Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

Sorry, I just have to bump that pic of that guy in shorts at the top of the page. Too disturbing.

[​IMG]

2. fxh

fxh Senior member

As journey man has pointed out this advice is possibly correct and but it also is like many questions asked here, lacking context and an objective view of the interaction. That is not complete. However this is the internet and lack of knowledge never stops any opinions.

Basically anything can be altered in almost anyway - it may cost a small fortune or may throw out elements of the piece of clothing but it can be done.( I think theres a post back a few pages about altering an expensive dinner suit - also see the concept of "sunk costs" ) What your alterationist (its not clear if its a seamstress or tailor or alterations person - all are a bit different) has possibly done is to tell you in their own way that its not a positive cost benefit exercise given the "normal" price most people are willing to pay.

Slimming or taking in, a shirt below the armholes one of the easiest things to do . Hard to muck up even, unless you cut of excess before trying on and go too slim or do some silly things up near the armhole. Slimming/ taking in sleeves is a bit more technical. Running the machine down the seam and taking in the sleeve can be done in a quick and dirty way by veering (not technical speak) in to the armhole opening, so you might end up with a large armhole opening but slim sleeve and slim body - looking a bit odd. (OTOH if you keep your jacket on at all times no one will see it - but then they wont see your unaltered shirt either!)

In theory if you are slimming both the body and sleeve then you can make a smaller armhole at the same time ( I'm waving my hands around to show how and why) but then you are in the realm of expensive work and it would possibly be cheaper to buy a new shirt that fits.

Without being rude it might to be a good time to ask why you want THIS shirt slimmed so much and why not buy one that fits?

Trousers - depends how much taking in they need to make "less baggy" and where. Theres again a limit with trousers how much they can be altered around the general hips and thighs area without effecting pockets and other complicated things. Down below the hips,waist, thighs almost anything, cuffs, slimming leg etc, is a much simpler job.

Again it is worth asking are the pants special enough to risk ruining the look by seeking to make them too much what they are not and spending half the price of a new pair that fit?

Last edited: Nov 18, 2012

3. Windowpane1967

Windowpane1967 Senior member

See what I mean...men and shorts!!! Hahah

4. fxh

fxh Senior member

Great - this will result in even more wrong sized shoes winging their away back and forth across the world.!

5. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

I just purchased a jacket overnight. Will let you know once it arrives.

6. Windowpane1967

Couldn't agree more fxh. Just get some new gear. All this alteration caper ... I dont have the patience for it all. Taking trousers in to put a cuff on is about the limit of my need for alterations thank goodness.

7. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

Nice work TBM!

Which one did you end up getting?

8. Windowpane1967

True???? Has that been your experience? I see quite a few SF'ers who love their shoes.

9. Prof. B. Bear

Prof. B. Bear Senior member

There's a massive Suit Supply thread on the front page so you should probably read that. Certain models have a higher buttoning point than others. Others have shorter jacket lengths and slimmer pants. IIRC, the Sienna model has the lowest buttoning point.

10. bjd85

bjd85 Member

Thanks for the opinions all. As mentioned, I am tall and thin so clothes rarely, if ever, fit me off the rack and MTM is out of my budget. Unfortunately "just get clothes that fit" is easier said than done, and says nothing for the wardrobe full of shirts and pants I already have.

11. Prof. B. Bear

Prof. B. Bear Senior member

Indochino. Get one of their essential suits for $379USD. Measure yourself or get someone else too. Or just measure your best fitting suit and make adjustments as necessary. If you can't afford $379 then maybe hold off until you earn a bit more.

People will harp on that Indochino is shit etc. However the majority of bad examples you see are because the idiot buying had no clue how to measure themselves. I'm a 2 time repeat customer and would buy from again. Plus I'm like you (6'1, 78kg, 30" waist, shoulders to fit a 42 jacket and bigger than average quads).

12. fxh

fxh Senior member

Mmmh how tall and how thin?
    Theres a lot of it about - you mightn't be that far off the average.

Where are you? Theres lots of inexpensive ways to get ok pants and shirts that fit. Well at least not a lot dearer than getting stuff altered.

Tell us more

edit: I might add that in spite of a lot of the juvenile swinging dick talk around on some forums theres no shame in not be able to afford to spend a lot of $$ on clothes. In fact starting out its generally wise not to.

13. bjd85

bjd85 Member

I have been getting better with buying shirts that fit properly, having measured myself for the first time a few weeks ago. I just don't really want to wear shirts that fit me moderately well if I can get them slightly altered to fit perfectly. These are all shirts I bought before I really understood what I was doing, and they're all from different brands so each one needs something different (some are baggy around the waist, some have sleeves too long, some too short, etc.). So it's not the end of the world if I can't get them fixed, I was just surprised that something as simple as bringing in a shirt around the waist caused the alteration lady to baulk.

I've never even looked into MTM shirts in the past, but if they're reasonably priced I could see myself getting a shirt as an experiment in the future. Not even sure where to begin with that though.

Also, I don't need suits - biz cas is what I wear every day, so really just trousers/chinos and dress shirts. I'm 6'3" and about 70kgs at my heaviest, with incomprehensibly skinny arms.

(in before "do you even lift?")

EDIT: And I'm located in South Melbourne.

14. DartagnanRed

DartagnanRed Senior member

Mm, unfortunately the high button point seems to be in most of their suits as well. Compare one of the worst offenders http://us.suitsupply.com/suit-blue-plain-napoli-p3425/P3425,en_US,pd.html?start=13&cgid=Suits to something like this. There is a big difference and I think it makes a big difference to the perceived height and weight of the wearer.

[​IMG]

15. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

@ bjd85 - You could get one or two proper made to measure done locally and then use that as a template for some of the online mtm suppliers.

Turf the ones that don't fit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.