1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

No Vaas, alaas,
    Though Edward Greens
    Can always be seens.

2. jaypee

jaypee Senior member

Anyone know where I can get my hands on a nice cashmere tie locally? I'm thinking orange or grenadine.

3. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

4. jaypee

jaypee Senior member

Cheers Lazy! have messaged HC and will grab one of two of those when they're stocked

5. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

:satisfied:

This may interest shorter gents, or might be good for Japanese denim?

Rakuten have $10 international shipping until the 28th:

http://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/97646

6. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

Does anyone have a Kent Wang rugby? Any comments? I need some casual l/s tops for autumn weekend wear, thinking about doing the MTM thing as I think the regular ones would be too short in the arms. Anyone done this?

7. jaypee

jaypee Senior member

Hahaha misspelling Lachy to Lazy through laziness. The irony

8. nabilmust

nabilmust Senior member

I've got 2 of their rugbys in size S - fits in the chest area perfectly (I'm a 36 in jackets), but the forearms are tight. Makes folding the sleeves very difficult.

9. Romp

Romp Senior member

+1 ive never had luck with Kent Wang - sizing and fabric inconsistent so i gave up

10. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

Yes I had a polo that was a full inch shorter than it should have been. They refunded me the money + shipping, though. I did love the fabric and collar. They have .75" measurement tolerance for the measurements on their website, which is a bit much IMO.

The cufflinks, pocket squares, tie and umbrella I have from them are all fantastic, though.

11. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

Thanks guys. I'm sort of in between a 36 and a 38 jacket, so I ordered a medium rugby, and will think about the MTM thing if the fit is signicantly off. If it all goes to hell I figure I can probably resell it on B&S and only take a small hit.

On a related note, does anyone have a tip (brands/styles) for this kind of casual/weekend wear for cooler weather? I'd like to wear an OBCD+knit or similar but what with all the baby puke, I don't always have time to iron, and also that can be a bit of a dull look imo. Uniqlo is my go-to for this kind of thing but nothing of theirs (at least nothing available on ebay) takes my fancy at the moment.

12. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Toby, I agree that Uniqlo makes good casual stuff and I often pick up some polo shirts and other casual stuff on trips to Japan.

However, most of my casual gear comes from Land's End, as they make very affordable ODBDs, polo shirts, chino shorts and so on that are excellent value for the prices charged. I've basically been living in Land's End gear on weekends now for the past couple of years.

13. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

A bit more expensive, but Gant Rugger makes nice stuff. I think their quality has slipped a bit recently. What used to be 100% wool will now be a wool/poly blend

14. nabilmust

nabilmust Senior member

I would pass on their white rugby. I mean, I have a lot of love for Kent, he's a pleasant man, but the fabric on that polo really looks cheap after one wash (regular machine wash, hung dry, hand ironed).

Caveat: it's not like I expected some fine combed cotton from the likes of Sunspel, but IMHO, it didn't match up to RL Blue Label, even.

The navy one is fine, save for the sleeves.

I figured I'd wear them while travelling, and under a sportscoat or a blazer.

15. appoooh

appoooh Senior member

Swung into the Chifley Plaza Herringbone store at lunch and was surprised to learn that the Crockett & Jones Poole loafers in brown and blue suede are currently 50% off. There was no sale tag on the shoes and they are still full price (albeit with the wrong photo) on http://shop.herringbone.com/

I almost bought a pair but I struggle with suede, it doesn't look smart enough to me.

16. Romp

Romp Senior member

i love suede

did u get blue or brown?

EDIT: oh you ALMOST bought...

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  17. ethandesu

ethandesu Senior member

I am increasingly avoiding SF, and this exemplifies why. The anal-retentive rule following and boring, conservative mentalities rip all the joy out of dressing. The amount of times I have heard men in gray suits and black shoes tell me what I should be wearing and why leaves me depressed. Many of the people involved in this industry truly enjoy what they do, they love dressing and there is a definite creative buzz when working with others in the industry. The 'clothing enthusiasts' come along and tell us how we should be wearing our clothing, never bothering to consider that we are not them, we are not trying to express what they express. It is like classical musicians telling a jazz musician that their music is wrong, their expression wrong, because they don't follow the rules that others confine themselves to.
    Lighten the fuck up. Does it really bother you that my tie isn't straight? Do you really think you know how comfortable I would be in heavy cotton, speaking from a different country? Do you think you know our inspirations for dressing, when we live completely different lives, with vastly different career paths, social circles and even different cultures?

desu

3 people like this.
  18. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

^ I just don't think you look very good in that photo. Whether it's right or wrong, I don't know or care, but you certainly don't look good in that photo IMO.

19. ethandesu

ethandesu Senior member

Man, my reality doesn't even include you.

5 people like this.
  20. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

There's joy and enthusiasm in this thread, Ethan.

We have our moments, as is the case with all online forums.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.