1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

Meermin do a good Chukka for cheap. Only about $220 delivered, you can't beat that.

2. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

Good advice JM!

Except, that is a really 'kid friendly' kind of day.
    Edit: just realised the gentlemen has kids.

Perfect day. +1 to JM.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  3. md2010

md2010 Senior member

Lol. This is classic !

4. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

Yes, but his kids are 18 and 20. They probably want to go clubbing and then sleep until 1pm :)

5. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Good point! Although I am sure that they will still enjoy Taronga Zoo and the Maritime Museum, as well as a ferry trip out through the Harbour heads to Manly (or does the ferry go near, but not through the heads? I can't remember anymore).

By the way, if I remember correctly, the drinking age in New Mexico is 21, whereas it is 18 in Oz, so tesuquegolfer's kids will be able to have a beer here in Australia (which may, or may not, be a good thing).

6. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

I think you made the right call with beeswax leather, they age nicer than the suede.

7. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

Personally, if I had only 9 days in Australia I wouldn't go to Uluru, I'd stick to Qld/Sydney. You don't want to be spending too much of your holiday on a plane, especially as it takes long enough to get here and back to the US. Also, it's probably not good karma to climb a sacred indigenous site. Only slightly fewer people have actually died climbing Uluru in the last 50 years than have been taken by sharks...

tesuquegolfer: hope you and your family have a great time in our country. We're a friendly bunch so be sure to ask any specific questions and I'm sure you'll get nothing but good vibes and honest advice from this thread.

8. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

Just a shout out that pinksocks and Gerry will happily attest to - if you're looking at chukkas, also consider Christian Kimber as a local option. If you're not in Melbourne to try a pair on then at least you won't be stung by international return postage fees if they don't fit as you'd hoped. Regardless, they're lovely looking shoes and both pinksocks and Gerry wear them especially well.

9. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

Of course, in Qld it's not so much the sharks as the crocs that will get you.

Or the snakes and spiders...and the jellyfish can be a bit lethal as well.

10. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Good point - although thankfully they won't be here in stinger (jellyfish) season as it usually runs from November through to May.

11. sliq

sliq Senior member

if in sydney, do the bridge climb.

12. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

Just as well. I was on the verge of suggesting they stay at home!

13. Plestor

Plestor Senior member

?? North of say Double Island Point you get no nearshore waves. Otherwise you're looking at a trip to the outer reef which is fickle, hard to organise and not really beginner suitable. Don't worry about the wildlife, you're in far more danger driving there especially given it will be on the reverse side of the road. South African Sharks are worse for the record.

Fwiw, Aug tends to be pretty average (QLD, N NSW) or Cold (everywhere else) for surfing (well N WA but that's not realistic here)... The latter is somewhat out of the way tho.

--

On non-surfing related stuff I'll echo everyone's comments on the size we have roughly the same landmass as the (whole) USA. I think you really need to focus on exactly what you want to achieve (see / do) in the time and then work out what is most geographically compatible.

Fwiw its hard to give exact suggestion given the age of your children, at that age I really didn't want to do the normal tourist things so it will really depend on interests ect.

14. eightace

eightace Senior member

+1

15. Romp

Romp Senior member

Oh yeah - kids are 18 .. take them to a bar .. its legal to drink over 18 here vs 21 in US [​IMG]

16. AriGold

AriGold Senior member

Yeah alcohol is so expensive here that kids can't afford to actually get drunk!

17. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

1) I can vouch for this. I'm very happy with my pair of Kimber boots

2) TBM, your cheque is in the mail ...

18. PapaRubbery

PapaRubbery Senior member

Buy goon.

Quantity has a quality of it's own.

19. Dusty Brogues

Dusty Brogues Senior member

Extreme caution should be taken with the outbreak of Shiny Roger David suits on the Gold Coast

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.