13. aussiejake

aussiejake Senior member

Good results/quality? Remember any pricing?

14. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

Speaking of RMs, does anyone here have a suggestion for a pair that are more or less waterproof, e.g. storm welt, rubber sole? Would like to support the Aussies where I can...

Edit: I should add I've looked at the Henly but I'd prefer something with a regular chisel toe or narrow toes rather than the wide toes - they look a bit too bulbous IMO.

Perhaps a better question to ask is if anyone who has experience with MTO knows if you can add a storm welt as a MTO element on, say, a Craftsman...

Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
  15. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

PSA: There is 20% off at TM Lewin at the moment if anyone wants to pick up a Mac for the rainier weather. Pretty good deal at $285 delivered I think (MJ Bale's, which looks identical, is $500...).

16. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

I wish RMs weren't so ubiquitous among the hipsters of Melbourne, even in summer!... I dread to see what the winter will bring.

17. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

Found this in my wallet.

[​IMG]

I have been happy with the quality and prices (though I am usually putting quite good quality clothes so am happy to spend a bit getting them altered correctly).

The woman has a good eye, understands the results you want (she is reasonably young and of Greek origin, I think) and has a decent turnaround time. Like all alterations places it can be a little brisk and impersonal (tiny changing area).

My main issues with getting alterations, and I sure I am not alone, are -

1. Effort - Finding/making the time to go and then collect
    2. Communication - Articulating what I want done/how I want something to look

As always I have a few things I need altered but for a few reasons (time, effort, cost, need) have not got around to sorting.

1 person likes this.
  18. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

You scrub up well as always Jason. Your meermins and carminas get a bit of a flog too!

What's the etiquette with doing up your second button only as opposed to the top? Also, where can you learn to do more subtle PS folds like the one you've got? I'm over the TV box and scary jesture look.

19. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

That's a 3-roll-2 jacket Oli2012, so the lapel rolls to the middle button naturally. You can, with mediocre results, attempt the same on a 3-button jacket. I wouldn't do that. Most of Herringbone's jackets pre-Van Laack takeover feature 3-roll-2 button fastening, only some feature it since. I prefer it to a regular 2-button as the lapel rolls elegantly and I just think it looks nice.

20. aussiejake

aussiejake Senior member

Great post thank you.

But damn, seems it'll cost near $200 to get my 4 pairs of pants hemmed and tapered. I wonder if MJ Bale will help me out, as they didn't slim them as much as I'd like.

Edit: Scratch that, with a cuff the length is perfect on the pants. It's just the leg opening all the way up the leg is too baggy. I'm guessing it will cost ~$40 per pair to get the whole leg tapered?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.