Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

2. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

Mine are J Crew, Uniqlo or chinos that I got bored of as pants that I hemmed into shorts. In fact, the majority of my shorts began life as pants.

3. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

JM, I decided to go with a couple of pairs from J. Crew. My entire wardrobe consists of 1 pair of 'non sports/wear around the house' shorts - those Cotton On shorts. So I badly needed some.

$43 and $53 a pop, with the 30% thingo it's not bad. The LE photos just didn't float my boat. With postage, they would have cost the same however, I think the J. Crew shorts are little more 'fashion forward'. Ah well, another SF purchase :\.

EDIT: Is it bad when you seriously can't be fucked going into the city and trying on a heap of brands, just for shorts? I know I run the risk of sizing/styling, but fuck, it saves heaps of time.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2012

4. JRolley

JRolley Well-Known Member

What do you guys think about the Spring/Summer 100% cotton chinos at Country Road? $99 and they have a nice array of colours, they seem to fit me really nicely as well. Do you think they're worth it? If not is there a better option in Brisbane?

5. elvish

elvish Senior member

what colours are you after? i have some bnwt Leopold blue, khaki and brown shorts in sizes 30 - 34 that i';ll flog off cheap ($30 cost about 100 retail). they're made in Australia too.

brand is http://www.leopoldsempire.com/

6. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

Can also endorse Stephen's excellent service.

7. Marbles

Marbles Senior member

Kicked off with the Legate today. First impressions are that the 73 last is nothing like the Loake 026 (Herring Knightsbridge), although one of the CS reps at Herring said they were very close. Very tight across the toes, but seem to be loosening up verrrry slightly.

For now, ouch.

8. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

Don't know why they told you the 73 last is like the Loake 026. They're not at all similar. The 73 last from Church, also the Cheaney 2003 last (they're the same), are best sized up half a size, i.e. get a 9 if you usually wear 8.5. At least, that's been my experience and the experience of many on this forum and AAAC.

9. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

+1 to that. Loake lasts tend to be pretty generous, and the Church's 73 never was. Puzzling advice that... I would say the C&J 348/358 is as close a fit to the Church's 73/Cheaney 2003 as I've experienced - both are narrow though the C&J is longer and sleeker, and has a tad more room in the vamp. Definitely advisable to 1/2 size up in both from your "Loake size"...

Out of interest did you get the F or G fitting marbles?

10. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

This is usually fxh's job, but he seems to be late to the party today:

http://www.theage.com.au/business/myer-djs-online-plans-tell-em-theyre-dreaming-20121119-29kua.html

The pair's 'omni channel' internet strategies – pretty much cut-and-paste jobs from Nordstrom's annual report – are based on a lack of understanding of the businesses they are trying to copy, fundamental differences between US and Australian retail structures and the simple mistake of comparing apples with oranges. Or perhaps sheep with goats.

I pretty agree with everything he has written, i.e. that DJ's/Myer's online approach is half-arsed, does not address the major causes of their woes and isn't suited to the Australian retail climate. Still, a step in the right direction nonetheless

I am actually about to purchase something from theiconic.com.au, something which seems to have been advertised in a bit of a blitz recently. Go Aus online retail!

11. Marbles

Marbles Senior member

Actually they feel pretty similar to the Meermin Olfe last. I'm thinking the G width would have been fine. Hopefully they stretch out just a little across the toe cap seam.

Edit: I got the 10 F, as the 10.5F in the Knightsbridge were too big

12. bjd85

bjd85 Member

The Iconic is tops. I'm more than willing to support local businesses if they choose not to charge extortionary shipping rates. It may take a few more years but eventually Australia will have an online retail ecosystem as robust and varied as the States'. Whether DJs and Myer are a part of that is up to them, but their vision may be clouded by decades of "the old way". (See: newspapers.)

13. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

Your suede pair should give quite a bit. You might also think about taking them to your cobbler to stretch them across the vamp for you.

14. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

I agree. He's pretty much gotten to the heart of the matter. I had a look at the Myer FAQ at http://shop.myer.com.au/shop/mystore/faqs and that's just a joke!

15. Windowpane1967

Windowpane1967 Senior member

Thanks for posting the piece from the Age. Interesting, not surprising.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.